Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GloriousEuropa
    • By GloriousEuropa 11th Aug 19, 6:54 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 6Thanks
    GloriousEuropa
    Old fireplace/chimney are a mess! Help!
    • 11th Aug 19, 6:54 PM
    Old fireplace/chimney are a mess! Help! 11th Aug 19 at 6:54 PM
    It used to have an old back boiler that the plumber took out when fitting entirely new plumbing and heating.

I was dusting it out last night and noticed inside is an absolute mess. I expected neat brickwork but itís a mess of infill and loose stones and bricks.

It also alarmingly goes below the floor level.

We want to restore it and put in a log burner eventually. How do I tackle this?

Many thanks

Page 2
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Aug 19, 12:01 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Anyway, FreeBear, sorry if I'm being an idiot and misunderstanding your idea, but do you essentially mean have a new lintel like this?

And sorry to ask too many questions, but is that perfectly square hole in the left fireplace left by the old back boiler pipework and infill being removed, perfectly fine to fill back in with some decent bricks? Do I need a special heat proof mortar?
    Originally posted by GloriousEuropa

A 65mm x 100mm x <how ever wide the chimney breast is> would be just one brick high. But yes, most of what you have outlined in red would be replaced by a new concrete beam. In the process, you'll gain another 75mm or so in height on the opening.

Ordinary cement mortar will be fine for any brickwork you need to do. It won't be subject to extreme heat, nor do you need (or want) a fine finish. That said, if it is an old property, a lime mortar would be more in keeping.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • GloriousEuropa
    • By GloriousEuropa 16th Aug 19, 12:34 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    GloriousEuropa
    Thanks again Freebear. I'll definitely consider it. Though something I didn't spot before is that the lintel isn't straight at the back. It's tapered, and slants upwards to the width of the bricks. I'll try and get a pic later!

I should have said before but the property was built in the 60's!

I'm going to attempt to fill the hole in the brickwork today. Never done it before! Wish me luck! haha
    Last edited by GloriousEuropa; 16-08-2019 at 3:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,047Posts Today

7,254Users online

Martin's Twitter