What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 12th August

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important! :money:
Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.

Comments

• 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 August 2019 at 5:50AM
    Options
    Morning all,

I hadn't planned on posting this week as we are going away today but after a really rough night I was still laid awake so decided I may as well kick this weeks thread off!

My gorgeous ds2 fell yesterday afternoon and broke his arm and I've spent much of the night listening to him tossing and turning as he tries to get comfortable to sleep. I'm gutted as he had big ideas of all the activities he was going to be doing on our holiday and now he won't be able to do many of them. It is what it is and I'm just very grateful for the care he received at the minor injury unit last night we were there for about 2hrs in total which is much less then when ds1 had his broken arm last year.

Anyway in the way of small things, today we will
    :heart: Take drinks and snacks with us to the fracture clinic in case of delays there, the hospital were great last night and booked us in this morning for a 9am appointment as ds2 had told them we are going away.
    :heart: Switch everything off at the sockets as we're going away (both fridge/freezers are emptied, switched off and cleaned out already)
    :heart: Check banking and transfer money for holiday - a lovely little surprise gift in our current account from my MIL :) Which will help with keeping ds2 entertained I think!
    :heart: Make sure water is switched off at the stop !!!!
    :heart: Switch off boiler timer

Thats all I can think of for now. Take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh no 1LL hope it does affect your ds holiday too much. Have a lovely time away

My list for today:
    Check banking
    Check just for points credit card- pleasing to see we're nearly at a £10 voucher from them
    Make jam, I got some ys fruit yesterday :T
    WFH
    Something out of freezer for tea
    Clean bathroom
    Renew library books online
    Peg washing out, one load done overnight. Another on in now.
    Pick fruit
    Have a good day everyone. Purps
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    oh my 1LL! Hope ds2 (and you) are ok and it doesn't put too much of a kibosh on your holiday fun x

Thanks for starting the thread :A

Today I go to be fitted the contraption for a week long ecg. Hopefully next week I can get my tooth extracted and this pain will be a thing of the past!

Other than that:

* load of washing & hang out
    * think I'll do a lovely roast for tea using lots of veg from the allotment :D
    * make adjustments to top pattern and cut out. Be good if I cut out the fabric too
    * work out what I am doing with madam on Weds when I have a funeral to go to :(
    * think I'm going to post on a localish sewing group if someone wants to spend a day with me making a block pattern. It's too hard to do on your own!
    * checked c statement. It's in, need to go through it and work out what comes from what pot
    * will take madam for a walk and go to a local park :money: Might do some painting with her as well - she has set herself a goal for the coming year to improve her painting skills :cool:

oh my that's all I can think of! Happy Monday :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all,
    Sorry to hear about your son's arm, 1LL.
    I both need & want to get loads of stuff done today. It my sound counter intuitive, but I haven't even made a list. I've already changed bed linen & have overnight laundry to peg out.
    I'll pop back later with what I've achieved. I'm certainly not going out, so opportunities for spending money will be limited, though I might order the yarn I need to start knitting a Christmas present. Our local crafty shop didn't have sufficient of the same batch of dye numbers & won't order in, as they are one of these places which have good prices, but only have what they have iyswim.
    Right, off to start pegging out. Need to get all laundry done before Weds which is apparently going to be a country-wide p*ssdown.
    Back later,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 August 2019 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Morning all!

1LL - sorry to hear about your son's arm. What is it with boys and breaking things before holidays? OH broke his shoulder the day before we went away a couple of years ago!

DNMS - I hope you get the tooth sorted soon :)

Feeling a bit tired today. I'm quite concerned about work at the moment as my project is severely understaffed. Luckily my manager is back today so it will be his problem. Other thing on my mind is that an awkward ex-colleague is now working for our client and I'm concerned that he's going to make my life hellish.

Today's plan:
    :heartpuls B/D from stores - done
    :heartpuls Charge phone in work - done
    :heartpuls Water greenhouse with dehumdifier water - done
    :heartpuls Try to remain calm - done
    :heartpuls Put beans cooked overnight in s/c into bags and freeze - done
    :heartpuls Post some seeds :) - done
    :heartpuls Asked OH to drop something off here for a colleague and to take something back to his mum's - done. Not really mse but keeps the house clear

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1lLuckyLady Thank you for starting this week's thread :A
    Sorry to hear about ds' arm.

Todays list:
    Wash hair and let it dry naturally
    Go shopping and stick to the list
    Put ALL the shopping away
    Record spending in the diary
    Make porridge
    Make bread
    Update freezer inventory
    PAD
    Pmp etc
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Good morning
    Thanks for the start this week 1LL - I hope that your ds is out of the fracture clinic nice and early, and that you all manage to have a fantastic holiday.
    Good luck today DNMS - hope all goes well with a week long ECG.
    Right, new week, new start. It won't be a nsd because I'm out with my sister for a late lunch today, finalising arrangements for my divorce party at the end of the month. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the closer it gets the more anxious I am about it.
    Other than that I have a massively annoying frog list so I need to try and tick a couple of things off that.
    Continue with my daily decluttering for August which is making a massive difference about the house.
    Collect ds bestie for him to come to play at the house for a while before the late lunch date.
    Do a load of washing
    Hoover through
    Wash dishes
    Attempt to finish my crochet project that is now really getting quite annoying.
    Try and remain calm... :rotfl:
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:
    • Benefits check-up (Link)
    • Birthday Freebies (Link)
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes. (Link)
    • eBid (Link)
    • Freecycle (Link)
    • Freegle (Link)
    • FreeStuff (Link)
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • Jobseekers Railcard (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • Martin Lewis' Weekly List of Deals and Tips (Link)
    • MSE Bank Charges Comparison Tool (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. (Link)
    • MSE Budget Planner (Link)
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained (Link)
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers (Link)
    • MSE Demotivator Tool (Link)
    • MSE Credit Card Minimum Repayment Calculator (Link)
    • MSE Money Makover (Link)
    • MSE Piggybank Budgeting (Link)
    • MSE Stoozing Guide (Link)
    • MSE Wow Offers (Link)
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket (Link)
    • NHS Free Prescription Checker (Link)
    • OnePoll (Link)
    • Parcel2Go: compare postage prices (Link)
    • Parkopedia: compare parking charges (Link)
    • Pick My Postcode Lottery ( Link )
    • Quidco (Link)
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself without using a claims company. (Link)
    • Reclaim Packaged Bank Account fees at no cost to yourself without using a claims company.(Link)
    • Reclaim phone credit (Link)
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder (Link)
    • Split Ticketing (Link)
    • Start Rescue Breakdown Cover (Link)
    • Super Saver Amazon Delivery Tool (Link)
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions (Link)
    • Swagbucks (Link)
    • Swapit (Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link) Site closed
    • Toluna (Link)
    • TopCashBack (Link)
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)

If any of the links are broken, let me know.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi guys :wave:

Thanks for starting us off 1LL. Oh no, bad timing for your son to break his arm. :( Hope you all have a good holiday!!
    CCL - a divorce party sounds fabulous!!! Good for you. :D

It's v dull today so any washing will be on the airer - definitely not brave enough to go outside.

Off to yoga today. The big decision - do I park in the car park that costs £1 or the supermarket car park where you need to spend £5 (I don't need to spend) in the store...? :think:

Then just need to tidy round. Made a roast last night and it looks like I used every pot and pan going :rotfl:

I've been following the organised mum method and my house is looking a lot more clean and tidy. Today is living room...

Forgot to speak to OH about the mortgage - dunno whether to go a 1yr fixed, 2yr fixed or a tracker... Some of the fixed deals have no upfront fee so just an exit fee if we were to move but chances are we won't move in the next year now so maybe that is a good option... :think:

Righto, offskis. Have a good week everyone!
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 August 2019 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Hi August Austerity-Fans,

We are continuing with our Detach Declutter De-stress mission today.

Thanks for the starter 1LL.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Five:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Check on two camera lenses advertised on eBay for DW. Done. One sold! Will need to package up for posting.

* Continue my Challenge 500 miles challenge to travel 500 miles for free before the end of 2019: walking, hiking, climbing, cycling, running and swimming. I'm up to 304/500. Undecided what to do today.
    * Go to storage unit for the last time. :j Colleague hs offered to move mattress from there to our place. Need to buy a thanks bottle of vodka. Done. We are due back £88 from the Storage company. Direct Debit cancelled. <Slams door and walks away.>

Still writing.

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure