Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Comments

• miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Grandad2b wrote: »
    Example: my missus is going to visit a friend in Lincoln. We live near Doncaster. The return advance fare from Donny to Lincoln is £18.10 yet if I put our local station as the start it shoots up to £42.60, even though a return from our station to Donny is £11.00.

This split fare isn't found by raileasy either

I am going to sound like a pedant here, but it is important to differentiate between fares "bought in advance" and Advance fares.

The walk up Anytime Day Return fare from Doncaster to Lincoln is £18.10 which can be bought on the day or in advance (i.e. it is the most you should pay).

Advance fares for that journey start from £6.50 (valid on Northern only).
  • Grandad2b
    Grandad2b Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    miller wrote: »
    I am going to sound like a pedant here,:j
    Advance fares for that journey start from £6.50 (valid on Northern only).

I'm a pedant too :)

Now looking for fares @ £6.50
  • Grandad2b
    Grandad2b Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Now looking for fares @ £6.50

No sign of anything cheaper than the walkup fare. Probarly left it too late :(
  • miller
    No sign of anything cheaper than the walkup fare. Probarly left it too late :(

I've just checked that while Advance fares for Doncaster to Lincoln on Northern "exist" they are suppressed by journey planners. There doesn't appear to be a direct service provided by them which may account for that (so you didn't miss out on anything!) :)
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    miller wrote: »
    I've just checked that while Advance fares for Doncaster to Lincoln on Northern "exist" they are suppressed by journey planners. There doesn't appear to be a direct service provided by them which may account for that (so you didn't miss out on anything!) :)

Before the May 2018 timetable change, there used to be a direct stopping service from Doncaster to Lincoln, via Sheffield. Since the timetable change the Lincoln services have come from Leeds instead.

Try putting "via Sheffield" in the journey planners, otherwise I can see the default route offered as changing at Retford [or one of the handful of EMT services]
  • frosty12345
    frosty12345 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,
    I am looking to book advance tickets travelling from Manchester-London on 15th October in the morning. (Virgin trains route)

As of today, advance tickets seem to be available until 6th October from the Virgin website. (Disagrees with National Rail https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx)

I've signed up to an alert via thetrainline,but can anyone tell me when exactly these tickets will be available (date/time)? Then I can make sure I'm in a place to buy them.

Thanks!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've signed up to an alert via thetrainline,but can anyone tell me when exactly these tickets will be available (date/time)?
    No sorry, no-one can do that.
  • cassie13
    cassie13 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I work for NHS London and have to visit my mother in Glasgow. As she is getting frailer I need to see her frequently. I have always been able to get cheaper train tickets but this seems to have stopped for all journeys from Glasgow to London Euston. The standard price of £146 is offered for every date/time from now up to January 2020. I can get cheaper offers from London to Glasgow but not for return journey, Can anyone help and advise why this has happened?
  • miller
    I looked on

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/
    For Wednesday, 02 October 2019 - Glasgow Central to London Euston and found £30 advances on the 1400, 1440, 1540...

not sure what's going wrong your end.
  • £5 off all UK train travel here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family