Electrical quote, fair???

Options
Hi so I've received a quote for some kitchen electrical work for my new kitchen, basically its:

Install new 8 spotlights into ceiling.
Move 5 fuse spurs and fit.
Add 2 new double sockets and 1 single socket.
Change a single socket to a double.
Move 2 light switches approx 6 inches from current location.
Move an existing double approx 2 foot away.
Add in some strip lighting to 1 unit.
Wire in a double oven which is approx 10 ft away from exsisting place.

I'm supplying the spotlights and all new socket faceplates, cooker spurs and fuse spurs.

I've been quoted £650?
I don't have a clue to whether this is a fair price or not?

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Way too cheap.

I haven't actually seen your installation obviously, but I would estimate it should cost almost double that.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    Way too cheap.

I haven't actually seen your installation obviously, but I would estimate it should cost almost double that.

Wow, just shows how out of touch I am with electrical home prices, I thought it was a lot bearing in mind I'm buying all the sockets and lights, but hey guess I'll see what the second quote comes back at and go from there...
  • basiluk
    basiluk Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, very low price.
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Too cheap

Cost it at around £40 - £45 per item

Is the electricain registered? will you get a certificate included in the price?
    baldly going on...
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A couple of years ago we had some work done by a guy who worked for the local council. He turned up at the weekend and did the jobs, gave us a certificate and left.

The list wasn't quite as long as below - He did it in a day (started at 8 and finished at 6) but he wanted £210 compared to some of the other quotes I got which were close to £1k.

If someone is capable of doing all those jobs in a single weekend, and your are providing the sockets, spots, and faceplates, then a day rate for labour of £325 may be quite enticing.

Especially if your are paying them in cash.

The key points made earlier are spot on, is he registered, will the work be certified, but if he is then I wouldnt write him off as being too cheap.

I would definitely ask if they are going to sink the cable into the wall for the extension or move jobs and make good the original hole as I have seen loads of jobs with the cable being spurred outside the wall with a bit of plastic conduit stuck over it.

Do your homework, ask the questions before they start, and dont presume anything....
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is on the lower quote but I wouldn't say it's unreasonably cheap if there isn't a lot of chasing to do and the new spur fuse and sockets locations are very nearby too. I know some electricians price it low if they squeeze it and do it during the gap of the contract/project they are in.

Make sure he's registered, and your work will be certified.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cybervic wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's unreasonably cheap

It unquestionably is as I have pointed out.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'll update when i return home in a week's time to see the workscope completed, i was there when they did the 1st fix and all wires are chased through the wall and its been plastered now and when i get home i'll see the end result.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure