Leaving bank account open

I understand that when a bank account (savings/current) is inactive, the bank will set the account as dormant. But if the account holder for whatever reason is not contactable, what happens then?
Before doing something... do nothing

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Once 15 years have passed, banks can make the money available to good causes via the government scheme set up for this purpose: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-dormant-accounts-scheme

The customer has the right to reclaim the money at any point, but if the bank is unable to contact the account holder then the onus is on the latter to do something about it.
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you. The reason I'm asking is that a friend has a savings account with halifax with zero bal. Not used it for over 4 years. Anyway, he went to Halifax to close the account, asked him for ID... fair enough, so he showed them his driving license. Not satisfied with just being shown the id, they wanted to key in the details on their system. He refused and walked out leaving the account open. He has no intention of using it, but wondering what will happen.

I must admit, I don't see any reason for Halifax to record his DL details. I have closed accounts before, and never been asked for ID, let alone recording them on their system. Does this sound like a strange practice?
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    lindabea wrote: »
    The reason I'm asking is that a friend has a savings account with halifax with zero bal. Not used it for over 4 years. Anyway, he went to Halifax to close the account, asked him for ID... fair enough, so he showed them his driving license. Not satisfied with just being shown the id, they wanted to key in the details on their system. He refused and walked out leaving the account open. He has no intention of using it, but wondering what will happen.
    He's presumably still contactable at this stage but it's all a moot point if it's a savings account with a zero balance, as I believe it'll just sit there as a dormant account ad infinitum, without appearing on his credit files (unlike a current account).
    I must admit, I don't see any reason for Halifax to record his DL details. I have closed accounts before, and never been asked for ID, let alone recording them on their system. Does this sound like a strange practice?
    I'm no expert in KYC requirements relating to ID verification but do believe that banks interpret them in different ways, and it's always difficult to make valid comparisons between the experiences of different people, as accounts may have been opened at varying times, before or after changes to ID verification regimes, and so on. There's a board guide and regular poster on this board who works in a Halifax branch as I recall, so they may be able to offer some insight into the processes concerned, but personally I wouldn't be unduly alarmed if presenting ID and having it recorded/copied....
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Halifax appear to have behaved entirely reasonably.

Would you rather that anyone can walk into a Halifax Branch and close your account(s) for you? Even if there's a zero balance at the time, you might have plans to use the account again. And in any case, it's your account, not that of a random individual.

Halifax would want to keep a record of who requested the closure, and how they identified that this person was who they say they were. Just in case the account holder will in the future require to know who closed their account.

Having said all this, having an empty savings account sitting dormantly somewhere is not a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure