Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 1st Aug 19, 12:02 PM
    • 1,920Posts
    • 4,891Thanks
    oystercatcher
    DLA to PIP is there a way to predict when the dreaded envelope will arrive?
    • 1st Aug 19, 12:02 PM
    DLA to PIP is there a way to predict when the dreaded envelope will arrive? 1st Aug 19 at 12:02 PM
    Apologies if this is asked frequently but I tried to search , vertigo makes it difficult.

As the title says, has anyone anywhere noticed a pattern in when the reassesments are being sent? Does it go by area at all? I know some of the initial changes were area based.

I'm starting to stress from time to time as we are both on DLA and suspect the change in assessment will mean we lose out which will make a significant difference.

I'm in North Hertfordshire if it makes any difference.
Page 1
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 1st Aug 19, 12:25 PM
    • 1,770 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    cantcope
    • 1st Aug 19, 12:25 PM
    Both my mum and i were on dla. she got get letter 3 years before i did and we live less than a mile away from each other so it wasnt area based when we both got our letters.
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 1st Aug 19, 12:25 PM
    • 5,273 Posts
    • 10,991 Thanks
    minimad1970
    I'm in Hampshire and my son's just received his, it would be interesting to see if there's any pattern in the process.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 1st Aug 19, 3:05 PM
    • 5,623 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 1st Aug 19, 3:05 PM
    • 1st Aug 19, 3:05 PM
    I believe there was a thread regarding this quite sometime ago and there doesn't seem to be any way to predict what pattern they use to contact people. It's just a matter of waiting.

There's no reason why you can't do some research of your own while you're waiting. PIP and DLA are different benefits, with different criteria and having some understanding of the PIP descriptors will definitely help your claim, when the time comes. Start by reading this....it's long. Take your time and just read a little at a time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Start to gather some evidence to support your claim. I can't tell you the amount of stories i've read where people have claimed and don't have evidence to send with their form. Or they assumed that their GP would be contacted for evidence, which very rarely happens.

By doing this then when that letter does arrive, you'll be well prepared and ready.
    • venison
    • By venison 1st Aug 19, 7:27 PM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    venison
    • 1st Aug 19, 7:27 PM
    • 1st Aug 19, 7:27 PM
    My OH went thru the transfer three years ago I am just going thru it now and a neighbour still hasn't heard, the last "planned" date they had was that all transfers would be done by October this year, but I wouldn't take too much notice of that, it will happen to you when it happens and as Poppy12345 rightly says use this time to do some research and gather your evidence.
    If you are not part of the solution then you must be part of the problem.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 1st Aug 19, 7:41 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 1st Aug 19, 7:41 PM
    • 1st Aug 19, 7:41 PM
    I believe there was a thread regarding this quite sometime ago and there doesn't seem to be any way to predict what pattern they use to contact people. It's just a matter of waiting.

There's no reason why you can't do some research of your own while you're waiting. PIP and DLA are different benefits, with different criteria and having some understanding of the PIP descriptors will definitely help your claim, when the time comes. Start by reading this....it's long. Take your time and just read a little at a time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Start to gather some evidence to support your claim. I can't tell you the amount of stories i've read where people have claimed and don't have evidence to send with their form. Or they assumed that their GP would be contacted for evidence, which very rarely happens.

By doing this then when that letter does arrive, you'll be well prepared and ready.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes, I have been reading and planning and with the different focus of the questions I feel I may well lose out.
    I should start to write a plan though . At least I will know I have done my best then.
    It's just the whole thought of the dreaded assessment process again. It really affected my mental health which isn't my main problem.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 1st Aug 19, 7:42 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 1st Aug 19, 7:42 PM
    • 1st Aug 19, 7:42 PM
    Thank you to others who have responded, it's interesting to know it's not just sweeping an area at a time. I wonder how they do work it out?
    • venison
    • By venison 1st Aug 19, 9:55 PM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    venison
    • 1st Aug 19, 9:55 PM
    • 1st Aug 19, 9:55 PM
    This self test may help;

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test
    • speedfreek1000
    • By speedfreek1000 2nd Aug 19, 6:48 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    speedfreek1000
    • 2nd Aug 19, 6:48 AM
    • 2nd Aug 19, 6:48 AM
    Just remember to ask for the 2 week extension on returning the forms.

It's automatically granted and you don't have to give a reason.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Aug 19, 9:39 AM
    • 5,623 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I always find this PIP self test very misleading for a lot of people. If you don't understand the PIP descriptors and a lot of people don't, then it's very easy to over score yourself.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 2nd Aug 19, 9:49 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    I just did this and awarded myself Standard rate on both BUT , big but , that doesn't mean an assessor will do that. I have been through the mill with ESA assessment and know that some medical professionals understand my condition and some definitely don't and it's pure luck as to who you get .

As for gathering evidence, I don't often see any doctors etc as things have stabilised and there isn't much anyone can do now. I just blunder on with my life but it would be nice to have recognition of how difficult it actually is and how little I can do compared with most people of my age.
    • venison
    • By venison 2nd Aug 19, 4:50 PM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    venison
    I always find this PIP self test very misleading for a lot of people. If you don't understand the PIP descriptors and a lot of people don't, then it's very easy to over score yourself.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Very true, but it can be a starting point for some people who don't understand the descriptors. When I first did it months ago i under scored myself.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 12th Aug 19, 10:47 AM
    • 9,486 Posts
    • 2,526 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I have an important question that I have never been able to get a definitive answer to :
    The mobility question - distance (20/50/200 metres) - does it mean with any mobility aids - or "naked of aids" ?
    It says "aided or unaided" - which is it ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 12-08-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 12th Aug 19, 11:17 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    NeilCr
    This may help

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form/14-moving-around/

And these are the points scored

Descriptors Points
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12
    Last edited by NeilCr; 12-08-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 12th Aug 19, 12:09 PM
    • 9,486 Posts
    • 2,526 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    This may help

[url]https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form/14-moving-around/[/

And these are the points scored

Descriptors Points
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Sorry - but does "EITHER AIDED OR UNAIDED" mean what it looks like ?
    We have the choice .... ?
    And does "aid or appliance" include a wall, doorframe, hand rail or similar ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 12-08-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 12th Aug 19, 12:40 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    NeilCr
    It's what you normally do.

If you walk with a stick, say, most of the time then you answer based on that.

Personally, I wouldn't say that a wall or a door were an aid. That's more a walking stick etc and are often those that would be recommended for you by a doctor or therapist. But, I would mention that you have to use these to get along when you are out walking if that's what you do.

You can use the space for extra information.
    Last edited by NeilCr; 12-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Aug 19, 3:29 PM
    • 5,623 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Sorry - but does "EITHER AIDED OR UNAIDED" mean what it looks like ?
    We have the choice .... ?
    And does "aid or appliance" include a wall, doorframe, hand rail or similar ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Walls, door frames are not classed as aids. Aids for walking will be walking sticks, walking frames, crutches etc. Inside isn't included in this activity either. It's outside on a flat surface, pavements are considered but hills aren't.

If you use an aid such as a stick then tell them, if you don't then tell them this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

898Posts Today

6,996Users online

Martin's Twitter