Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GrowMoney
    08007838422 Scam or Genuine HSBC?
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:04 PM
    08007838422 Scam or Genuine HSBC? 28th Feb 08 at 9:04 PM
    Hi all,

I have been receiving calls from this phone number 08007838422 on my mobile 2 or 3 times a day for weeks. When I answer I end up speaking to an Indian call centre.

The male tells me that he is calling me from HSBC and that he has to inform me of something important associated with my account.

But first he says I must verify my details. The first question he asks is "What is your date of birth!"

Naturally I keep refusing to give him these details. If I ask what the call is regarding he just repeats that I need to verify my details. I have repeatedly told this number that they are calling me and that it is them you need to verify their details. I hang up but the calls keep coming.

I wondered if anybody else has been getting these calls. A quick search on internet revealed the following thread http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08007838422 It seems I am not alone and that hundreds of people are reporting the calls.

Nobody seems to know if this is a Scam or a genuine call from HSBC. If it is HSBC then I am shocked that they would call in this manner. I mean has HSBC never seen Phone Jacker! This is turning into Harassment

Anybody else had any problems?
Page 1
    • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    • By TEDDYRUKSPIN 28th Feb 08, 9:10 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    TEDDYRUKSPIN
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:10 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:10 PM
    Actually it sounds like this is a scam.

From what I remember, if HSBC phone you and you do not answer they will not leave a number to ask you to phone back. If you phone back to this number it will provide a voicemail stating that HSBC has attempted to phone you. They will not leave a number.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 28th Feb 08, 9:52 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:52 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:52 PM
    I have been receiving calls from this phone number 08007838422 on my mobile 2 or 3 times a day for weeks. When I answer I end up speaking to an Indian call centre.

The male tells me that he is calling me from HSBC and that he has to inform me of something important associated with my account.

I wondered if anybody else has been getting these calls. A quick search on internet revealed the following thread http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08007838422 It seems I am not alone and that hundreds of people are reporting the calls.
    Originally posted by GrowMoney
    Having read that thread, its quite obvious to me that its a genuine HSBC number and not a scam..

Regards
    Sunil
  • GrowMoney
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:56 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:56 PM
    How do you work that out Sunil? a lot of people say they have called HSBC and that they deny making the call.

I think I will give him a false date of birth next time he calls. If he is genuine he should spot the error.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 28th Feb 08, 10:15 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 28th Feb 08, 10:15 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 10:15 PM
    How do you work that out Sunil? a lot of people say they have called HSBC and that they deny making the call.
    1. The number of people on that thread who have called HSBC afterwards on one of their main numbers and HSBC say they did try and contact them.

2. Those who agreed to give their postcode etc and found it was a genuine call..

I suspect different parts of HSBC may have access to different databases - hence the differing replies when someone tries to call HSBC and confirm if its a genuine call - sometimes they are wrongly informed its not.

It also makes sense that the callers sometime say they represent:

- HFC
    - Marks and Spencer Money
    - The GM Card

instead of HSBC.. as they are all owned and run by HSBC.

Regards
    Sunil
  • guynextdoor82
    • 28th Feb 08, 10:57 PM
    genuine HSBC
    • 28th Feb 08, 10:57 PM
    I can re confirm with sunil that IT IS GENUINE HSBC its from their collections dept i had on of them wen i went over my overdraft

the actual call center is in Philippines
    • fas3robinj
    • By fas3robinj 28th Feb 08, 11:09 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    fas3robinj
    • 28th Feb 08, 11:09 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 11:09 PM
    The number checks out OK on "Say No to 0870" as an HSBC number.
  • GrowMoney
    • 29th Feb 08, 9:18 AM
    • 29th Feb 08, 9:18 AM
    Thanks to all those who replied, I have just phoned HSBC on their complaints line and they confirm that they have been trying to contact me. It seems my new card has been returned as I have changed address.

Still I cant believe that they would do this. This 0800 number is not listed in their phone directory. I would not recommend that anybody give their DOB, sort code, account number etc to some random stranger who calls them on the phone. It wont be long before the scammers pick up on what HSBC is doing.

Thanks again

GrowMoney
    • iwanttoberich
    • By iwanttoberich 29th Feb 08, 9:54 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    iwanttoberich
    • 29th Feb 08, 9:54 AM
    • 29th Feb 08, 9:54 AM
    I totally agree with you GrowMoney. I never give out my details unless I have originated the call. Otherwise I tell them that if they really want to talk to me then send me a letter or I look for the number myself and call. I think if it is a serious issue then they should contact you in writing anyway.

These days, with so many scams around, you never really know who is on the other end of the line, regardless of how professional they sound.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 29th Feb 08, 12:32 PM
    • 6,958 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    SayNoTo0870 list the number as an HFC/HSBC number

That said however I'm loathe to give out any personal details to someone who calls me out of the blue from a number I don't recognise. (Exceptions being IceSave the other night because I knew they'd be calling, and Egg who's number I have in my phone's address book.)

My first question in reply to their (non-known caller) first security question is 'prove that you do work for $COMPANY'. They usually can't.

If you don't want to talk to them, ask for a reference number which you can use if you ring back on a publicly advertised free number on their website.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Scousebird
    Thanks to all those who replied, I have just phoned HSBC on their complaints line and they confirm that they have been trying to contact me. It seems my new card has been returned as I have changed address.

Still I cant believe that they would do this. This 0800 number is not listed in their phone directory. I would not recommend that anybody give their DOB, sort code, account number etc to some random stranger who calls them on the phone. It wont be long before the scammers pick up on what HSBC is doing.

Thanks again

GrowMoney
    Well done on being so sensible, there is so much fraud going on out there so you were right to question.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 6th Mar 08, 2:32 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    I presume you will be updating the http://whocallsme.com/ website to confirm it is a genuine HSBC number?

Regards
    Sunil
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 6th Mar 08, 3:36 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    I havent had any phone calls but have had e`mails telling me to go through link and confirm details, saying if I dont do this within 48hrs I will not be able to access my account.
    Very strange that, as I dont have an account with them.
    Has anyone else had the same thing?

:confused:
    • Mark7799
    • By Mark7799 6th Mar 08, 4:00 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 3,251 Thanks
    Mark7799
    Having had a similar experience to the OP a few months ago with Barclaycard, I'm amazed that the banks are still using these tactics with the current stories about ID farud in circulation and their own advice about revelaing info on the phone.

My call was someone from Barclaycard who asked me information (I said that if they really were from Barclaycard then they'd know that already) When I phoned Barclays to complain they said they'd outsourced some telesales to a third party company - not one of their smartest moves.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 6th Mar 08, 4:26 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    I havent had any phone calls but have had e`mails telling me to go through link and confirm details, saying if I dont do this within 48hrs I will not be able to access my account.
    Very strange that, as I dont have an account with them.
    Has anyone else had the same thing?
    Originally posted by Pippa.S
    If you ever get an email 'from a bank' (any bank - even one you have an account with) saying that you have to click on a link and reset or check your security details - that email is fake.

They are known as phishing emails and should be reported to the relevant bank.

In HSBC's case that is to phishing@hsbc.com

If you were to actually click on the link in the emails you would go to a fake bank website and if you hand your username/password to them, they will try and defraud you!

Regards
    Sunil
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 7th Mar 08, 1:06 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    I will take your advice and report it gt94sss2. I was just going to ignore it but maybe thats not such a good idea.

Thanks
    Anne
  • Zipcarter
    They just called and said they were Marks and Spencer
    Wife just got a call from the same number saying they were from Marks and Spencer - fancy that!
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 25th Mar 08, 10:42 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Wife just got a call from the same number saying they were from Marks and Spencer - fancy that!
    Originally posted by Zipcarter
    Marks and Spencer Money is owned and run by HSBC..

Regards
    Sunil
  • Noah'strolly
    I got a call last night from first direct but didn't even pick up the phone, just let the answerphone get it, as the number was withheld. They left a contact number, which was not their usual number. I rang the bank, but using the number in my phone's contacts list, not the one they gave. The call had been genuine and because there was a note on my file they were able to put me through to the correct department. It was a hastle and I was on hold nearly 15 minutes but you can't be too careful. I just wish they wouldn't withhold their number!
    The police once rang me from a withheld number asking personal details after my wallet was stolen - how daft!
    • Spartan
    • By Spartan 11th Apr 08, 8:30 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Spartan
    Having read this post I can see that the 0800 number that keeps ringing me is HSBC, but I still refused to give the guy my date of birth. He got a bit annoyed and kept saying, "well how do I know that I am speaking to the right person?" I wasn't really sure what to say so just told him to send something in writing.

I actually think that it is regarding my HSBC student sccount that is overdrawn (but well within the agreed, free limit) because they want me to pay money into it regularly. A regular income was never one of the terms and conditions of the account, I wouldn't have taken it if it was - since I was a student at the time (hence student account - duh!) and barely had any income, let alone a regular one!

I will at some point pay it off and cancel the account, HSBC have really been getting up my nose recently, and dodgy-sounding phonecalls is the cherry on the cake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,580Posts Today

8,268Users online

Martin's Twitter