Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 21st Jul 19, 1:14 PM
    • 383Posts
    • 233Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    Owning a mobile phone will soon be compusory.
    • 21st Jul 19, 1:14 PM
    Owning a mobile phone will soon be compusory. 21st Jul 19 at 1:14 PM
    My bank (Santander) uses customer's mobiles as part of its security measures. I once questioned this and was told that if I didn't then I would get a reduced banking service. I bought a phone and they did not/do not contribute.

Now as part of their proposed security upgrade they say this ...

Will I be able to continue using Online Banking without a mobile?

We require you to have a mobile phone because for some transactions we need to text you a One Time Passcode for authorisation. This is highlighted in our terms and conditions.”

So people with poor coverage or no phone at all will now get no service at all with this bank since it will be required in order to sign in. The title should have said compulsory.
    Last edited by Squire Fulwood; 21-07-2019 at 1:16 PM. Reason: bad spleling.
    It's not my fault your honour, they made me do it.
Page 3
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 15th Aug 19, 12:41 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    vacheron
    OP. if Santander won't let you bank properly without a mobile phone just switch banks to one with a 100-150 switching incentive and use that to buy a nice basic smartphone as well.
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 16th Aug 19, 9:15 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    OP. if Santander won't let you bank properly without a mobile phone just switch banks to one with a 100-150 switching incentive and use that to buy a nice basic smartphone as well.
    Originally posted by vacheron
    Thanks for the suggestion but it has already been mentioned (not the 100-150 bit). It doesn't help the people that have no signal coverage, handicap or just exercise the right not to own a mobile phone.

It has also been suggested that I might have known about this problem when I joined. I joined in 1970 and the bank keeps moving the goalposts.

To all the contributors who are happy with the proposed arrangement, I am pleased for you.
    It's not my fault your honour, they made me do it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,009Posts Today

6,959Users online

Martin's Twitter