Veggie and Vegan Rant

Options

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Takmon - parents give their children those products making it seem normal. They are as you say easy to cook but yes a lot of people would rather take themselves away from the product it really is as much as possible.
    My OH goes hunting and the amount of people that say they couldn't take an animals life is unbelievable. A dead animal he's just shot and has to prepare etc is still quite a distance away from an already prepared chicken/beef/pork etc product. Burgers/sausages/nuggets etc are just an even further form from the original alive animal.

Prinzessilein - over 90% of soy production goes towards animal feed, not humans.
    Over 50% of grain goes on animal feed.
    The above amount would feed over 6 billion people! Instead they are fed to animals.
    So tofu and other like products are still less damaging than animal products.
    Also soya as I have said before can and should be grown in the UK. It would be better for everyone.
    Other resources go into making animal products such as water which is an issue that is starting to become bigger. Some places are so close to day zero. We all have to be aware of water. Animal products take more water as a secondary form of food than plants as a direct form of food.
    Animal husbandry can even contaminate water (slurry run off).
    No matter the advances in technology or so called small places doing it 'ethically it is still not going to be ethically sound.

That is without the fact that it is speciesist to use one animal for they by product or take their life just because they are 'insert animal of choice' instead of a cat/dog/other animal regarded as a pet.

If you eat an animal you are still causing an animal to have their life cut short unnecessarily.
    Those that have their by products taken are kept in places that don't have a lot of space (most free range chickens don't manage to get outside and I remember egg packets recently stated about them being laid by hens temporarily housed in barns for 'their welfare'), in the case of dairy cows they are forced to be pregnant over and over to produce milk and when they aren't profitable anymore they are killed many years before they can live naturally. Etc with other animal products. Lives are forced a certain way while alive and always they are killed earlier than their natural life span can be.
    How is that possible when you say you are an animal lover? That isn't just aimed at you but others also. It doesn't compute.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Yet more sickening Vegan BS propaganda. On a phone so will have to be brief....

Where do you get the 90%+ soya being feed to livestock??? WWF has a figure of 70%.

Feeding soya to cows produces more milk that soya "nutwater" ie. its more efficient to feed it to cows to turn into milk rather than nutwater. Go have a read.... https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/dairy-cows-livestock-behind-growth-soya-south-america/

Your water rant...
    From The Guardian..."IME state that to produce 1kg of meat requires between 5,000 and 20,000 litres of water whereas to produce 1kg of wheat requires between 500 and 4,000 litres of water."
    So it takes 5 times more water to produce the Beef YET 1kg of beef contains around 2000kcals where as say a kg of vegan cabbage only contains 125kcals. You do the maths!

Lots of cultures do eat dog/cat etc...... what's your point caller?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2019 at 10:55PM
    Options
    .... vegan cabbage..:rotfl:
    Mr Singleton " I never eat vegan food, me":rotfl:
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Apologies for lack of response, have been away all week:
    I
    Did you start this thread because you went to a friends house and they had cooked you something with quorn in it?

pretty much
    hollydays wrote: »
    So tell us the story about the meal you tried to cook for your vegetarian friends where you went to a lot of trouble?

It "started" on the May Bank Holiday when I arranged a bbq at mine for our team at work (10 people)
    My work "brother" Jim (not his real name) is a part time vegetarian, we are at each others houses for food/drink etc at least once a week, so I am used to preparing food for his requirements and always have a variety available for him depending on his mood.
    I asked him if he would be veggie or meat for the bbq to which he replied veggie -- no problem.
    We have a reasonably new member of staff Jane (not her real name) who is a vegan. So I asked her that as Jim was eating veggie would that food be ok for her and if she had any particular "needs". No the veggie stuff wouldn't be good enough, she needed this and that from here and there - no problem for a one off I figured. Oh and dont forget, I cant cook "her" food with my food and I cant use the same implements etc etc - It's a one off so I complied

Fast forward some weeks and Jane decides to host a bbq - no asking if we had any particular requirements etc but anticipating potential "issues" some of us took along our own food -- meat burgers, sausages, dairy cheese etc etc.

Arrived and was met by Jane who immediately stated "I've prepared everything as vegan, so you can all enjoy it" to which 8 of us all looked at each other and Jim just shrugged.

No worries we said, we have brought some none vegan food for us to which the reply was long the lines of "well I don't know how you are going to cook it because you aren't using any of my appliances"

I (and apparently some of my colleagues) don't like vegan food - I don't like the taste, I don't like the texture, so half of us left. The next day, the other half stated they wished they had as well.

