Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coxi61
    • By coxi61 16th Aug 19, 1:52 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    coxi61
    MBNA PPI response?
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:52 PM
    MBNA PPI response? 16th Aug 19 at 1:52 PM
    Hi,
    With the August deadline looming I have eventually got round to contacting various Credit Card companies enquiring about any PPI associated with my old accounts.
    MBNA sent the following response, and I wondered if it was worth pursuing further as it seems rather vague?

[I]"Thanks for contacting us. Our records show this account had PPI, but premiums were either never charged, or have been refunded already, so there's no action to take."[/I][/I]

As I was unaware of any PPI connected with this account I have never claimed any refund previously, or have I any way of checking whether premiums were taken or not? This account goes back to 2002.
    Not sure whether I should make further enquiries or just accept their findings?
    Any advice appreciated.
Page 1
    • The_squirrell
    • By The_squirrell 16th Aug 19, 2:10 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    The_squirrell
    • 16th Aug 19, 2:10 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 2:10 PM
    Did you clear your balance in full each month? If so, so will not have paid any PPI which may explain it
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
    • coxi61
    • By coxi61 16th Aug 19, 2:19 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    coxi61
    • 16th Aug 19, 2:19 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 2:19 PM
    No, unfortunately in those days I usually paid minimum payment, and sometimes incurred late payment fees as well. MBNA certainly had their pound of flesh from me during this time.

I only use one CC now which gets paid off every month regardless.
    • Jetters
    • By Jetters 16th Aug 19, 2:32 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Jetters
    • 16th Aug 19, 2:32 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 2:32 PM
    Hello Coxi61
    YES pursue it! do you have evidence that you paid PPI?
    If so contact them again, although MBNA have admitted you did have it. I have been chasing MBNA for a couple of years about my PPI and have been informed a couple of times by MBNA my complaint has been rejected. I was persistent and today I received my cheque for 5089.
    Hope this helps
    • coxi61
    • By coxi61 16th Aug 19, 4:49 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    coxi61
    • 16th Aug 19, 4:49 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 4:49 PM
    Hi Jetters, thanks for your response, which gives me some encouragement to take this further. Unfortunately I'm not sure what my next move should be? I have no proof that they collected any premiums, I suppose all I can do is say I have never been paid any refund and that I was not aware any PPI had been applied to my account. Unless you have any other suggestions how I should proceed further with MBNA? Thanks
    • Jetters
    • By Jetters 16th Aug 19, 5:41 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Jetters
    • 16th Aug 19, 5:41 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 5:41 PM
    Our records show this account had PPI, but premiums were either never charged, or have been refunded already, so there's no action to take."[/I][/I]
    [/B]
    As I said in my post earlier I pursued it because I had the evidence that it was charged!
    Only you can decide if you want to accept their comments above
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Aug 19, 9:49 PM
    • 24,626 Posts
    • 14,141 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Aug 19, 9:49 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 9:49 PM
    I have no proof that they collected any premiums
    Originally posted by coxi61
    Well, the Bank are saying their records show that they didn't or that you've already received a refund.

So without any evidence from you which contradicts this, it's difficult to see you progressing any further...
    • Jetters
    • By Jetters 17th Aug 19, 12:55 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Jetters
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:55 AM
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:55 AM
    A lot of companies out there are coming back with "can't locate an account or please supply further information" if you can't do this it will be difficult to progress the complaint. However, if you do have some form of evidence at least they will look into the complaint. Check for more info!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Aug 19, 9:18 AM
    • 24,626 Posts
    • 14,141 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:18 AM
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:18 AM
    I have been chasing MBNA for a couple of years about my PPI and have been informed a couple of times by MBNA my complaint has been rejected. I was persistent and today I received my cheque for 5089.
    Originally posted by Jetters
    You received a Plevin refund of undisclosed commission though, your actual PPI complaint was rejected.
    • Jetters
    • By Jetters 17th Aug 19, 9:21 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Jetters
    Yes it is "Plevin"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,560Posts Today

8,676Users online

Martin's Twitter