Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Here's the reply I received via Facebook on 1st May when I enquired as to why two October future powerpacks had appeared and why the discounts varied

Hi Taf, thanks for your message and for keeping such a close eye on the available Powerpacks as always! We're encouraging our customers to pay for their electricity ahead of the game by offering discounts an extra month in advance.

Thanks for pointing out the typo in the small print of these two new packs, I've passed this over to our pricing guys and they've updated this accordingly (which should also now be reflected in your Powershop account).

The acronyms preceding these newest future Powerpacks refer to either 'Easy Saver Promise' or 'First Year Promise' depending on the promotion attached to each customer's account to ensure the correct level of discount is delivered!

Hope this information is helpful!

Thanks,
    Will
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2018 at 5:20PM
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Neil sedaka. What was the worth of your two December powerpacks.

£15.36 and £15.36.

plR2QR6Cj
  • With the highest discount being used first, I still have much of the 'stacked' packs available from my early days (Nov & Dec 2017).

There were some that I bought (e.g. Ascot Special and Jumbo in May) that have such pathetic discount levels there wasn't really any point in buying them.

Given that I'm 49 weeks ahead, I think anything below 15% I'll pass as anything below that is going to end up being (eventually) refunded anyway!

Shame they don't refund at the 'worth' prices - maybe with a caveat that they must be loaded on the account for 6 months prior to the higher refund.

That'd give them serious incentive to keep customers like me that are just draining their balances! Whether they want to keep me or not is another matter!!
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tafrock wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know if the improved rates would be available if someone did that wouldn't it. It appears that signing a new contact puts you on a new first year promise previously known as easy saver promise. And then you're offered better rates as part of your first year promise but the only way to sign a new contract is to leave and come back. You can't just switch tariff as you can with other suppliers
    Im no expert but that's how it appears to work

I checked what tariff I would be on if I left and rejoined and it would be higher than my current Pioneer (shopper) tariff so it's a question of weighing up higher baseline tariff v greater discount value of Powerpacks that would become available.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A second December Future Pack has appeared in my account!! I only had one before - the single sock one at 27.6% - £16.45 worth £22.72. Now December Future Pack 2 has appeared - same value and discount with two socks on the line! Has this happened to others who only originally had just one December Future Pack offered to them?
  • Tafrock
    I've just done a comparison today and powershop at my current rates is the cheapest electricity provider again.

My rates for standard are 13.5p per kWh plus 16.6p per day standing charge

If I use only powerpacks with 20% or greater value that equates to a maximum price of 10.8p per kWh. For simplicity I only apply discount to unit rate. It's easier that way

If I need to drop my ceiling to 15% that equates to a maximum unit rate of 11.475p

My next cheapest provider is outfox and quotes a rate of 9.706 (variable) with an eye-watering 29.56p per day standing charge. Yearly cost for that one is £390 a year

My current plan will cost £374.68. That uses a rate of 10.805p as my unit price.

Interestingly my next cheapest alternative after outfox is again powershop (top shopper June 2018 issue 1). That's coming in £5 dearer than outfox at £395 and uses a unit rate of 11.508p with identical standing charge as current.

Therefore it appears that if I cap my powerpack price at 15% instead of 20% I will achieve at worst this June 2018 issue rate

Think I'll stay out for now despite being disgruntled with two tier rates for new and existing clients
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My gas has switched over now and I had some new powerpacks available to buy this morning.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-05_at_11.52.54.png

Screen_Shot_2018-07-05_at_11.53.08.png
  • Tafrock
    You're being looked after ktf I'm jealous. A lot more than I have available
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    There must be some logic behind it that decides what powerpacks people get offered.

Maybe after I have given them a few months readings it will change...
  • Tafrock
    I haven't seen pack 1 2 3 or 5 and only have 2 November and December. Very impressive discount on 1 and 2
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback