Major boost needed

Hello I’m new to this forum

I’ve run into a bit of trouble financially with a bit of debt in credit cards. I work offshore adhoc basis and I am looking for ways to boost my income while I am at home. I can not commit to another part time job.

I already do Swagbucks but I am finding it extremely slow to collect points

Desperately needing a break to get into a better position financially. Thanks in advance

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have a read down this section of the forum, there are many, many different threads running with discussions on what people are doing for additional income. See what you fancy.

Other than that, it's impossible for anyone to give you any meaningful advice without knowing what you can do, what you can't do, and so on.

As for credit card debt, I think there's another section of the forum that might deal more specifically with that, which is probably also worth a detailed read.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    … I’ve run into a bit of trouble financially with a bit of debt in credit cards. I work offshore adhoc basis and I am looking for ways to boost my income while I am at home. I can not commit to another part time job...

… Desperately needing a break to get into a better position financially. Thanks in advance
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If it were me, I would head over to the Debt-Free Wannabe board, where I could post up my SOA (Statement of Affairs) for advice, guidance and support. :)

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • You're right, surveys are good for a little boost, but wonder if there's something else you should focus on for now to make best use of your time.

A few questions:

1. Can you reduce your costs?
    2. Related to 1... you mentioned credit card debt. Can you shift the debt to 0%, or reduce the interest?
    3. Switched bank accounts recently? A few providers offer a one-off bonus.

All very much depends on your financial situation of course, but hopefully it gives you a few ideas.
    Save 12k in 2019 #100: £4388.37 / £4000
  • I’m also adhoc offshore. Sometimes work can slow down and I will not get a wage at the end of the month. This year in particular has been very slow with regards to work. And we are struggling financially.
  • sebloak
    sebloak Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I found Swagbucks to be completely useless, taking months to reach the minumum £5 cashout due to the amount of disqualifications. There are better ones but survey sites alone are not great for making much money anyway. You'd have to sign up to lots and spend a lot of time everyday completing surveys from every one you get. Quite a few now seem to have minimum cashouts of £15-£20, which depending how often they send you a survey could take a couple of months to reach. So if youre in a hurry for decent amount of cash for little effort they're not good.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sebloak wrote: »
    I found Swagbucks to be completely useless, taking months to reach the minumum £5 cashout due to the amount of disqualifications. There are better ones but survey sites alone are not great for making much money anyway. You'd have to sign up to lots and spend a lot of time everyday completing surveys from every one you get. Quite a few now seem to have minimum cashouts of £15-£20, which depending how often they send you a survey could take a couple of months to reach. So if youre in a hurry for decent amount of cash for little effort they're not good.

While there is a thread dedicated to Swagbucks - it isnt useless but it can take longer to accrue then other sites.
    If you are solely using it for surveys, that is madness as it is one of the worst survey sites out there.
    I would read the MSE money making guide - as it doesnt sound to me like you are being particularly efficient. I dont know any of the sites other then the £50ers which take months to reach.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Join some of the higher paying survey sites like Prolific Academic and Populuslive. You can also look for sites that pay out when you've reached a lower threshold like Qmee. You won't earn a lot from surveys but even a little helps. Go through some of the things you don't use any more and see if you can sell them. I've sold a few bits to secondhand traders in the local market. I also sold a box full of stuff to Vintage Cash Cow. If you want to sell online try Facebook Market Place. There are no charges. Selling on ebay can be expensive. Do you have a skill you can use while you're at home? Can you cut grass and offer your services? Can you cut people's hair? If you have hairdressing skills you can earn a lot. I had my hair cut in the market yesterday. It cost me £7 for a trim with no frills. It took the hairdresser about 10 minutes and she had queues of people. It was purely a haircutting business, no styling. There's just a few ideas.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I found Appen to be most lucrative for the required time commitment.

I worked on their Falcon project for a year. Unfortunately they only seem to let people work on it for 12 months before they terminate the contract or I would have continued.

I was earning £300 or so a month (they pay in USD so a weak pound is actually good!) for about 15 hours work a month. You could probably push it up to closer to £400 a month if you worked every day. I didn't as the task is pretty repetitive so I needed the odd day off.

In theory it is a part-time job but you only need to commit one hour per day 5 days a week and once you get the hang of the task (it's pretty simple) you can probably complete it in more like half an hour. You can do the work at any time of day pretty much too.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport