urgent help re debt collection

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The general advice is to report it to Action Fraud, but according to a news story i saw yesterday, you may as well not bother as they only take action is a very small number of cases.

There are somethings you can do to protect yourself, change all cards, pins, and passwords, register with CIFAS, that way credit applications are looked at more closely to prevent fraud happeneing :

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration

Write to your bank and inform them of your suspicions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • little_green
    Options
    Registering with cifas, they will only more closely check credit applications made in the UK?
    So essentially no one is willing to investigate and this person is free to continue accuring debt of various forms in my name which I'm being held responsible for by a variety of DCA's?
    Do I legally have to pay that money? I mean currently I'm holding off doing so having written to both explaining situation and seeking proof of liability for the debt however the first DCA if ored my first email did not respond yet continued to issues a second letter so I expect them to continue with a third letter then get the courts involved.
    If a bailif appears at my door to seize items legally where do I stand? If I were to say to them the debt is not my liability and my identity has been stolen theyll just say they are acting on behalf of DCA/company who claims the debt is mine.

I can't keep having letter from DCA arriving.
    I don't even know how this person is able to take out stuff simply using my name and address. Chances are it's the same person who stole the bank/card details earlier in the year but that card was cancelled.
    Surely you need more then a name and address to sign up to a product with a company? Otherwise people could be commuting fraud in pretty much anyone's name and address they know.

Also, wouldn't a company usually contact you to advise of debt/outstanding payments before escalating to DCA?
    On both occasions (for the alleged PayPal debt and now for the alleged mobile phone/SIM debt) I did not receive correspondence from either company to advise the account had moment due. It could be that they did send reminders but to the email account associated with those (created by some other person that I don't have access too) but seems strange they wouldn't write to me at this address.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Right if the matter is as serious as you are suggesting then you should report the entire matter to the police.

The fact debts are been sought from abroad, suggests maybe an organised foreign gang are at work here, it sounds to me as though it needs investigating by someone with more clout than an internet forum.

The good news, if there is any here, is that debts from abroad are rarly pursued for long, and are not usualy enforced through the british legal system, in order to do that, the debt must be bought by a UK debt collector, again, this is very rare, most UK DCA`s only deal with UK debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • little_green
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Right if the matter is as serious as you are suggesting then you should report the entire matter to the police.

The fact debts are been sought from abroad, suggests maybe an organised foreign gang are at work here, it sounds to me as though it needs investigating by someone with more clout than an internet forum.

The good news, if there is any here, is that debts from abroad are rarly pursued for long, and are not usualy enforced through the british legal system, in order to do that, the debt must be bought by a UK debt collector, again, this is very rare, most UK DCA`s only deal with UK debt.
    I attend the police immediately after receiving the new DCA letter.
    I explained the whole situation to them & took the original DCA letters along with copies of the bank statements showing fraudulent transactions & print outs of the correspondence.
    The police did not even look at the documents. They refused to issue a crime ref no citing no crime has been committed & they could only take action if I knew who the perpetrator was.
    Can the police really just ignore this & refuse to help? their advice was speak to citizens advice.

I'm at a serious loss of what to do or where to go. It seems no one is interested. I am living in fear of opening my mail for more DCA notices & scared to answer the door in case it's law enforcement.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Replied on your other post.
  • little_green
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Replied on your other post.
    having dug out paperwork received from the bank details are given re the email address the fraudulant transaction was related to & also the ip address.
    Could I now take this to the police.
    The email address is a gmail address, is there a way i can report this to google as a fake account?
    I'm going to assume the paypal transactions & debt relating to paypal are in relation to a PP account set up using that email address. is there a way i can report to paypal that is a fraudulent account?
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    having dug out paperwork received from the bank details are given re the email address the fraudulant transaction was related to & also the ip address.
    Could I now take this to the police.
    The email address is a gmail address, is there a way i can report this to google as a fake account?
    I'm going to assume the paypal transactions & debt relating to paypal are in relation to a PP account set up using that email address. is there a way i can report to paypal that is a fraudulent account?
    If it helps, I had 2 very small amounts deposited in my bank account from paypal, and realised that someone was trying to set up an account. I realised what was happening and phoned paypal and told them, and they traced the account and deleted it. With the information you have got its well worth getting in touch again with Paypal, police, and then gmail. Police should be able to take some action now that you have the IP address.
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
  • little_green
    Options
    oh also worth noting I have ran the IP address & it details the city & broadband provider linked to that IP. Could I notify the broadband provider. probably not. Frustratingly it looks like i'll have to phone paypal as there is no way to email them. Have searched online & google dont get involved with issues re fraud so they won't close the email address that has been created impostering me. that's frustrating.
  • Baggiebird2nil
    Options
    The number for Papal is 08003587911. Maybe you could speak to someone?
  • little_green
    Options
    I have tried various PayPal phone numbers but just keep getting kept on hold.have been eating 40 mins
    Simultaneously had a call going from another phone which got answered quicker but then he said oh I need to transfer you to another department and now I've been on hold on that call too for 20 mins.
    Not very helpful if I can't get through
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport