BT price increases September 2018

Comments

• Wail
    Wail Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have received the email. My agreement comes to an end in early September. If I switch to the Vodafone deal, do I need to speak to BT so that I can leave penalty free or can I just tell Vodafone to take my service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wail wrote: »
    I have received the email. My agreement comes to an end in early September. If I switch to the Vodafone deal, do I need to speak to BT so that I can leave penalty free or can I just tell Vodafone to take my service.

Yes, you have to tell them that you're leaving due to the price rise otherwise they'll slap ETC fees on you.
  • Signed up to Plusnet two days ago fully expecting an email or phone call from BT asking me to stay but I,ve received nothing from them.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Three BT accounts at three addresses, no emails about the price rise on any of the three accounts yet.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Initiated a move and phoned up BT. They offered me £21.99/month for 18 months for Fibre and Landline. Basically the same package I was on plus the lucky increase in speed I had a few months back (36 > 72). £18.99 is line rental and £3 is fibre for the split.

I paid line rental up front, but apparently if I wanted to again, I'd have to wait until this is over, so call back months later even when the contract is renewed for the above. So currently £3 month until the line rental increase expires.

Now broadband + cashback.....Makes it cheaper a lot but I am happy with BT's service and I'd be paying less than I was for my 2nd contract £24.99/month. Renewing would be my 3rd contract.

My 1st year was the best with BT. TCB of £160+ plus BT's £150 giftcard. I won't ever see that again....

I "now" need to make a decision....
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Did you receive a price rise email from B.T?
  • Signed up to Plusnet two days ago fully expecting an email or phone call from BT asking me to stay but I,ve received nothing from them.

That's odd. Last time I signed up to another provider, they got in touch by email a few hours later, then I received a letter in the post a couple of days later.

Do you know if they've put a 'no held to term' on your contract? The woman at BT told me that without it, you get slapped with early exit fees if you're in contract - don't know if that's true/ofcom-compliant.

I've ended up staying. Paying £3 less than now at £35.49 for unlimited BT infinity 1, anytime calls and caller display. Not as good as some of the other deals on here but I can live with it.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think Ofcom rules state that the ISP must inform you of the price rise and give you the opportunity to inform them you want to cancel .
    Swapping providers off your own bat is not advised as many have been charged for breaking a valid contract .
    Posts on this subject going back three years or so .
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Signed up to Plusnet two days ago fully expecting an email or phone call from BT asking me to stay but I,ve received nothing from them.

Straight forward swap provider and contract will be held to term .Not a cancellation under ofcom rules re price increase free get out .
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    contacted bt about the price rise haven't gone through the cancelling yet but they offered 18 month contract but if they increase prices again you just cancel its 33.00 for landline fibre broadband upto 76mb anytime calls and bt sports isn't that a good deal or can this be beat ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure