Trying to haggle / cancel Sky broadband

My Sky broadband contract is up on the 12th September, so aware of the need to give them 31 days notice, I have been trying to speak to someone about it yesterday and today. Either to haggle a new deal - although it looks like they will be unable to get close to Plusnet plus Plusnet's no price increase guarantee - or to cancel.

Problem is - and this is not a r*acist thing - I keep getting put through on the phone to people in India. I have enormous difficulty understanding them. I really do.

Also, when I joined Sky several years ago when my first 12 month deal was up, and I spoke to someone in India about a new deal, I ended up with a very stressful time as the staff in India arranged a deal for me, told me that everything was sorted and then, when my deal ended, I found myself being billed a silly amount because the deal that was supposed to have been agreed never happened.

It was then a very stressful time to get things sorted and I ended up feeling quite unwell at one point.

In subsequent years I have spoken to Sky UK staff who have been very good. But as I can only get through to India now I now simply want to cancel my Sky broadband altogether and probably will just transfer over to Plusnet.

Is there an email address that I can email Sky in order to cancel my broadband and, importantly, to ensure that I have a record of having done this 31 days prior to my contact ending?

Thanks for any help.
This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    tawse57 wrote: »
    Either to haggle a new deal - although it looks like they will be unable to get close to Plusnet plus Plusnet's no price increase guarantee - or to cancel.
    I now simply want to cancel my Sky broadband altogether and probably will just transfer over to Plusnet.
    Is there an email address that I can email Sky in order to cancel my broadband
    What is it that you want to do?
    1. Haggle a better deal with Sky?
    2. Cancel your broadband and not migrate?
    3. Migrate to Plusnet?
    If it's the latter then there's no need to contact Sky - you contact Plusnet and Plusnet will liaise with Sky to cancel your Sky broadband service:
    Switching broadband provider

Otherwise, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and pick up the telephone.
  • tawse57
    tawse57 Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chino wrote: »
    What is it that you want to do?
    1. Haggle a better deal with Sky?
    2. Cancel your broadband and not migrate?
    3. Migrate to Plusnet?
    If it's the latter then there's no need to contact Sky - you contact Plusnet and Plusnet will liaise with Sky to cancel your Sky broadband service:
    Switching broadband provider

Otherwise, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and pick up the telephone.

1 or 3.

Basically wanted to see if Sky would give me a deal close to the Plusnet one - but Plusnet works out £110 cheaper, when you add in this reward cash card thing for new customers, and has a no price

increase guarantee.

If Sky cannot give me a better deal - my broadband goes up to £41.00 a month (I assume if you do not contact they automatically renew you on a new 12 or 18 month deal at a much higher price which you are then locked into.) - then the plan is to leave and migrate to a new broadband provider.

So thanks - if I just want to go to Plusnet I do not have to contact Sky... but I have to, presumably, sign up to Plusnet 31 days prior to my Sky contract ending on the 12th September?
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • It takes about 2 weeks to swap ISP so place your order around 29 August. That's deemed the required notice if you're swapping ISPs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    1 or 3.

Basically wanted to see if Sky would give me a deal close to the Plusnet one - but Plusnet works out £110 cheaper, when you add in this reward cash card thing for new customers, and has a no price

increase guarantee.

If Sky cannot give me a better deal - my broadband goes up to £41.00 a month (I assume if you do not contact they automatically renew you on a new 12 or 18 month deal at a much higher price which you are then locked into.) - then the plan is to leave and migrate to a new broadband provider.

So thanks - if I just want to go to Plusnet I do not have to contact Sky... but I have to, presumably, sign up to Plusnet 31 days prior to my Sky contract ending on the 12th September?

Not at all, you'll be on a rolling monthly contract with 31 days notice to terminate. Once you've initiated a switch then they'll probably contact you with a better offer but if you agree you'll have to deal with PN to cancel their offer.
  • tawse57
    tawse57 Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not at all, you'll be on a rolling monthly contract with 31 days notice to terminate. Once you've initiated a switch then they'll probably contact you with a better offer but if you agree you'll have to deal with PN to cancel their offer.

I never knew that.

I always assumed that if you did not cancel a Sky contract 31 days prior to your contract ending that they then locked you into a 12 or 18 month contract at whatever ludicrous price they had bumped it up to.

I was sure that I have seen people on here complaining that they are now so locked into new contracts.
  • tawse57 wrote: »
    I never knew that.

I always assumed that if you did not cancel a Sky contract 31 days prior to your contract ending that they then locked you into a 12 or 18 month contract at whatever ludicrous price they had bumped it up to.

I was sure that I have seen people on here complaining that they are now so locked into new contracts.

Nope, if anyone has claimed that then they're either trolling/lying or very confused.

A business BB contract may work like that but I'm not aware of any consumer level contract that does (I'm not even sure it would be legal).
  • McCreary
    McCreary Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I tried to negotiate a deal with Sky and they were very resistive, I was on Sky Fibre Max (up to 80mbps download). It was going to be going up to £40+ per month and they said the best they could do was £27.50 per month including line rental. I said TalkTalk was offering it for £24.50 per month with a £70 voucher and no price increases through uSwitch. They said £27.50 was the best they could do.

So I ordered TalkTalk for £24.50 and got an email from Sky the next day offering me it for £25 per month. Called them and asked what the cheapest they could do was... again £27.50. So I mentioned the email and they “found” the offer. They said I’d need to cancel the TalkTalk order so I said I’d give them a call. TalkTalk then gave me lots of bill credit which meant I’m paying £20 per month for the up to 80mbps line over the course of 18 months. Sky called again offering it for £25 per month with £50 bill credit. I ended up staying with TalkTalk and it’s working (surprisingly) well.
    'The journey home, is never too far...'

'Wasting money is an insult to people who don't have any'

Reducing my spending, one month at a time...
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If I could get 80 Mbps for £27.50 a month from Sky I would jump at it. As it is, we can't get fibre yet so we are stuck on the 10 Mbps broadband, which they were going to charge me £31 a month for. After initiating a switch to BT, though, they offered me it for £20 a month, which is much better. So £27.50 for fast broadband seems good value to me, especially as I would never touch TalkTalk with a bargepole.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Last time I wanted to get my price reduced with Sky I did the online chat option. Person I was dealing with was able to type with perfect English and the bonus is that you can take screenshots of your discussion for use as evidence should they not hold up their end of the deal.

I did find I had to wait a little while for a member of the Sky cancellations team to be available, but unlike holding on the phone its much easier to carry on with other jobs as you are waiting.

I presume you can use chat facility to cancel as well.
  • McCreary
    McCreary Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If I could get 80 Mbps for £27.50 a month from Sky I would jump at it. As it is, we can't get fibre yet so we are stuck on the 10 Mbps broadband, which they were going to charge me £31 a month for. After initiating a switch to BT, though, they offered me it for £20 a month, which is much better. So £27.50 for fast broadband seems good value to me, especially as I would never touch TalkTalk with a bargepole.

Fibre connections for any VDSL provider are all managed by BT Openreach so it doesn't really matter who your provider is unless you want specific features that that provider offers. So ultimately even through I have a TalkTalk Fibre line the management of the line is via Openzone. I would be very hesitant to move to normal ADSL with TalkTalk however as they manage their own lines and have read some horror stories. However, I can't really complain at the moment as my line is now over 60mbps and increasing and it's costing me £20 per month. One of the reasons I wanted to leave Sky is that they make it very difficult to use your own router with service and I wanted to use Netgear Orbi.
    'The journey home, is never too far...'

'Wasting money is an insult to people who don't have any'

Reducing my spending, one month at a time...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure