Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iglad
    • By iglad 13th Aug 19, 12:47 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 37Thanks
    iglad
    DIY ‘Dog Funds’ ignore Bestinvest
    • 13th Aug 19, 12:47 PM
    DIY ‘Dog Funds’ ignore Bestinvest 13th Aug 19 at 12:47 PM
    I’m posting this so that people don’t have to give their inside leg measurements to Bestinvest to obtain their dogs funds report who use it to hoover up contact details. If you go to the money observer fund performance tables and click on 1 or 3 yrs you’ll see who the poor performers are. Click back and you’ll find out who the best performers are.

You see quite a few dogs from a well known investment house, which used to employ a certain fund manager who is well and truly in the 'dog house' with his investors.

This is purely for those who might be curious, nothing more nothing less.
    Last edited by iglad; 13-08-2019 at 7:25 PM.
Page 1
    • DrSyn
    • By DrSyn 13th Aug 19, 4:01 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    DrSyn
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:01 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:01 PM
    You should be able to avoid a dog fund, by simply choosing an fund or ETF that tracks a world index such as MCSI World or FTSE All World.
    • iglad
    • By iglad 13th Aug 19, 5:56 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    iglad
    • 13th Aug 19, 5:56 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 5:56 PM
    You should be able to avoid a dog fund, by simply choosing an fund or ETF that tracks a world index such as MCSI World or FTSE All World.
    Originally posted by DrSyn
    That is probably true but there's an awful lot of ordinary folks money in badly performing funds.

Also if you are a newbie how is one going to know about ETF's or indeed tracker funds?
    Last edited by iglad; 14-08-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Aug 19, 5:59 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 18,272 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Aug 19, 5:59 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 5:59 PM
    Isnt the point to invest in the dog funds, not avoid them?

I thought that was a recognised investment strategy?
    • iglad
    • By iglad 13th Aug 19, 7:05 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    iglad
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:05 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:05 PM

Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Yes the 'long term hold strategy' which is popular on this forum, not by me though.
    Last edited by iglad; 14-08-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Aug 19, 7:51 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 18,272 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:51 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:51 PM
    The strategy isn't a long term hold.
    The idea is you hold for one year, then sell and reinvest in the next set of dogs.
    Never been bold enough to do it myself.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 13th Aug 19, 8:22 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    TBC15
    • 13th Aug 19, 8:22 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 8:22 PM
    Bestinvest there’s a name from the past, are they still popular?
    • iglad
    • By iglad 14th Aug 19, 12:22 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    iglad
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:22 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:22 AM
    The strategy isn't a long term hold.
    The idea is you hold for one year, then sell and reinvest in the next set of dogs.
    Never been bold enough to do it myself.
    I guess you stop when all your money has gone, now that's quite a game!
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 14th Aug 19, 5:35 AM
    • 9,069 Posts
    • 16,597 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 14th Aug 19, 5:35 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 5:35 AM

Yes the 'long term hold strategy' which is popular on this forum, not by me though.
    Originally posted by iglad
    IIRC, your way of doing it is to sell the things that have gone down and invest in the things that have gone up.

As the profits available from the portfolio from today will depend on what the funds do next, rather than what they just did in the period ended today, you might well do better following a 'contrarian' strategy rather than a 'momentum' strategy.

Bestinvest themselves say:
    Spot the Dog lists the runts of the litter, but it’s not a list of funds that should automatically be sold. This is because we analyse past performance, which isn’t necessarily a guide to how a fund will perform in the future. There may be good reason to believe a down-and-out dog fund featured in the report will get back on its feet.

For example, there are many different approaches to investing. Some funds adopt styles that are out of favour with the markets but might come back in soon. Some managers are suited to tougher times, others to rising markets.
    Then:

Also if you are a newbie how is one going to know about ETF's or indeed tracker funds?
    Originally posted by iglad
    If you are new to investing and don't know much about the stock market you have probably heard the names of the indexes because (e.g.) the FTSE100 and S&P500 have been mentioned on morning and evening TV and radio news and in daily newspapers since you were less than ten years old. Over the course of my life I have heard about 'the FTSE' or 'the S&P' thousands more times than I've read a news article about Baillie Gifford or Lindsell Train.

If I go to any funds search list and start typing FTSE or S&P, my search results will almost exclusively be trackers, and certainly enough to help me realise that tracker funds and ETFs exist.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,047Posts Today

7,254Users online

Martin's Twitter