Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • APR95
    • By APR95 21st Oct 19, 6:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    APR95
    Transfer of House Deeds
    • 21st Oct 19, 6:06 PM
    Transfer of House Deeds 21st Oct 19 at 6:06 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding transferring house deeds into my name. My Grandad passed away a few years ago without leaving a will, we are now living in the house that was 'his' as far as the deeds are concerned. I'm now looking to transfer the house into my name and am not sure where to start as online there is the mention of so many different forms and I'm not sure which are appropriate to my situation. As far as I can tell the house isn't registered as of yet (It is an old house).

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 21st Oct 19, 6:15 PM
    • 31,640 Posts
    • 81,087 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 21st Oct 19, 6:15 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 6:15 PM
    You can't just take over the ownership of the house - his estate should be administered according to the intestacy rules.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 21st Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    • 31,626 Posts
    • 19,616 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 21st Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    My Grandad passed away a few years ago without leaving a will, we are now living in the house that was 'his' as far as the deeds are concerned.
    Were Letters of Administration obtained?

https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate

Was his estate administered according to the rules of intestacy?

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 21st Oct 19, 7:09 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:09 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:09 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding transferring house deeds into my name. My Grandad passed away a few years ago without leaving a will, we are now living in the house that was 'his' as far as the deeds are concerned. I'm now looking to transfer the house into my name and am not sure where to start as online there is the mention of so many different forms and I'm not sure which are appropriate to my situation. As far as I can tell the house isn't registered as of yet (It is an old house).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by APR95
    See here for the forms you need:
    https://help.landregistry.gov.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/27/~/transfer-ownership-to-the-beneficiary-after-the-sole-owner-has-died
    You will need probate/letters of administration
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,546Posts Today

8,345Users online

Martin's Twitter