We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Sharpening garden shears, Loppers, pruners etc

Options
What is the best way to sharpen garden Shears, Loppers, Pruners etc. What do i Need to buy.My Loppers are especially blunt.

Comments

• Kentish_Dave
    Options
    I’d probably use a grinding stone on a dremel or the like.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I use a file for loppers.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's a lady at our local market who sharpens tools (including mower blades), so it might be worth seeing whether there is someone local.

I share an electric sharpener with my brother, which works really well for me as it's at his, so he takes stuff home, sharpens it and brings it back :) For maintenance (in particular the hand sickle and scythe) I use a sharpening stone, but after a certain point that doesn't work and you need to regrind the blade. Which reminds me, I need to swap my mower blade round... I've been meaning to do it for weeks...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 August 2019 at 8:37AM
    Options
    It depends what state the tool's edge has reached.

As greenbee says, something very blunt is best filed or ground to a new edge, but for on the spot sharpening, a carborundum-type stone stroked over it a few times in one direction (away from the edge) is adequate.

I sharpen fussy chain saw chains by hand, using files. Electric tools are fine, but they don't allow one to get the same feel for the edge being created.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure