Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whatwasithinking
    • By whatwasithinking 12th Aug 19, 9:36 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 7Thanks
    whatwasithinking
    Do I do separate claims for each loan if same bank?
    • 12th Aug 19, 9:36 PM
    Do I do separate claims for each loan if same bank? 12th Aug 19 at 9:36 PM
    Good evening all,
    Iíd really appreciate some help with some questions.
    Iím in a DMP since 2005 got some pretty old debts and have paid back about 60% so want to claim PPI to try and clear it and finally be done with debt.
    I have managed to find some paper work and looks like I had loans and dual credit card with NatWest. One loan is from 1997! So do I have to submit a separate claim for each loan with Nat west? Just started to fill in details on resolver and it asks for loan ref. Will I need to fill the form for each loan separately?
    Also canít remember where I was working then can I leave that bank?
    I am claiming on the grounds they said I canít get the loan/credit without PPI
    Also I read somewhere I should ask for CCA from the CC companies as these are so old they might not be inforceable and I can get a low settlement figure?
Page 1
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 12th Aug 19, 11:12 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Bermonia
    • 12th Aug 19, 11:12 PM
    • 12th Aug 19, 11:12 PM
    Firstly stop using Resolver as is very poor system for complaints -go online and the bank will have an online portal you can submit complaints to, you provide what information you can remember.

Don’t bother asking for CCAs as these do not help you complaint in the slightest but will delay your complaint massively.

Finally think of a better complaint reason, yours is the most generic and there will be no evidence to support your assertions... if you had a chain of loans then it is likely you would receive at least a partial refund.
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 13th Aug 19, 6:07 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,465 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    • 13th Aug 19, 6:07 AM
    • 13th Aug 19, 6:07 AM
    What do you mean by claim; what are you claiming here?

If you have fallen behind on your contracted payments it sounds as though you owe them, not the other way round?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Aug 19, 11:00 AM
    • 24,611 Posts
    • 14,131 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Aug 19, 11:00 AM
    • 13th Aug 19, 11:00 AM
    If you have fallen behind on your contracted payments it sounds as though you owe them, not the other way round?
    Originally posted by Kentish Dave
    To be fair, the OP seems quite aware that a successful PPI complaint will only reduce his outstanding debt and not result in a cash windfall for him personally;
    I’m in a DMP since 2005 got some pretty old debts and have paid back about 60% so want to claim PPI to try and clear it and finally be done with debt.
    Originally posted by whatwasithinking
    Fair enough, but you'll need a far more compelling complaint than alleging that you were told you had to have the insurance...

I read somewhere I should ask for CCA from the CC companies as these are so old they might not be enforceable and I can get a low settlement figure?
    If you request the Credit Agreement and the Bank cannot provide this document then this will not end your debt, it will just make it impossible for the Bank to chase you through the courts for it. However, if the Bank suspect that this is your reason for requesting it, you could compromise your DMP and cause yourself a mess of trouble.
    • whatwasithinking
    • By whatwasithinking 13th Aug 19, 6:00 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    whatwasithinking
    • 13th Aug 19, 6:00 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 6:00 PM
    Thanks for all the comments I’ve got the ball rolling now so will update on the ppi responses. So happy I found some paperwork.Regarding the bank concerned they told me on at least 2 separate occasions that I wouldn’t get approved without the ppi. I don’t think I could have claimed on the ppi as my work was agency based contracts and some self employed work.
    I’ll leave the CCA for now sounds messy and my DMP is running ok just want to debt free a bit sooner..
    Last edited by whatwasithinking; 13-08-2019 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Added a foot note
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Aug 19, 11:36 AM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 14,578 Thanks
    -taff
    • 14th Aug 19, 11:36 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 11:36 AM
    It's not messy. If they cannot provide a cca the debt is unenforceable which means they cannot take you to court for it and you do not have to pay it.
    Go to the debt free wannabe board and ask for further advice.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Aug 19, 9:26 PM
    • 24,611 Posts
    • 14,131 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:26 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:26 PM
    you do not have to pay it.
    Originally posted by -taff
    That's not true.

The OP has already entered a DMP and so has acknowledged the debt.

They'll likely supply a CCA if requested anyway, but then it will be too late for a PPI complaint..
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Aug 19, 8:00 AM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 14,578 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th Aug 19, 8:00 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 8:00 AM
    It is true. It can't be statute barred but it can be unenforceable. Two different things.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Aug 19, 8:37 AM
    • 24,611 Posts
    • 14,131 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Aug 19, 8:37 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 8:37 AM
    It is true. It can't be statute barred but it can be unenforceable. Two different things.
    Originally posted by -taff
    You said he doesn't have to pay, I disagree.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Aug 19, 11:33 AM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 14,578 Thanks
    -taff
    You're allowed to disagree but it is a fact. Morally, maybe, factually, not.
    • whatwasithinking
    • By whatwasithinking 17th Aug 19, 9:17 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    whatwasithinking
    Update store card charges claim
    So I put in a complaint about charges on a old store card from 2003/2004. At £18 a pop. £90 debt £126 charges!
    Bank had all the details and are saying itís out of time as over 6 years ago and over 3 years since I should have known about the charges and complained ?
    Is it game over?
    Is it worth trying the FOS or will they say same thing?
    I only ever made one purchase and they misspelled my surname and so these bills initially got missed in a shared flat building.
    This issue was not corrected for 4 months I am unhappy as there are 7 charges of £18 totally £126!This seems excessive for a £90 debt.
    Another complication is the bank sold the debt to CL financial who took over the debt and added charges too. Even though I made token payments. Itís now in my DMP
    So do I do a separate claim to them for there charges. Or is it all too old and FOS canít help?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Aug 19, 9:20 AM
    • 24,611 Posts
    • 14,131 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Is it game over?
    I'm afraid so.
    Is it worth trying the FOS or will they say same thing?
    The Ombudsman cannot overturn a properly applied time bar. This seems to be the case from what you say...
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Aug 19, 9:44 AM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 14,578 Thanks
    -taff
    The banks an a court case in 2009 so you cannot complain about historic charges, only if you are in current financial hardship and still bank with them.
    I would send CL a CCA request. Again,go to the debt free wannabe board.
    • whatwasithinking
    • By whatwasithinking 17th Aug 19, 11:11 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    whatwasithinking
    Thanks for you helpful suggestions Iíll post on the other board. The bank enclosed a copy of the credit agreement with their response so I presume the debt collection company will be able to use this too. I am in a long term DMP and when they applied the charges I was in debt crisis.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Aug 19, 8:34 PM
    • 24,611 Posts
    • 14,131 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    They'll likely supply a CCA if requested anyway,
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    The bank enclosed a copy of the credit agreement with their response
    That means they have it, of course.
    Iíll post on the other board.
    The earlier debate about whether or not you'll have to pay is redundant if they have the Agreement.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 18th Aug 19, 10:02 AM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 14,578 Thanks
    -taff
    Check the agreement contains all it's suposed to, again debt free board. They can also help potentially with other debts of your dmp is 14 years old...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,021Posts Today

6,535Users online

Martin's Twitter