Money Claim Online Court Letters

Looking for some advice please, I am looking to take my ex to court over a lot of money she owes me, and is refusing to pay.

The only thing holding me back is I’m currently living with parents and want this to remain confidential.

Has anyone had any experience of making a money claim online?....if so, have you received court letters through the post, and if so, do they have any reference to it being from court in form of a logo or text?

Many thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Eventually you will get a letter from the court; why would living with your parents be an issue though?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like he's trying to hide this situation from his parents.

OP, the only way to find out is to phone the court and ask them whether their envelopes broadcast who they're from, or not. but really, life would be simpler if you came clean.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hi Paul1211, documentation that comes from the small claims court (or, indeed any civil court) is "branded" HMCTS and with their logo on it. If your ex files a defence to your claim, the court will send you a paper copy of it on this headed paper. I can't actually remember if the envelopes are similarly "branded", but I have a vague recollection they are not, but agree with Savvy_Sue that if it's crucial your parents don't become aware of your action, you phone HMCTS and ask them (tel: 0300 123 7050).
  • Cisser
    Cisser Posts: 11 Forumite
    Why would living with your parents be an issue though?
  • Paul1211
    Paul1211 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Hi all.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to starting the claims process yet due to other commitments. I am looking to start this off now, however I am aware I must attempt to solve this with her before I send her a letter before claim.

I was planning on doing this a while back so I sent her a text message and email trying to solve the issue, however I have had no reply from either at all. I stated that if I don't hear back within two weeks (as of January) I shall go straight to court, however this was some time ago now! I haven't had any contact since then, so should I send her another message with the same text or go straight to sending her the letter before claim?

It will have been a year in September, is there a time limit by which I must file a claim?

Many thanks for any help, Paul.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Paul1211 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to starting the claims process yet due to other commitments. I am looking to start this off now, however I am aware I must attempt to solve this with her before I send her a letter before claim.

I was planning on doing this a while back so I sent her a text message and email trying to solve the issue, however I have had no reply from either at all. I stated that if I don't hear back within two weeks (as of January) I shall go straight to court, however this was some time ago now! I haven't had any contact since then, so should I send her another message with the same text or go straight to sending her the letter before claim?

It will have been a year in September, is there a time limit by which I must file a claim?

Many thanks for any help, Paul.

The time limit is six years in England and Wales, a little less in Scotland.
  • Paul1211
    Paul1211 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Great, many thanks for your help
  • If you know her address, perhaps send a letter to her there via Royal Mail "signed for". At least if she signs for it, you know she's received it.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Dilbert999 wrote: »
    If you know her address, perhaps send a letter to her there via Royal Mail "signed for". At least if she signs for it, you know she's received it.
    It's generally advised to send by first class post and get proof of delivery (it's suggested two copies are sent) as that's considered 'delivered'. Anything to be signed for can be refused.

Old thread here explains:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5242068
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills