PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would this create a Terrace?

Options
Both live in semi detached houses with our garages joining each other.

Next door neighbour extended above their garage 10+ years ago but left the garage as a garage.

We would like to add a bedroom and utility room in our garage.

Would this make our houses terraced once work is completed? Or to do that would we have to extend above our garage and have the rooves touching. We want to avoid the terracing effect obviously.

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sound like it already is in many people view. An attched garage attached to your neghbours and a house attached the other way. Terrace if you ask me.

People get so hung up on names. There's probably a name for it "link terrace" maybe?

Does it matter to anyone/ 99.9% of people not wanting "terrace" would not go for it already.

Another thought. I count most new build "detached" as terraces to be honest. One metre in the middle is may as well be territory. It's the house that counts not what you call it.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have what is called a 'linked semi' where the main body of the pair of houses is only attached by a non-living space to the house next to it.
    Whether it would be classed as a terrace if you undertake the work you describe depends whether you are buying or selling!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With a garage inbetween linked. With rooms terraced.
  • MaxiRobriguez
    Options
    People will judge on your photos, not what words you write about it.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There are loads of people who will write off terraced houses. I don't think you can presume people will judge on pics not words. Semis are generally pricier than terraced houses.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have first floor roofs touching then yes, the planners will see that as the terracing effect.

Really, roofs touching isn't any kind of sensible building method anyway. There'd be no proper room to point the outside of your wall, and impossible to maintain in future.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • neneromanova
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's food for thought with the neighbours. Don't want to !!!! them off too much.
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's food for thought with the neighbours. Don't want to !!!! them off too much.

The neighbours with the garage connected to yours would have no justification for getting upset if you did exactly the same as them. Just because they got their first doesn't make it ok for them and not you. The neighbours more annoyed might be the other two semis at either end being made into end of terrace houses by default through no fault/choice of their own.

Personally though, I feel like linked semis or terraces are the same thing and run the future risk of becoming a proper terrace if neighbours extend above the garage exactly as your neighbours did. So I imagine people would already avoid your house and write it off as a terrace already if they didn't want a terrace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure