Phone given to a six year old?

Comments

• Oakdene wrote: »
    That would be me then when I gave my 6 year old my old iPhone so I could keep in touch & call him in the evenings to see how he was after I moved out.

Admittedly this was because if I called my ex wife's number she wouldn't answer but still....

Another recalcitrant ex. Seems to be a theme here :D

6 is really to young to have a phone at all, let alone unsupervised
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • onlyroz wrote: »
    Or listen to music, the radio or podcasts.

Or to take photographs.

Or to learn another language (Duolingo is excellent, and my daughter has been using Google Translate to speak to me in Spanish).

My also daughter uses hers as the controller for her Just Dance game on the PS4.

..aged 6???
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ..aged 6???
    My daughter is 9. She has certainly been listening to music, taking photographs and playing dance games since she was 6. Learning languages is a more recent thing.

I was simply trying to highlight some of the reasons why a child might want to use a smart device like an iPod or phone. Not all activities are as brain-rotting as some people on this thread seem to be suggesting.
    My daughter is 9. She has certainly been listening to music, taking photographs and playing dance games since she was 6. Learning languages is a more recent thing.

I was simply trying to highlight some of the reasons why a child might want to use a smart device like an iPod or phone. Not all activities are as brain-rotting as some people on this thread seem to be suggesting.

I'm gobsmacked anyone would let a small child have an iphone or tablet. It's far too young, imo, though whether it's any worse than just dumping them in front of the tv for hours on end is probably a moot point.

What really takes the biscuit is stuff like this
    https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Digital-iPotty-Activity-Seat/dp/B00B3G8UGQ
    I mean, how irresponsible and clueless would you have to be to give that to a toddler!! And they wonder why our kids have screen addiction and mental health issues..
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    What can you do if the child is living with her mother? You won't be able to control what happens in that home, especially if your and you ex do not agree.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm gobsmacked anyone would let a small child have an iphone or tablet. It's far too young, imo, though whether it's any worse than just dumping them in front of the tv for hours on end is probably a moot point.

What really takes the biscuit is stuff like this
    https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Digital-iPotty-Activity-Seat/dp/B00B3G8UGQ
    I mean, how irresponsible and clueless would you have to be to give that to a toddler!! And they wonder why our kids have screen addiction and mental health issues..
    You are gobsmacked at a 6-year-old listening to music or learning about photography? Really? What about apps that help teach times tables?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    and letters, colours, numbers, shapes, nursery rhymes,

My daughter has been able to count and recognise numbers up to 20 since she was 2,

To put it in context she starts nursery soon and they ask can she count to 5
    You are gobsmacked at a 6-year-old listening to music or learning about photography? Really? What about apps that help teach times tables?
    and letters, colours, numbers, shapes, nursery rhymes,

My daughter has been able to count and recognise numbers up to 20 since she was 2,

Sorry, but :rotfl::rotfl:

Is there anything people can do these days without having to resort to a computer to assist them..

We were taught letters, numbers, nursery rhymes by people. You know.. living breathing human beings. That's something kids are lacking now, as harried parents are plonking them down in front of a tablet computer while they get on with other (presumably more important) things.

Computers have enabled the terminally stupid to become even more dysfunctional, in many ways.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    What a complete oxymoron.

You cultured your daughter from the age of 6 into using a phone and now you say that there is nothing you can do about being on her phone 24/7?

I didn't "culture" my daughter into using a phone, she used it to keep in touch with either me or her Father. She had a Nokia 3310 at the time. I also didn't say i had an issue with her being on her phone all the time. You made that assumption, incorrectly.

She's a sensible, intelligent 18 year old who is about to go to University to take a Teaching degree so using a phone hasn't done her any harm.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 August 2018 at 9:29PM
    Is there anything people can do these days without having to resort to a computer to assist them..

We were taught letters, numbers, nursery rhymes by people. You know.. living breathing human beings.

When a computer is used to assist learning, what's the issue?

We used to learn by making letters in a sandtray, then with chalk on a slate, then with a pencil on paper, later on using pens.

Now we use an electronic device as part of the learning process.

I remember the outcry when our school decided to allow the use of biros instead of fountain pens - some adults thought that was clear evidence of the decline in civilisation!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure