Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pkpk
    • By pkpk 21st Oct 19, 10:32 AM
    • 50Posts
    • 3Thanks
    pkpk
    ISA Help
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:32 AM
    ISA Help 21st Oct 19 at 10:32 AM
    I'm pretty bad with money and investing and looking to make positive improvements.
    I'm in my 40's and have managed to save some money here and there but nothing that really adds up to a great deal and sadly no pension.

My first task is to deal with my ISA situation and was hoping to get some help. I set up an ISA with Natwest (then called a Balanced Growth fund and now called a managed Growth Fund) 10 years ago paying in 50 per month. The balance is 8k but after reading about the poor performance of bank ISA's I was considering transferring it to something like a Vanguard VLS60.

5 years of my current fund performance is 6% and 5 years of the Vanguard is 51% although I'm not sure I'm reading the charts correctly. I can afford to put more in now and wanted to check that this fund might be a good start to quickly transfer to while I learn more about investing.

Thanks
    PK
Page 2
    • pkpk
    • By pkpk 21st Oct 19, 8:26 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    pkpk
    Is there a specific fund on Avivia that would work as a set it and leave it? Or even type of fund.

I found the risk ratin and made some progress with terminology! Baby steps!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 21st Oct 19, 8:28 PM
    • 31,594 Posts
    • 19,591 Thanks
    xylophone
    You seem happy with the Vanguard Life Strategy Style - look for the closest equivalent with the funds offered in the Stakeholder?
    • pkpk
    • By pkpk 21st Oct 19, 8:39 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    pkpk
    The Vanguard one comes from just reading what’s popular rather than an informed decision. It’s seems to be a good choice for low-ish risk from a few threads I have read.

The Stakeholder ones seem to have a lot lower returns from the 8/10 that I have been through and there doesn’t seem to be any recommendations online (not the best way to choose admittedly).

Over the years I generally get to this point and put it on hold due to feeling ill equipped to understand it all. That’s clearly not worked as a strategy and it feels very much like the last chance to possibly make some significant savings.
    I just bought the recommend book so hopefully that’s some use too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

37Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter