Desktop Alternative to FirstDirect "Internet Banking Plus"

Options

Comments

• chamelion
    chamelion Posts: 473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Frank121 wrote: »
    End of an era! I have been happily uisng IBP since it started. There has been nothing like it and in it's hayday worked great. To be fair, its not very good these days as I can't even update balances without crashing but for one stop login it still serves. :)

Agree with Marigold...tech has moved on so much that people forgot the basics of making things simple and easy!

I am wondering if I should try ewise or just bite the bullet and just make a folder of favorites as another poster mentioned. In combination with lastpass some sites will log straight in. (others with individual pasword character boxes won't unfortunatly)

Hey ho...times are moving on.

Ewise incredibly easy to set up!
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I am wondering if I should try ewise or just bite the bullet and just make a folder of favorites as another poster mentioned.
    chamelion wrote: »
    Ewise incredibly easy to set up!

Ewise is the underlying technology for IBP. It hasn't been working properly for many banks in ages, and new problems emerge every day. It will stop working completely when 2FA goes live in September.
    In combination with lastpass some sites will log straight in.
    Lastpass can't handle 2FA, either
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Ewise is the underlying technology for IBP. It hasn't been working properly for many banks in ages, and new problems emerge every day. It will stop working completely when 2FA goes live in September.

Lastpass can't handle 2FA, either

But eWise will continue to work as a portal after September, you'll just have to enter some details manually. That's what I'm doing with IBP for some organisations already, and it's still miles better than doing a full manual login. If you can't do a full automatic update with a balance sheet, then so be it, you get a balance sheet of sorts from Money Dashboard. It isn't bad for that, plus many organisations update in the background.

We'll probably never have anything that works exactly like IBP again, but there is still a decent amount of time-saving possible using a combination of methods. I'm going to struggle to get used to it after so many years of having exactly what I needed, but I don't doubt I will, eventually, even if it's not so elegant. Not that IBP could ever really have been considered elegant by today's standards, but it was damned good for the time.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But eWise will continue to work as a portal after September, you'll just have to enter some details manually.
    I find it totally impractical to use ewise now, even with only two of my financial institutions needing 2FA at present.

I now much prefer individual apps as this is massively faster than ewise ever was, even when it was still working perfectly, which of course it has long stopped doing. It took some time to adjust but I don't even miss ewise now. I thought I'd never say that!

I have looked at Money Dashboard and similar (Yolt, aggregators provided by banks etc) and none of those does anything for me in their current incarnation. That's not least because I have many more accounts than any of those will monitor, so I have to continue using my personal finance manager (AceMoney) or similar anyway, for a complete picture of my finances.
  • 1stGenMeBrit
    Options
    Yeah - also me, an original egg money manager ex-user - even went to thier YB money manager, but also unplugged years ago

I am using Yolt, but nothing to compare with FD-IBP..

Desperate - but will have to stick to eWise..
  • Marigold123
    Options
    Gosh yes, I tried Egg's Money Manager back in the day, too, (they gave me a fiver for adding an organisation!) Seem to remember it was uglier than IBP, but not quite as ugly as eWise!

Funny, am I the only one who feels like they are standing by the bedside of an elderly but interesting uncle who has been ill for years, and isn't expected to last the night? The room is filling up with distant relatives who have come to witness his passing, and to reminisce about his accomplishments and talk about what cool bloke he was in his prime. I hope everyone has brought some beer to drink at the wake!
  • honeststeveo
    Options
    Glad I found this thread as it's answered many of the questions I've had since the announced closure :eek:

Long time Ibp user who also enjoyed egg money manager back in the day.

Have to echo the sentiments about functionality going backwards under the spin off improvements.

So are ewise continuing to support the service for the foreseeable? Presumably after September they won't get balances any longer due to 2fà (which is probably their only business driver for keeping the service running ;selling balance profile data to third parties).

I assume the latter was the benefit for the companies running these services (egg, FD, ewise) though I never saw any embedded marketing nor was aware of any companies contacting me to sell me things that seemed to spookily align

Anyway just to say 1 thing that offers some hope is that open banking is intended to support read-write at some point in the future so we may yet get back to where we are today at some point.:D
  • Marigold123
    Options
    I don't think the eWise platform has ever reported data back to anyone, as that wasn't its purpose. That only really got going when the new generation of aggregators, like Yodlee, (the tech company behind Money Dashboard and others), got into the game. Back in the day I think eWise sold their service to banks as a bit of value added for their customers, and that was it.

They still do the same thing with their new, all singing, all dancing app-based version. It seems to be everything we wish IBP was and isn't, but unfortunately it seems to be for sale to US corporations only, and definitely not for the public at large. I guess it wouldn't work like we'd want it to either now, but it'd still be a neat portal to have on your phone. Sigh.
  • lightbulb2760
    lightbulb2760 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2019 at 12:29AM
    Options
    e-Wise may well be usable after 14th September, as implementation for online banking has been delayed by the FCA until 14th March 2020 (and for online shopping until 14th March 2021).

I asked First Direct about e-Wise still being available, and was told that the regulations do not apply as they are outside the EU.

Putting these two points together, I think it likely that banks will gradually introduce the new rules over the next seven months, and individual organisations will stop updating balances automatically in e-Wise. Assuming that e-Wise still remains available (Australian and American institutions will be unaffected) even when SCA is fully implemented by March next year, it should still be possible to manually intercede in the process by using e-Wise to manually log in to each institution, one by one, and entering the verification codes required, as can be done now on IB Plus.
  • Marigold123
    edited 29 October 2019 at 5:49PM
    Options
    In case anyone is still coming here, I thought I'd mention that I'm happily using eWise, with the occasional look at Money Dashboard, and it's working pretty well for me. Money Dashboard give me a balance sheet, if I want it, and eWise gives me access to my accounts. I choose which to use to get my balances depending on what I want.

eWise isn't as easy on the eye as IBP, for sure, but I'm getting used to it, and liking the fact that I can choose to update just one organisation, by unchecking and rechecking the box beside it. With IBP it was all or nothing. eWise is also faster, presumably due to the lack of cosmetic bloat. I also like the fact you effectively have a 'stop' button, where if you realise one organisation is slowing things down, you can just uncheck it and it stops. I've been asking for something like that from IBP for years! Some organisations are still troublesome, but it's easier not having to run the whole blasted cycle over and over again because Internet Explorer has decided it's all too much.

Banks have been given a stay of execution on introducing their new measures, but in fact I have found that some who have made changes already are still perfectly accessible. It seems to depend on how each bank has chosen to satisfy the requirements, as there is no hard and fast rule about it. One of my organisations requires a verification code now, which I have to get from the app, but the same app also provides a 'quick balance' without a login, (presumably via Open Banking), so not too bad.

I see this continuing to work for me, with the odd tweak, for some time to come. Also of interest is the news that eWise are apparently developing a multiple-browser version of Account Unity, which they say will be available 'soon'. Good to know there will be life after Internet Explorer!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure