Getting hold of a 15 yer old P60

Is it even possible to get hold of a P60 from 2004-2005?

I have an HRMC letter saying I may have overpaid NI. I know that in the year in question I was on an emergency tax code for a while and got a tax refund.

In order for them to process the potential overpayment they require information from my P60 that i no longer have.

The guidance says you can get a copy from your old employer but the internet says they only need to keep a copy for 3 years. Plus, I think one of my old employers that year no longer exists.

Is the "Paid Employment Contribution" I find on the government gateway the same as "Employees contributions" the form asks for? If so, I still don't have the split between the 2 employers.

Anyone know of any options I haven't thought of?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nfc .
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    T199er wrote: »

I have an HRMC letter saying I may have overpaid NI. I know that in the year in question I was on an emergency tax code for a while and got a tax refund.

In order for them to process the potential overpayment they require information from my P60 that i no longer have.

The guidance says you can get a copy from your old employer but the internet says they only need to keep a copy for 3 years. Plus, I think one of my old employers that year no longer exists.

Is the "Paid Employment Contribution" I find on the government gateway the same as "Employees contributions" the form asks for? If so, I still don't have the split between the 2 employers.

Anyone know of any options I haven't thought of?

A P60 is only issued by an employer (or other body which is paying you) if you are on their books on 5 April. So, unless you were employed by an employer who no longer exists, it doesn't matter if you were not employed by them on 5 April 2005 as they would not have issued a P60 in any case.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    What exactly does HMRC want from your P60? If they have a record of your contributions on their system, why would they want you to provide it separately? Why are they going back so far? Is it really HMRC?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite

Only if the employer (assuming they still exist) has chosen to keep records that far back and can be bothered to find them!

They are certainly not obliged to keep anything that old. If they do then I suppose a SAR would require them to provide a copy, although they may be able to argue it involves a disproportionate amount of work so are not obliged to comply under the GDPR.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Is it even possible to get hold of a P60 from 2004-2005? Highly unlikely. Your former employer is only obliged to keep records for 6 years and would probably be in breach of GDPR if they still had a copy on file.

I have an HRMC letter saying I may have overpaid NI. I know that in the year in question I was on an emergency tax code for a while and got a tax refund. Being on emergency tax won't affect the NI you paid.

In order for them to process the potential overpayment they require information from my P60 that i no longer have. So what has just alerted them to the possible overpayment, nearly 15 years after the event?

The guidance says you can get a copy from your old employer but the internet says they only need to keep a copy for 3 years. Plus, I think one of my old employers that year no longer exists. As someone else has already said, your P60 would only come from an employer if they actually employed you as at 5 Apri in the year in question.

Anyone know of any options I haven't thought of? Were you in a contracted out pension scheme during the year in question? Could be that you paid NI at the contracted in rate, which is higher. Your state pension forecast will have more info about this.

Are you quite certain this is from HMRC? If so, then the most likely explanation is that it has something to do with a contracted out pension scheme.
  • NutWorld
    NutWorld Posts: 57 Forumite
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Is it even possible to get hold of a P60 from 2004-2005? Highly unlikely. Your former employer is only obliged to keep records for 6 years and would probably be in breach of GDPR if they still had a copy on file.

As the OP has already indicated, employers are only obliged to keep employees P60 records for 3 years ;)
    The guidance says you can get a copy from your old employer but the internet says they only need to keep a copy for 3 years. ..
  • T199er
    T199er Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What exactly does HMRC want from your P60? If they have a record of your contributions on their system, why would they want you to provide it separately? Why are they going back so far? Is it really HMRC?

I have done all the checks I can on the info on the letter and it seems it is them. I'm planning on calling them tomorrow when they are open again with the number from the website to check but it's the same number and contact info as the letter anyway.
  • T199er
    T199er Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Are you quite certain this is from HMRC? If so, then the most likely explanation is that it has something to do with a contracted out pension scheme.

Thank you. That wouldn't have ever occurred to me but it fits the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure