PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Courgettes

I have rather a lot of them ...
I made a zucchini parmigiana which was yum.

Any other ideas for using them up?

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I have rather a lot of them ...
    I made a zucchini parmigiana which was yum.

Any other ideas for using them up?

Hugh FW Courgette and rice filo pie, as it's usually just for me I half the recipe
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Shred & freeze & use to bulk out soups, or use in cake mixes instead of some of the fat/oil. Or slice thinly, sprinkle lightly with salt & maybe pepper & dry them (dehydrator or very-low oven, until crispy) then keep in an airtight container for a cheap guilt-free snack.
    Angie - GC April 24 £356.14/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Courgette fritters, chocolate muffins, cake, soups, fried in slices, chopped up and fried with some beaten eggs and parmesan...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Lucky you!
    Out of 4 plants I still haven't seen 1 courgette! Still only male flowers.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes courgette and feta fritters are delish!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I add a courgette to most dinner dishes - habit from the days of getting veg into the kids when they were small.

This week's meal plan is crispy chilli beef, chicken and cashew nut, poached white fish w/ratatouille, thai red chicken curry, mince beef stroganoff, salmon en papillote and pizza. Only the last two won't have a courgette thrown in.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have a dehydrator you can make delicious crispy snacks, rather like vegetable crisps. I am making some this afternoon and using a food slicer as it is already out, but a mandolin or good cutting skills would do just as well. Then put in a plastic bag with some sea salt which draws out some of the water and sprinkle on cajun mix, garlic powder, etc. or just chili flakes and a few herbs. The courgette slices need to be about a quarter of an inch if you want to use them with dips and it will depend how much moisture is in the air as to how long they will take to dry. Then put in an airtight jar if you can leave them any longer! I have to say the weather we are having recently is not conducive to dehydrating but next week looks a little better.....
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »
    Hugh FW Courgette and rice filo pie, as it's usually just for me I half the recipe

I can second this, it’s lovely!
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Courgette and rice filo pie now on the meal plan (or will be as soon as I can get some filo - for some reason it seems to have disappeared from my local supermarket). Fritters sound good too.

Fried/baked courgettes are pretty well always on the menu but I have so many I might actually get fed up with them.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I always chop up a few courgettes and freeze them to add to soups and stews over the winter. I seem to appreciate them more when I’m not drowning in them!

Funnily enough, I stocked up on filo pastry this morning before I had seen this thread. It’s often not available in my local supermarket either, so I get a few packs at a time when I see it as it freezes really well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure