Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    • 4,840Posts
    • 4,170Thanks
    CHR15
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??
    • 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension?? 25th Jun 08 at 3:15 PM
    A few years ago I helped out the FIL who was a Veteran of the RN.

He had left the RN in 1978 but didn't realise that when he reached 60yrs old he was entitled to claim a Forces Pension. They won't come looking for you, if you don't claim it, you won't get it.

He is no speedy bullet, but isn't without his faculties either. If he didn't realise, there must be others out there who are unaware of their entitlement too.

I doubt there are too many people reading this but if you have a relative who served in the forces after 1975 and he is 60yrs old he/she is entitled claim a pension

Have you served in the military since 1975?
    It is possible that you have earned a preserved pension payable at age 60 for AFPS 75 or 65 if in AFPS 05. Read the following to see if you qualify and follow the links for the application forms if you do.

Pensions

There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05.
    1. AFPS 75 pension benefits are based on rank and length of Service. All personnel serving between 6 April 1975 and 6 April 2005 will have served under the AFPS 75 scheme.
    2. AFPS 05 pension benefits are based on length of Service and final salary and personnel who joined after 6 April 2005 will be serving under the AFPS 05 scheme. However, personnel serving between July 2005 and March 2006 were given the option to move to the AFPS 05 as part of the Offer to Transfer process.
    There are some fundamental differences between the schemes that cover both retired benefits and dependents benefits. To find out what benefits personnel are entitled to, click on the link below and download the booklets that are applicable to the AFPS that you/your spouse are/were serving under.

Service Preserved Pensions

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 (or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006). However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

Contact

Service pensions are administered by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA). Pension payments are made by Xafinity Paymaster (1836) Ltd, the paying authority for the Armed Forces pension Schemes (AFPS).
    Contact Details:
    JPAC Enquiry Centre,
    Mail Point 403,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    GLASGOW,
    G2 8EX

Freephone 0800 085 3600
    email: JPAC@spva.mod.uk
    Last edited by CHR15; 26-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Page 6
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 25th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    What is really needed isn't an advert it is one of the "rags" to run an OMG what a scandal type pieces. The remaining 90% (& probably a whole lot more) would be in touch within weeks.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    You'd have thought so, wouldn't you? There have been newspaper articles on the campaigns to pay pensions to veterans who left before 1975 and in support of the post-retirement widows, neither of which came/will come to anything, but nothing about the veterans (or their widows) who DO qualify but who may not realise it.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 25-03-2018 at 7:02 PM.
    • BAZA
    • By BAZA 19th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BAZA
    Can anyone know how to calculate how much pension i would get i need a lump sum as became disabled 25yrs ago the government does no longer pay interest on my mortgage so need 11000 to pay my mortgage off.
    is there any way i would be able to use the cash to do this instead of moving out of our home.
    i joined the RAF in 1974 and left in 1985 as a junior technician my first year was boys service so not counted.
    our house is on the market at present was wondering if its worth holding out hoping we can stay in our property as i was meant to apply at 60yrs but just been told i can apply which i have but am now 62yrs old. thanks in advance.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    If your application is back-dated to age 60 ( depends on what you put on the application form to explain why you didn't claim it on time ) then your tax free lump sum of 3 x pension plus 2 years of back-dated taxable pension should crack 11K.

What was the reason for your disablement? Was it Service related? Also, have you been unable to work in the last 25 years?

Ex Sgt Pers Admin.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 20-04-2018 at 1:46 PM.
    • BKLister
    • By BKLister 4th Aug 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BKLister
    l am trying to find out if l will get a pension from the RAF l served from FEBRUARY 1974 until MAY 1987
    my rank was SAC or senior aircraftman
    l do not know if l am on the right page to find this information out thank you in advance
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 21,512 Posts
    • 15,771 Thanks
    molerat
    l am trying to find out if l will get a pension from the RAF l served from FEBRUARY 1974 until MAY 1987
    my rank was SAC or senior aircraftman
    l do not know if l am on the right page to find this information out thank you in advance
    Originally posted by BKLister
    These are the basic rules for eligibility.
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60
    Your service covers most of the changes, it seems you will get one - you left after 1978 so no minimum age and you had more than 5 years adult service. Give them a call and they will confirm

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow, G2 8EX
    0800 085 3600
    Last edited by molerat; 04-08-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 4th Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Assuming you did 12 years from age 18, that makes you 61 now? Your pension was payable from age 60 (even if you were/are still working) and there is no benefit in deferring it. Ring Veterans UK on Monday to start the ball rolling.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 04-08-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    • nan64
    • By nan64 18th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    nan64
    I was talking to an elderly gent today who served 10 years in the Army and was discharged in January 1976. Am I right in thinking he might be able to claim a Preserved Pension at this late stage? as I read online that they were introduced in the April 1975.

Many thanks for your help.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Sep 18, 6:33 PM
    • 21,512 Posts
    • 15,771 Thanks
    molerat
    I was talking to an elderly gent today who served 10 years in the Army and was discharged in January 1976. Am I right in thinking he might be able to claim a Preserved Pension at this late stage? as I read online that they were introduced in the April 1975.

Many thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by nan64

Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60
    I would say yes, subject to point 3.

1. Left after April 75
    2. More than 5 years service
    3. Over 26 (might be a sticking point if he joined up at 15 which I think was possible back in the 60s)

So if he covers all 3 points he needs to contact

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow, G2 8EX
    0800 085 3600
    Last edited by molerat; 18-09-2018 at 6:57 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • nan64
    • By nan64 19th Sep 18, 12:46 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    nan64
    Thanks very much molerat for your good advice I have passed it on to the gentleman concerned, and he is going to ring them today.

Best wishes
    Nan
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Sep 18, 12:57 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Thanks very much molerat for your good advice I have passed it on to the gentleman concerned, and he is going to ring them today.

Best wishes
    Nan
    Originally posted by nan64

Please let us know the outcome - we love good news on these boards !
    • Thunderpants1817
    • By Thunderpants1817 22nd Dec 18, 11:16 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Thunderpants1817
    Medical Discharge Pension Advice
    My dear husband joined in 1979 and was medically discharged as a Sgt in late 2001 with injuries caused during his service. His mental health is quite poor and is confused wether he is entitled to a pension.

Upon discharge he was awarded 40% disability by the spva but is now at 80%, initially he received a small lump sum a monthly pension from the Army and a war pension.

There has been no further lump sums awarded between the 40% and 80% and is unsure if he should have received a further amount.

He is aged 59 now serving under the AFPs 75 and is confused by the whole thing, any advice would be appreciated.
    Best Regards
    Thunderpants
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 22nd Dec 18, 1:11 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    My dear husband joined in 1979 and was medically discharged as a Sgt in late 2001 with injuries caused during his service. His mental health is quite poor and is confused wether he is entitled to a pension.

Upon discharge he was awarded 40% disability by the spva but is now at 80%, initially he received a small lump sum a monthly pension from the Army and a war pension.

There has been no further lump sums awarded between the 40% and 80% and is unsure if he should have received a further amount.

He is aged 59 now serving under the AFP’s 75 and is confused by the whole thing, any advice would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by Thunderpants1817
    This is so complex, I would go straight to the experts in this field - the war pensions department of the Royal British Legion. They'll also be able to advise if your husband is entitled to any other benefits.

0808 802 8080
    www.britishlegion.org.uk

My best wishes to both of you. People say that Mr S and I are 'lucky' to have our Armed Forces pensions, but I know our 'luck' was down to completing our combined 50 plus years of service with our minds and bodies intact - unlike so many others.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 22-12-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 22nd Dec 18, 7:56 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Murielson
    Go direct with your enquiry

Armed forces pensions enquiries
    Joint Personnel Administration Centre (JPAC)
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

Telephone:
    0800 085 3600

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,767Posts Today

8,835Users online

Martin's Twitter