Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    I don't ever tip, and ask for it to be removed if its automatically added. I've paid the bill and assume the wage of the staff is taken into account in this.

In all my years as an IT consultant nobody ever tipped me - funny how its expected in certain circles and not in others....
  • I sometimes tip and I sometimes don't.

I never have the expectation that I will tip as I don't know what service I will receive.

I do however always get the service charge removed (where it is discretionary)
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the service is above and beyond what I'd expect then yes. I detest pre-added service charges and often ask for them to be removed (unless the service was exemplary).
  • AnonDC
    AnonDC Posts: 2 Newbie
    Sometimes I want to tip but I'm on that student budget and I start to feel really bad.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    nalimcc wrote: »
    I used to work in a shop which had a cafe attached, the cafe had a tip jar but the tills didn't. Wouldn't have said they worked particularly harder than us or spent that much longer with the customer. Is what it is, I guess.
    I've just spent 10 days in the US and saw a variant of this.

If it's a cafe where you have ordered food/drink and someone has made it and brought it to a table then OK - there has been an extra service so you could tip. If it's a snack bar where you have selected pre-packed items and brought them to the counter and paid for them and taken them to a table yourself - the only service has been to take your money and give change - so nothing to tip for (IMHO). Yet I saw the locals blithely chuck the odd change into the tip bucket. Why? You'd get the exact same service in a 7-Eleven and not be expected to tip...

I did notice that some restaurants put tip calculations at the bottom of the bill for you - 15% is $X; 18% is $Y; 20% is $Z which is handy for some. I just rounded up to a suitable number.

I did also ask quietly whether tips on a card went to the actual server (when it was a single server) or to the team or to the company. The answer was "It does go to me but thank you for asking as some places keep it."

This is New England, BTW. Other states and cities may vary...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • I'll tip if we get good service (usually I'm only in restaurants if Mrs MbW and I are out for a meal) and especially where the card machine will allow you to add a tip - some don't, and I don't usually carry cash on me.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I don't usually carry cash on me.
    Does Gibbs carry cash?:D

I almost always have some cash on me - even if I don't touch it for a fortnight. If I know we're eating out I check in case I need/want to leave a cash tip. (Mind you - I'm old enough to have been to restaurants that didn't take cards back in the 90s)
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Cocorita
    Cocorita Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    No. I don't tip usually. I do it if the service was outstanding, but not as a rule.
    I hate the idea of the forced tipping they have in the US and I don't want to contribute to that !!!!! spreading everywhere else.

Sadly it's becoming a rule in the UK due to social pressure (funny how social pressure works fine for corporations and greedy !!!!!!!s, but never in the other way).
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Despite being very anti tipping in the uk, I’m just back from the Dominican Republic where I tipped the waiter who served me juice at the breakfast buffet, the waiter who served me water at the lunch buffet, the waiters who served dinner, the barmen & women who served me drinks by the pool or at my table, the chambermaid who cleaned my room & the porter who moved my cases!
    But it’s different there, they do not have the benefit of the
    Minimum wage as staff do here.
  • I do not tip :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family