Facing upto debt

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 10 August 2019 at 2:44PM in IVA & DRO
I am new to this forum malarkey. I finally came clean to the man I love (and was going to marry in two months), my financial situation and how bad it was. Needless to say he's cancelled the wedding and is very very hurt that i didnt share this with him in the beginning of our relationship. I dont blame him at all. I am very very ashamed. There are no excuses I am to blame for my situation.

It spiraled out of control when the father of my children encouraged me to get credit and mobile phones as he couldn't. Alarm bells should have rung I realise this now. He cheated on me lots and left me with no money debts and 2 small children. I was on income support until both children were able to go to school full time, and did seek advice from the citizens advice and they negotiated that I pay back £1 per month to the companies and as my income increased from working I was able to get more credit.

In my eyes I wanted to give my children the things other kids have and they life they deserved. I also feel guilty that their father has never once wanted to be a part of their lives. I've run up catalogue credit card and loan debts. Buying things made me feel good I wanted nice things for me and my 2 children. I didnt want them to be laughed at.

Money was never spoken about when I was growing up, I knew we weren't rich but I was never guided by anyone as to how to handle money.
Anyway over the years a couple of failed relationships later I finally met the man of my dreams. He made it very clear from the beginning how he felt towards me, and I kept my guard up. I thought he'll leave me the same as everyone else.

He knew I had a loan for my car at an ridiculous rate but wasnt aware of all my existing debt and recent debt I'd built I had before I met him. I kept it hidden. In my eyes I was meeting the minimum payments it was fine. It was my problem and not his, plus the shame of opening up to him or anyone is horrible. I didnt want to let him us down (I know I have massively). We'd discussed future plans and buying a house in 5-10years etc and stuff but I'd always avoid the part of how I'd actually ever be able to do that.

He knew i couldn't afford family holidays, he paid, and most of the time on family days out he'd pay too. Unless if I had enough on my credit card I'd pay and spend on there without him knowing. Then my mum passed away last june and I was responsible for one of her outstanding catalogue debts, he rang and spoke to them on and they dealt with the matter incredibly and as the account was in my mums name no further payment was required. I had my opportunity then to come clean but... I was so devastated after my died and upset at my situation which I skated on to him, that i just said I'm too ashamed and left it there. He told me he'd support me and when I was ready I could tell him. I didnt.

Well sunday night he told me my worst possible fear, that he didnt want to get married and with only 2 months to go my world fell apart. No warning signs no arguments etc nothing, just that something was telling him not to get married and he didnt know how he felt anymore. All my worst fears came true. Monday we actually had the most honest conversation we have ever had, and I opened up about my debt and how bad it was. Credit file says £18k but I know theres more as I was still paying those old £1 debts. He was livid and hurt and feels betrayed says I've lied by omission to him and had he'd known he would never have asked me to marry him... the following morning he rang an iva company on my behalf and they are now looking at it for me and I should hear back from them next week.

I should have come clean at the beginning of our relationship i know that now. Hes worried it will all come back on him and the responsibility of house expanding business etc. We dont have joint finances nor are any of the Bill's or rent in his name. The responsibility lies with me. As for our relationship i feel I've lost him for good, the man who completed me and it's my fault for being such a failure.

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sending good wishes and reassurance that the money side at least can get fixed over time. can't offer advice on your broken relationship other to say don't blame yourself my thoughts are it was very cold of him just to break it off - sounds like hes worried about the money more than you and that wouldn't have ended well whatever

plenty of helpful people will come along although Saturday's can be quiet on here. if you feel up to it suggest you post a little more detail on the debts so people can focus on how to help you through your IVA or whatever you choose

sorry for your troubles and your loss
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you he doesnt believe he could ever trust me again he is feeling betrayed and rightfully so. I have ruined everything.
    My debts are to credit card companies and next catalogues loans I got to pay off the cards but never closed then ran the debts up on the cards again.
  • mark55man
    Options
    I'm not saying you didn't have your head in the sand, but my feeling is if he reacts like this now how would he have reacted if you told him at the beginning. just doesn't feel very sympathetic or empathetic

so I'm not known for my sensitivity, so I would wait until you get some female replies for their perspective on this. Whilst I don't want to underplay the importance of this light bulb moment, nor how daunting this is to you now, many on this board will be looking at 18K and thinking that is very doable if you see through your new determination to sort your money out

now - in the middle of heartbreak and of loss for your mum it can be very difficult - and possibly you might even add more to your debt, but as long as you start the journey to get in control then sooner rather than later you WILL be in control and then you can start the road back to making a more secure life for you and the your children

hope you take this in the supportive way its meant.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What's done is done.

We can all try and guess what is going through his head, we may or may not be right. But, it doesn't change your situation.

If you are happy to put up a statement of affairs we can give you some suggestions about how to tackle your debt.

With time, talking and demonstrating change you may be able to salvage your relationship, if you really want to after seeing his reaction to your debt and having time to think.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • mark55man
    Options
    here is the SOA that MovingForwards suggested

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

Even if you feel too fragile to post it have a go at filling it in and try and get on top of a few things

It will be hard with everything else, but money saving / debt busting can be something to focus on while the things you can't control wash around you
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 August 2019 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Your not a failure, your only human, personally I think your chap has overreacted here, and is thinking more about himself, than you.

Please do not rush into obtaining an IVA, they are the right choice for some people, but not for others.
    Your living situation is one important factor, IVA `s are designed for homeowners who have massive debts and cannot go bankrupt, unless that is you, forget an IVA.

Do you have £200-£300 pounds per month disposable income ?
    If so a DMP (debt mangement plan) may work.

Or, if you rent, have very little income, few assets, then a DRO (debt relief order) may be suitable instead.

You have choices here, but we do need to see a fully completed SOA in order to provide you with the best advice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • mark55man
    Options
    I agree with sourcrates - there are lots of different solutions and which is best depends on what your debts are, what your current situation is and what you can live with afterwards in terms of income and credit record.

we're all on your side here, just trying to get you into the best position, but the more you can help us with info the more accurate and useful our support will be
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills