Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PamG wrote: »
    I sent a letter to Air France definitely over 14days ago and heard nothing...
    Can anyone tell me what the next step is?

If your letter was a NBA, the next step will be court either yourself or through a NWNF - all details in the FAQs on page 1 of this thread
  • MC1977
    MC1977 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I am guessing an airport closing would be exceptional circumstances and I would not be entitled to compensation. Can anyone confirm this?

If they can only offer an alternative destination (London) can I claim overland costs to my desired destination?

Thank you in advance
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 April 2014 at 11:14AM
    Options
    Assuming you have been given over 2 weeks notice nothing is due. If they have given less than 2 weeks notice they will argue EC but you may have a chance of reclaiming expenses
    When are you due to travel?

this is the announcement http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-26749078
    people are asking similar questions on the KLM facebook page (re options) so probably best to look/post there
  • PamG
    PamG Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FAQs on page 1 of this thread are a good place to start.

I've read the FAQs and I think a NWNF company would be my best bet then. This forum is like war and peace... has anyone recommended a good company to go with?
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    I've read the FAQs and I think a NWNF company would be my best bet then. This forum is like war and peace... has anyone recommended a good company to go with?

Do a search of the forum and you will find information/recommendations.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options

I agree with the point about War & Peace: as Tolstoy wrote, "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time". It's a pretty good guide for claiming compensation (as well, of course, as reading the bloody FAQs!!!).
  • davyburns
    davyburns Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    The flight from NCL to CDG was a bit cramped, but on time, the flight from CDG to GRU was on time, but about an hour out, the plan started to jettison fuel, and the cabin staff started to run around like headless chickens. The Flight deck announced we would be making an emergency landing, and we should pay attention to the cabin crew. No reason was given. The cabin crew came round showing everyone the safety cards, and indicating the brace position. As we landed, there was a cry of BRACE BRACE, but the landing wasn't that bad, although we could see numerous fire tenders, water canons and Ambulances outside. We then bussed back to the terminal, where no one was there to give any direction. After wandering around we eventually came to a desk with a large queue where we recognised some people off our flight. We waited 2 whole hours on our feet waiting to be seen.
    We where given a voucher each for 16€ and a form to hand into an airport hotel, we ate at the airport, having had nothing to eat since early morning (have you ever tried to get a meal in CDG or any airport for 16€?)
    Using a shuttle bus, we finally got booked into the hotel, an Ibis, and went to our rooms. We couldn't change clothes, as our luggage had been kept at the airport. Dinner wasn't great, but I've had worse, so we wondered what to do for the night. It was, after all part of our holiday. We aske the staff at the hotel how we could get to Paris. She said taxi was the only real option, as The shuttle bus and train each way would take up what was left of our night, and a taxi would cost between 50€ and 60€, it was 60€, on the way back it was only 45€.
    At the hotel we were told to be at the airport for noon, but we decided to go early in case of problems as my companion still had the boarding card from the previous day, but I had a new one. we asked at an information would these be ok, and were told yes, so we made our way to the gate we got through immigration, but when we went through security we were told that these cards were out of date so we had to go back to the desk. The lady at the desk eventually gave us new boarding cards, the flight being 3 hours later than the one the day before. I asked about our connecting flight to MVD. She looked at her system and said, "You will miss that one. You will have to spend the night in Sao Paulo" another night in a soul destroying airport hotel? I asked about other choices, she checked her system and made a long telephone call then said "Good news, I can get you on a direct flight leaving at 23:20" that sounded good, but meant another 12 hours in CDG. I asked about food vouchers and was given the 16€ voucher each. We spent another boring day. We boarded the flight, and noticed our passes said Buenos Aires, we brought this to the attention of a stewardess who said that was normal.
    The flight wasn't direct, it landed at BAI. We were herded into the main airport, through security, Im sure smelling like old tramps as we had the same clothes on for the 3rd day, and then back onto the plain, were we landed at MVD at noon on Monday.
    It took an extra 36 Hours. Am I due to Compensation, If so on what scale?
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    davyburns wrote: »
    Am I due to Compensation, If so on what scale?

You'll find all you need in the FAQs.

If you need any specific advice on points not covered there, maybe add "please" to get posters on your side.
  • davyburns
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, I just got back, and was a bit peed off with my trip.
    Couldn't find anything that covered emergency landings.
    Thanks
    Davy
  • davyburns
    Options
    Oh, Please Please
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income