Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 2nd Jan 08, 7:10 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Budget Planner Spreadsheet Help Thread
    • 2nd Jan 08, 7:10 PM
    Budget Planner Spreadsheet Help Thread 2nd Jan 08 at 7:10 PM

This thread is specifically so you can
    Ask questions/discuss technical issues about the Budget Planner spreadsheet
    that's in
    The Budget Planner: Free budgeting tool and special piggybanking system

IMPORTANT. This is only for technical questions.

Alternative discussions

Discuss the Online version
    Discuss the Spreadsheet version

Read the article first. If you still have any problems, then click reply to discuss below.
    Last edited by Former MSE Ian; 20-03-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
    • space rider
    • By space rider 27th Feb 08, 7:28 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    space rider
    I had problem too but I was trying to put the figures in the protected bit which was the total. If you put the amounts in the monthly, weekly or yearly bit it works!
  • dizzydame
    Same Problem with adding rows to spreadsheet
    Hello

Im trying to add more rows to the "Enter Other Income Source" part of the spreadsheet, but its not allowing me to do so...saying that the page is "protected". When I try to "Unprotect" it prompts me for a password. Which i obviously dont have.

Im using the spreasdsheet in Office 2007...could this be the problem?
    Originally posted by Eggfoot
    Im having same problem using Office XP. Anyone able to help?
  • Liz Curry
    Budget Planner Spreadsheet
    I'm probably being stupid but this spreadsheet is password protected so I can't add any numbers to it. I've tried saving it as something different, but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
  • dizzydame
    I managed to put the figures in. To the monthly or annual columns and it automatically totals things but still cant add rows.
    Have resorted to lump items together eg House Insurance although would ideally split by buliding and contents and am inserting comments so I can remember why the figs are what they are. It would be better to have some free categories and more free listings on the end of existing categories.
    Sorry I cant help with your problem.
  • cbelto
    Password Protected
    Has anyone rsolved the problem of password protected budger planner? I can't seem to get to the bottom of it?
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 19th Mar 08, 5:08 PM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Hi guys

As you know the spreadsheet is password protected.

We added a password to it to stop people entering more columns and rows, possibly breaking some of the underlying equations. We don't advise unlocking it, although we understand people may wish to change the names of some of the categories and make more personal edits.

If you're having trouble unlocking the spreadsheet you'll have to un-protect each individual sheet using the password 'money'.

If you use the password though, and things go wrong, we won't be able to help you as we have no way of re-creating the situation, so unfortunately we have to add a "use at your own risk" warning to this password.

Take care

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ajr
    • By ajr 5th May 08, 9:00 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    ajr
    Have downloaded and saved it but only looks as if bits of it there,there are a few cells but no proper columns etc.Am I being dim?
    One day the big prize will be mine!

Expresso coffee maker.
  • slektor
    Great Worksheet....BUT
    The sopreadsheet is really awsome, and the fact that it's free makes it even better!

But there is a small flaw that i have to point out... the columns are FIXED, I agree to having restrictions off all kinds on the program due to copyright laws, but we should have the possibility to expand and reduce columns or have the autofit function otherwise if we enter numbers that are too big, we just get loads of hash keys that don't really mean anything.

Please find a solution to this inconvenient problem that greatly reduces the effectiveness and the use of this program.

Thank you!!
  • espresso
    The sopreadsheet is really awsome, and the fact that it's free makes it even better!

But there is a small flaw that i have to point out... the columns are FIXED, I agree to having restrictions off all kinds on the program due to copyright laws, but we should have the possibility to expand and reduce columns or have the autofit function otherwise if we enter numbers that are too big, we just get loads of hash keys that don't really mean anything.

Please find a solution to this inconvenient problem that greatly reduces the effectiveness and the use of this program.

Thank you!!
    Originally posted by slektor
    It pays to read some posts before posting e.g. three post up! post #46
    Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..
  • Former MSE James

Thank you!!
    Originally posted by slektor
    Thank you for your feedback . I have updated a development version of the budget planner to allow you to change the widths of the columns on some of the sheets. iIf you could try using this version and if feed back is positive then I will replace the main version with it.
    Development Budget Planner

Thanks
  • darcey
    help
    help totally confused... i cant understand any thing... my budget planner has told me im in hell and im using my finances up .... of course this is true... i dont earn enough..... help.....
    :confused:
  • darcey
    hello anyone out there ??
  • jackanory
    problems with openoffice
    I have downloaded Openoffice, right clicked the little hourglass shows its busy but the programme won't open
  • Jellyman
    I have Microsoft Vista which uses Works as an automatic programme to open up budget planner, but it is not recognised. I have uploaded Microsoft Office excel but still cannot open it. I have tried save as and changing the file type but still no luck. I really hate Vista.. can anyone help?

Thanks
    Originally posted by purdles

Hi

I also have windows Vista, and absolultely cannot download it, it say's 'file is corrupted'.

I have tried to open it through works and not, I have also tried to save it as all files and as exl.

I am stumped.

Anyone help - and yes vista sucks!!
    • Cuidadosa
    • By Cuidadosa 15th Aug 08, 10:46 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Cuidadosa
    Broken link
    Hi,

I believe the link to download the spreadsheet is broken

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/attachment/budget_planner.xls
    The following error was encountered:
    Unable to determine IP address from host name for images2.moneysavingexpert.com
    Is the server down?
  • espresso
    Hi,

I believe the link to download the spreadsheet is broken

Is the server down?
    Originally posted by Cuidadosa
    No, learn how to use your PC.

:rolleyes:
  • nickbrat
    Monthly Planner
    Hi Everyone

The Budget planner is a great tool however i'm looking for something slightly different.

A monthly planner, something where i enter exactly what i've been paid each month ( my wages change every month depending on how much overtime i do.)

I then enter the direct debits and other monthly bills and deduct these as my priority bills.

Then factor in Shopping at 80pw, petrol at 60pw, calculate how many nights i can go out each month, this is easy as i work shifts so i'm physically only capable of venturing to the pub on "X" number of days, this i estimate at 20 per night.

All these figures added together give me a final total when deducted from my earnings. I check my account online every day and since i have been doing this i have a greater control over my spends.

If i see that i am not going to have enough left to stay in credit till the end of the month i can knock off some nights out or reduce the shopping by 5pw until my final figure shows me staying in credit.

But i want a planner that looks great with flashy bits and things that go ping, i want something with pretty pictures and clever little things that add up sums for me. I want something thats colorful and makes me go "wow"

Can someone make me one?
    • Cuidadosa
    • By Cuidadosa 20th Aug 08, 1:07 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Cuidadosa
    No, learn how to use your PC.

Originally posted by espresso

That's not very helpful, is it?

And thanks, but I do know how to use my PC.

I've clicked on the link with the secondary mouse button and selected "Save target as" and it's come up with a pop-up error message:

Internet Explorer cannot download e5897875 from www.moneysavingexpert.com
    Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

If I just click on the link, I get this:
    The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/attachment/budget_planner.xls
    The following error was encountered:
    Unable to determine IP address from host name for images2.moneysavingexpert.com
    The dnsserver returned:
    Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
    This means that: The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL. Check if the address is correct. ***********************************************So, is there anyone that can give me any HELPFUL advice?Thanks a lot!
  • espresso
    That's not very helpful, is it?

Well you asked "Is the server down?" and after downloading the file to check, I said no! This proves that the file is available to download.

And thanks, but I do know how to use my PC.

Well you obviously have problems then. Try using openDNS here if you are having DNS resolution problems.

Originally posted by Cuidadosa
    • squashy
    • By squashy 7th Sep 08, 8:39 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    squashy
    I would really love a "notes" column on the expenditure side so I can add a few reminders eg next to "hobbies" write "Brownies and Football" so it will make sense.

I have also had to put a few things under the wrong headers so that I can get it to keep all my Direct Debits in the same section, for example charity donations have gone into section 1 as they come straight out of the bank! This helps with the other sections too when deciding how much cash to withdraw for the month to cover all the bits and bobs, and how much pocket money to give my husband (lol)!

It is a really fantastic tool, thanks MSE!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,739Posts Today

5,819Users online

Martin's Twitter