bought a car in 2018 without knowing it has an outstanding finance

So as the subject says, I've had a car since February 2018, actually bought it from my dad which I haven't talked with since April 2019, he had some drinking problems, we were fighting pretty often but I didn't expect him to do this to me, I've read some articles about innocent buyers and that I can keep the car if I bought it in good faith but I don't really know how to proceed and who to talk with, what solicitor to find etc. At the border the police or whoever they were (NaVCIS) told me that the car has an outstanding finance and that they have to keep the car as the finance is 3 months behind, they didn't give me too many answers, they treated me like I was the biggest criminal in the world, didn't let me get out of the car for 30 minutes. I haven't spoken with my father since April, I didn't even have his phone number, I managed to talk with my mother and I finally got my dads number, that police guy called him and my dad actually told him that he doesn't care, that yes I bought the car from him and that he didn't pay the finance since April just because he didn't want to, the police didn't care, they just took my keys out, told me to get my luggage and leave without the car, I tried explaining to them, talk to them, reason with them, they just didn't listen. I even got a full fuel tank, I had a ferry reservation and I lost that money too and I even had to get a cab back to London that was £180, even just made the MOT and had to change 2 tyres and rear brake pads, that was another £500 to get me going for the road trip across Europe. The guy from the frontier kept saying that the police was actually searching for my car, I told them that I have the V5 on my name, at my home address, why no one contacted me? He just said that they don't talk with DVLA, like what?!

I don't even know where to write or what exactly to say as I have too many things in my mind right now, hopefully I made myself clear with my situation and I'm hoping someone could help me with some guidance,advice, anything, please!

Comments

• Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you had it since Feb 18 how is it only 3 months behind on the finance? was you dad paying it?

Some innocent people have been able to keep vehicles, but I highly doubt the finance co will believe that you bought it from you dad without knowledge of outstanding finance
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 August 2019 at 8:22AM
    Your dad has royally screwed you over and sounds like a piece of work.

You need to get on to the finance company and explain the situation and tell them that you believe you have good title. It's up to them to prove otherwise.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The police aren't at fault here
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You take your dad to court for the amount you paid him for the car, less the usage you have had from it.

He has screwed you over, so you need to do the same. Does he have any assets?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 August 2019 at 10:33AM
    hollydays wrote: »
    The police aren't at fault here
    Absolutely correct. They wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested about the family situation. They've done exactly what they would have done had anyone been in this situation.

OP, the fault is your father's, with your own part in it being your failure to check the finance status when you bought that car.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    It would be worth contacting the finance company to find out how much is outstanding on the finance.

If you pay it off they should let you keep the car.

Unfortunately I'm not sure there is much else you can do.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    NaVCIS - National Vehicle Crime Investigation Service

https://navcis.police.uk/portfolio-item/investigations/
  • Can't see the finance company agreeing the OP has good title having acquired the car from their father.

This is going to cost you OP. If you want to keep the car then you will need to pay the outstanding finance.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Can't see the finance company agreeing the OP has good title having acquired the car from their father.

This is going to cost you OP. If you want to keep the car then you will need to pay the outstanding finance.
    They don't have to "agree", they have to prove otherwise.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    If the police were looking for the car, then it's got to be about more than just late finance. The police aren't the finance companies' debt collectors.

I can only assume that somebody has reported the car stolen, or there is some other crime-related flag attached to the vehicle.

Bear in mind that even if you have the V5, it doesn't prove you own the car. The V5 says that in big letters on the front.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure