Foghorn noise

Good Morning everyone,
wonder if anyone has any suggestions with my noisy plumbing ,it started yesterday,i turned on my shower and it sounded like a foghorn on the queen mary, also flushing the toilet creates the same noise, we have a shower up and downstairs, there is one toilet upstairs and two downstairs,we have a combi boiler so no cold water tank in the loft. never had this noise before so a bit mystified , i noticed that when the noise begins if i turn a tap on the noise stops any thoughts would be gladly welcome ,thanks.

Comments

• 1. Likely cause is washer (diaphragm) in WC. Replace - cheap and may fix problem.
    2. After that, need to check pressure of water coming in to property. If too high, fit pressure reducing valve.
    3. However, could be any number of things and impossible to diagnose without visiting and hearing.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    We had something like that in our holiday rental cottage in N Wales.
    We turned the stop down a little and the noise reduced, but so did the pressure in the shower ... so we suffered the noise for a better shower!
    :D
  • Hi everyone,
    Just thought i would update anyone who might have a similar problem, the general opinion i got was that the unbelievable noise the plumbing was making whenever the toilet was flushed,the tap was turned on or the shower was used was most likely due to a seal on a toilet cistern or a washer on a tap.
    I went around the house and all i could find was that the kitchen tap was dripping quite badly, rather than bother with changing the tap cartridge i decided to fit a new tap, we had the extremely loud foghorn noise for over a week but the minute i fitted the new tap the noise vanished .
    Im no plumber by any stretch of the imagination and i cant believe that the noise was caused by a dodgy kitchen tap, but the noise has gone so hopefully job done,thanks to anyone who wrote back to me regarding the " foghorn noise from hell " :D
  • As in the above thread,I noticed every time I got the foghorn noise the tap in the kitchen dripped.
    I suspected that this tap was the culprit although it was only about 3 years old and quite expensive.Having seen the post above I decided to bite the bullet and get a new tap fitted.
    Thanks to your post the water system is back to normal and we are stress free again (yes it really does get you down)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Alternatively, eat less sprouts. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business