Needless to say, no one will be inviting Jane around again, nor will we be expecting an invite from her - any group events involving food willl have to be at a restaurant or similar I think
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 20 July 2019 at 10:59AM
    Options
    My work "brother" Jim (not his real name) is a part time vegetarian,
    So an omnivore then :D
    So I asked her that as Jim was eating veggie would that food be ok for her and if she had any particular "needs"
    I wouldn't expect vegetarian food to be suitable for a vegan. In the food, I'd expect eggs and milk, and bakery products may well contain milk. She may have been a little frustrated by this question, as although the definition of vegan is pretty straightforward, many seem to be confused by what 'no animal products' means.
    No the veggie stuff wouldn't be good enough, she needed this and that from here and there
    It would have been easier for her to bring her own food, partly to avoid any possible confusion, but primarily so as not to put the host to any trouble. BBQs are ideal for that, other meals not so much.
    I cant cook "her" food with my food and I cant use the same implements etc etc - It's a one off so I complied
    Subject to allergies, I think that is a step too far. There are no animal welfare, environmental or health issues with using the same grill and wiped down implements which could have have the slightest contamination.

Having said that, I've found BBQ hosts usually want to go far further than I'd consider necessary, and clean everything really carefully for vegan guests.
    anticipating potential "issues" some of us took along our own food -- meat burgers, sausages, dairy cheese etc etc.
    That could at worst be perceived as rude (unless guests were invited to bring their own food), and at best is running a high risk of creating a difficult situation knowing that a vegan is hosting the BBQ.
    No worries we said, we have brought some none vegan food for us to which the reply was long the lines of "well I don't know how you are going to cook it because you aren't using any of my appliances"
    Given your experience at the BBQ you hosted, this response couldn't have come as a surprise? Even without the previous BBQ, such a response was not unlikely.
    I (and apparently some of my colleagues) don't like vegan food - I don't like the taste, I don't like the texture, so half of us left.
    Without even trying food ('vegan food' covers an enormous range of food, and if you eat meat with every meal your level of meat consumption will be far too high to be healthy), I'd consider this falls into it being very rude to question the food provision of the host, in the same way as if a vegan guest started to lecture a host about their meat choices.

It does sound as if there is a lot of inflexibility on both sides.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    JamoLew wrote: »

I (and apparently some of my colleagues) don't like vegan food - I don't like the taste, I don't like the texture, so half of us left. The next day, the other half stated they wished they had as well.
    It appears that you don't like Janes "vegan food" which is fair enough although I suspect its the meat substitute part of the meal you dislike which is often a vegans way of accommodating meat eaters. I don't enjoy barbecues but have never left one because I can't eat what I want. Aren't they a social event?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2019 at 9:12AM
    Options
    I'm not massively keen on barbecues either, they seem to be a lot of effort for not a great outcome.

Not sure it could be any worse than one I went to, cooking done by the man of the house who never usually cooked.
    Cheap wafer thin burgers burnt to a crisp. Cheap sausages( Lloyd's) , pieces of pork, burnt.
    Piles of this meat blackened dry meat constantly piled onto my plate, like " it's meat it's delicious" he's urged on by his Father who also has never cooked , to be careful to cook the burgers thoroughly( oh yes they were thoroughly cooked) as they might cause food poisoning .
    I don't recall much veg or salad , but I ate it without complaint.

Sometime later I was out for a meal with some of them.
    That week I'd gone out for a lot of meals , and was tired of eating meat so ordered a vegetarian meal . This guy actually laughed , he couldn't comprehend someone wouldnt eat meat in a restaurant.
    There are some real dinosaurs about .

Were there no nice salads with this vegan food?
  • slashlover
    slashlover Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    JamoLew wrote: »

Personally, I love baked potatoes and sweetcorn done on the BBQ.

Did you even try the food or just decide you didn't like it?

If you had arrived and Jane had said she had some lovely goat/kangaroo/alligator meat for the BBQ would you have eaten it or is it your lifestyle choice not to eat it?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    slashlover wrote: »

If you had arrived and Jane had said she had some lovely goat/kangaroo/alligator meat for the BBQ would you have eaten it or is it your lifestyle choice not to eat it?

Wouldn't any meat eater eat those?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Wouldn't any meat eater eat those?

I would! Lidl sell kangaroo steak on occasion and my local South African shop has crocodile (similar to alligator). Next door neighbour makes an awesome goat curry. I'll happily try pretty much anything - though I did turn down warthog as they're impossibly cute :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure