Specsavers hearing tests (and hearing aids)

Options

Comments

• anamenottaken
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Relative has an appointment coming up with Specsavers for a hearing test.

It's a 90 minute appointment, but I can't believe Specsavers are going to spend anywhere remotely near an hour and a half on a hearing test.

I'm guessing it will be about half an hour (if that) for the hearing test, and the rest of the time trying to convince her that an overpriced hearing aid is a better option than a free NHS one.

Anyone any experience of this? Does it really take this long for the actual test?

Someone else mentioned Boots. I have an appointment booked with Boots for a hearing test. It is scheduled to be 15 minutes.

If anyone has experience of both, could they comment on the differences between these, please.

I don't currently have a hearing aid - and probably won't need this. Perhaps that is the difference.
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2018 at 5:15PM
    Options
    As far as I remember, at Specsavers there's a 20 minute or so hearing test and a very unhurried explanation afterwards, and no sales pressure. (My local Specsavers do NHS hearing aids as well as private.) If you decide you want to go for an NHS hearing aid, you have to then go to your GP to get a letter saying you need hearing aids, then make another Specsavers appointment where they'll use the same test results to make you a pair of hearing aids. At Boots, there's an introductory test of about 10 minutes, after which they say either you need hearing aids and a further, longer test, or to come back in a couple of years. Boots range is all private, but they do offer Invisible In The Canal hearing aids which are, as far as I know, the most discreet. I'm pretty sure Specsavers don't offer these yet.
    Why not try Boots and Specsavers tests? They're free, and you'll be more sure of the state of your hearing.
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a hearing test at Specsavers on Friday. I was referred by my GP.

From when i walked in to Specsavers to when i walked out was an hour.

I found the test very indepth and was very pleased. The finding were explained to me in detail and it picked up some areas of hearing loss.
    They have given me a 2 week window to decide if i want to try hearing aids. After the 2 weeks i will have to go back to my GP for another referral.
  • evergreen
    Options
    I recently went to my first NHS appointment. Was really surprised when I came out of the appointment wearing hearing aids. No waiting, just tested my ears, then did something magic on the laptop which set my new hearing aids up and out I walked being able to hear the birds singing. The hearing aids are small and light and my hair covers them. I was going to see how I got on and then possibly go to spec savers, but think I will probably stay with my NHS ones.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    evergreen wrote: »
    I recently went to my first NHS appointment. Was really surprised when I came out of the appointment wearing hearing aids. No waiting, just tested my ears, then did something magic on the laptop which set my new hearing aids up and out I walked being able to hear the birds singing. The hearing aids are small and light and my hair covers them. I was going to see how I got on and then possibly go to spec savers, but think I will probably stay with my NHS ones.

Thanks - that's a very useful insight into modern NHS digital hearing aids (which are actually supplied in some areas by Specsavers).

Unfortunately, there's still a perception that NHS hearing aids are bulky and ineffective. They're not, of course, and they're very much on a par with a lot of expensive private ones, but companies pushing them prefer you not to know that!
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,576 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had nhs Hearing aids from spec savers and they are so much better than my old ones supplied by hospital. They are made by seimans. The beauty of spec savers is I can get appointments to suit me and don't have to have time off work. Every few months I drop them in for new tubes whilst I go around the shops. I had an echoey crackle on 1 occasion and they just gave me a new aid to replace the faulty one - any equipment can develop a fault but it was sorted straight away.

I'd let my hair grow to hide my old aids but have gone back to the short hair style i prefer as although not the smallest around are pretty good in comparison to what I used to have.

I'd recommend them to anyone....
    January spends - £587.58
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is interesting. I must go back with mine! It is just so uncomfortable.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    This is interesting. I must go back with mine! It is just so uncomfortable.
    Oh definitely go back until it's right. My latest one is better, still not 100% but it really should not be actively uncomfortable.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Sk8er48
    Options
    I got a referral letter from my GP to enable me to get an NHS hearing aid from my local Specsavers.
    I could have gone to others if I had wanted. Private aids were offered but there was no pushy service at all and the girl was lovely. I can!!!8217;t say I get on perfectly with my hearing aid but without it I have trouble telling what people are saying! I think they seem to be a bit tricky to set to the correct level.
  • Kay12346
    Kay12346 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She can carry out the test online at specsavers not the proper thing but gives a good indication. Also don't forget to get recommend by your GP so you can get a free hearing aid. Way to expensive to buy. Had my hearing aid yesterday from there liverpool centre in knowsley. I was sent by my GPS. Free test also free hearing aid the audiologist was fantastic. Kirkby shopping Centre, 21 St Chad's Parade, Liverpool L32 8RD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure