DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 8 August 2018 at 6:15PM
    Hi BDFSH

I reduced our payments to each one to around half (generated from the NEDCAB site so all the payments were worked out for us based on our I & E form but we paid them token payments for a few months first. I told them it was due to car repairs and big vet bills that I need to pay. This gave us time to stash some money away and that alone removes an awful lot of stress too. I added in the letters that I would be paying tokens for x amount of months and would resume payments on a certain date and they were still fine. All responded pretty quickly too and I didnt send ours recorded delivery either.

I think you'll find your creditors are used to it by now and will be ok with it.

I understand your worries though I felt exactly the same :)

Edit: I even had a review phone call from PRA group asking if the £1 payments were affordable for us :rotfl:
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • motivated wrote: »
    Hi BDFSH

I reduced our payments to each one to around half (generated from the NEDCAB site so all the payments were worked out for us based on our I & E form but we paid them token payments for a few months first. I told them it was due to car repairs and big vet bills that I need to pay. This gave us time to stash some money away and that alone removes an awful lot of stress too. I added in the letters that I would be paying tokens for x amount of months and would resume payments on a certain date and they were still fine. All responded pretty quickly too and I didnt send ours recorded delivery either.

I think you'll find your creditors are used to it by now and will be ok with it.

I understand your worries though I felt exactly the same :)

Edit: I even had a review phone call from PRA group asking if the £1 payments were affordable for us :rotfl:

Thanks Motivated :)

PRA :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Did you get any settlement offers?? I wish I had given myself a couple of months before resuming payments now but hey ho!! At least I may get one month to save a few pennies. I have told them I will continue payments in September. Once the acceptance letters (hopefully) come in would it be best to write to tell them the standing order will be set up to make payments on 28th of each month just to keep them updated?

Appreciate your advice :)

BDFSH x
  • motivated
    edited 9 August 2018 at 8:45AM
    Thanks Motivated :)

PRA :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Did you get any settlement offers?? I wish I had given myself a couple of months before resuming payments now but hey ho!! At least I may get one month to save a few pennies. I have told them I will continue payments in September. Once the acceptance letters (hopefully) come in would it be best to write to tell them the standing order will be set up to make payments on 28th of each month just to keep them updated?

Appreciate your advice :)

BDFSH x

Settlement offers :rotfl: Even after asking if the £1 was affordable PRA wrote and offered me a £50 discount on each debt with the amazing offer of being able to clear them over 10 months at £700 per month :rotfl: Comedians or what.

It wouldn't hurt to let them know what date your payments will be, just to keep them informed and you could include a line saying the payments will start in October as you are in the process of setting up a new bank account because of your DMP etc It is only another 4 weeks after all :p
    M
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Having remortgaged 4 times over the years to consolidate my debts and reduce the total monthly payments, I have always thought of my mortgage as being mostly house purchase and partly debts.

However, having reached the age of 50 and taking out my 25 year mortgage at the age of 24, it has occurred to me that I should have finished my mortgage repayments last year.

This means that my current mortgage debt of £70,003 is entirely made up of consolidated debt, so after thinking that my debts added up to £34,614, they do in fact add up to £104,617.

That is a lot of money made up of 26 years of spending beyond my means and not thinking of my mortgage as a debt.

I did actually look into remortgaging for a 5th time to include my £34,614 of unsecured debt until I discovered this forum and DMP's.

So thank you to everyone who posts on here for saving me from myself and to anyone reading this who is thinking of consolidating either by remortgaging or adding a secured loan to your mortgage - DON'T DO IT!!!
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • motivated
    Totally agree DMP tiger

Consolidating debts very rarely if ever works. Been there done that. It is in fact just moving it elsewhere.

You are definitely in the right place and Will get there. With the non judgemental support and advice on here I dont even want to think where I'd be right now :eek:
    M
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    motivated wrote: »
    Totally agree DMP tiger

Consolidating debts very rarely if ever works. Been there done that. It is in fact just moving it elsewhere.

M

Not only does it move the debt elsewhere, it leaves the mind thinking that I have no debt, the credit cards empty and the overdraft at zero - primed and ready for more spending :eek:
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • motivated
    DMP_Tiger wrote: »
    Not only does it move the debt elsewhere, it leaves the mind thinking that I have no debt, the credit cards empty and the overdraft at zero - primed and ready for more spending :eek:

Been there done that too :o
  • jubilee14
    jubilee14 Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi All good hope everyone having a good Thursday. Just updated my figures and outstanding debt is now at less than 4K and hopefully on the final straight.

though i would say i've found the last couple of months pretty hard going, dont know if because its so close i dont want to reduce any DMP payments to extend it so trying to deal with unexpected expenses price hikes on stuff since last year within what i've got. But on a positive note means im sharpening my debt saving skills again just as i head into dfd world so hopefully well practiced when the day arrives.

Also saw a great post the other day post dfd saying they were a bit out of sorts so also manage my expectation of elation when it comes too.

have a good day all
    LBM Sept 2012
    started DMP 1.11.12
    Debt [STRIKE]£37012[/STRIKE]/£0 DFD January 2019 :beer:
  • nbdrums1
    nbdrums1 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post!!

I have for one reason or another (illness ect) ended up with £35K on credit cards 3 Lenders (MBNA, Barclaycard, Halifax).

I have run them all up twice before and paid them off is remortgaging but I am at the point where I can!!!8217;t do this anymore.

The interest free offers have all finished and I don!!!8217;t have anywhere to move the money too. The minimum payments are too much for me to handle (over 1K a month). The last few months I have used one card to pay the other, but having found this forums I want to go on a DMP!! And put an end to this as I can!!!8217;t live with the stress!

I have another MBNA minimum payment due next week and I haven!!!8217;t got the money to cover it, I am so stressed!!

Where!!!8217;s the best place to go to help me do this?

I don!!!8217;t want to make any mistakes!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am scared that as I am self employed they are going to come after me big time!!

Thanks!!
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DMP_Tiger wrote: »

Groan... been there and done that :(

I kick myself some days when I think back to the moment we signed on the dotted line for a secured loan to consolidate (which is, effectively, the same as re-mortgaging :mad:) Had we not done that, some 10 years ago - not only would we have been debt free many moons ago, but would probably be close to being mortgage free :(

So - lesson to anyone even considering that option - DONT

I imagine back then DMPs were not really known about, or even existed - and I certainly never even thought about googling anything to do with debt-management. Fast forward - it's great these options now exist and the information is more widely available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure