Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BKD1972
    • By BKD1972 21st Oct 19, 8:53 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 3Thanks
    BKD1972
    Economy 7
    • 21st Oct 19, 8:53 AM
    Economy 7 21st Oct 19 at 8:53 AM
    Good Morning
    I'm buying an apartment that has Economy 7. However, it doesn't have storage heaters (not sure if it did have and they were replaced) so it defeats the object I think. i'd only be utilising the cheap rate with washing clothes through the night. Any heating would be outside cheaper rate hours so expensive as would all my other electric use (I dont watch TV through the night etc). It seems that moving away from Economy 7 would be better for me.

I'm not sure if the meter is linked into the central heating system. If so, can the meter be changed?

If the meter cant be changed Is it possible to switch to a single tarriff?

Thankyou for any help.
Page 1
    • jk0
    • By jk0 21st Oct 19, 9:33 AM
    • 3,215 Posts
    • 26,977 Thanks
    jk0
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:33 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:33 AM
    Does it have gas heating, then?
    • BKD1972
    • By BKD1972 21st Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BKD1972
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    Does it have gas heating, then?
    Originally posted by jk0
    No. Electric heaters that arent storage heaters so pretty much pointless being on E7
    • Haarlem
    • By Haarlem 21st Oct 19, 9:57 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Haarlem
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:57 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 9:57 AM
    Good Morning
    I'm buying an apartment that has Economy 7. However, it doesn't have storage heaters (not sure if it did have and they were replaced) so it defeats the object I think. i'd only be utilising the cheap rate with washing clothes through the night. Any heating would be outside cheaper rate hours so expensive as would all my other electric use (I dont watch TV through the night etc). It seems that moving away from Economy 7 would be better for me.

I'm not sure if the meter is linked into the central heating system. If so, can the meter be changed?

Thankyou for any help.
    Originally posted by BKD1972
    Do your sums before you ditch E7.

I have E7 and no electric heating. I get the cheap rate 1.00am to 8.00am (East Midlands) all year round and easily achieve a saving. With our life style we get 35% on average for the year at the cheaper rate and save around 60 a year. How is your water heated?.

There are some good E7 tariffs for our area around, and the savings have got better over the last few years.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 21st Oct 19, 10:00 AM
    • 5,540 Posts
    • 5,658 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:00 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:00 AM
    Are you sure you haven't got underfloor or ceiling heating? Both run on E7. I've had flats with both over the years. Is there/Are there thermostats on the wall?
    Last edited by poppasmurf_bewdley; 21-10-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • BKD1972
    • By BKD1972 21st Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BKD1972
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    Do your sums before you ditch E7.

I have E7 and no electric heating. I get the cheap rate 1.00am to 8.00am (East Midlands) all year round and easily achieve a saving. With our life style we get 35% on average for the year at the cheaper rate and save around 60 a year. How is your water heated?.

There are some good E7 tariffs for our area around, and the savings have got better over the last few years.
    Originally posted by Haarlem
    Thanks for your reply. The EPC says electric immersion (off peak) for the water heating.

I just thought that with not having storage heaters I'd be using them as an when at the higher rate and everything else other than washing machine would be higher rate i.e TV from about 6-11 each night, set top boxes, PC/laptop, fridge, lights.
    • BKD1972
    • By BKD1972 21st Oct 19, 10:08 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BKD1972
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:08 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:08 AM
    Are you sure you haven't got underfloor or ceiling heating? Both run on E7. I've had flats with both over the years. Is there/Are there thermostats on the wall?
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    There's no underfloor or ceiling heating.

The plus is its top floor so i'll get the heating from the two flats down below
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 21st Oct 19, 10:15 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Talldave
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:15 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:15 AM
    You don't necessarily need to change the meter to not be on an E7 tariff, many suppliers can happily add two readings together to bill on a single tariff.

More worrying is that you're buying a flat on which you're unsure if the heating is going to bankrupt you? That said, the free heating from the neighbours is handy. A couple of years ago I was in a "middle" flat and was insulated on four sides; heating bills were amazingly low!
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 21st Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Gerry1
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    Oh dear, if you're all electric you'll have massive bills. Don't change the meter: many suppliers will happily add up both readings and charge a single tariff.

However, keep a close eye on your meter readings and keep checking from time to time whether a single tariff or E7 is cheaper.

Yorkshire Energy might be a good start: they are cheap and good, and they are competitive at low (25%) levels of off-peak usage. Their bills are extremely clear and are sent within a few minutes of you supplying your meter readings.

Update: Just seen Talldave's post. Telepathy is at work...
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 21st Oct 19, 10:30 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    Good Morning

Thankyou for any help.
    No. Electric heaters that arent storage heaters so pretty much pointless being on E7
    So what forn of central heating does it have?
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 21st Oct 19, 10:33 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    Thanks for your reply. The EPC says electric immersion (off peak) for the water heating.

I just thought that with not having storage heaters I'd be using them as an when at the higher rate and everything else other than washing machine would be higher rate i.e TV from about 6-11 each night, set top boxes, PC/laptop, fridge, lights.
    It's up to you. It's going to cost you an arm and a leg trying to keep the place warm with normal rate electricity, as you accept. But at least you could save a bit on your hot water.

I'd think very carefully about proceeding with the purchase, or at leasr allow in the purchase price enough money so that you can install a heating system that you can afford to run.

Any expenditure in upgrading the heating will be reflected in the resale value whenever it is resold.

Don't be tempted to put the car before the horse. Decide what form of afforadble heating you plan to install (if you do ahead with the purchase) and then decide what is the best energy tariff(s) for you.

As mentioned above by another, E7 can be cheaper even for very low (or in some circumtances, zero) overnight usage.
    Last edited by Biscuit Tin; 21-10-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 21st Oct 19, 10:34 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    cranford
    My immersion heater plus some power for freezer and fridge/freezer use night hours of E7 and use 1250 kwh a year and my day time use is 3200 kwh. So I am over the 25% threshold that is considered to be the starting point for E7 to be economic. However I am now on a single rate tariff which is cheaper for me than a 2 rate E7 so I no longer use my tumble drier and washing machines at night. However I think tumble driers may have got safer .
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 21st Oct 19, 10:39 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    .. Don't change the meter: many suppliers will happily add up both readings and charge a single tariff....
    Originally posted by Gerry1
    No, I think "many" is rather an over-exaggeration of the true situation .

If you want a single rate tariff, and you want to be able to choose from the whole of market, then you will need a single rate meter.
    • BKD1972
    • By BKD1972 21st Oct 19, 10:43 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BKD1972
    You don't necessarily need to change the meter to not be on an E7 tariff, many suppliers can happily add two readings together to bill on a single tariff.

More worrying is that you're buying a flat on which you're unsure if the heating is going to bankrupt you? That said, the free heating from the neighbours is handy. A couple of years ago I was in a "middle" flat and was insulated on four sides; heating bills were amazingly low!
    Originally posted by Talldave
    The heating wont bankrupt me, I just wont use it much. I hardly had the heating on when i had gas central heating in my house. Its paying a higher E7 rate on other electrical items throughout the peak times that I cant avoid.

I've just had an email from the seller saying the electricity bill is around 35 a month but she doesnt have a TV. Thats nothing but i'm not sure its the truth
    • BKD1972
    • By BKD1972 21st Oct 19, 10:45 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BKD1972
    It's up to you. It's going to cost you an arm and a leg trying to keep the place warm with normal rate electricity, as you accept. But at least you could save a bit on your hot water.

I'd think very carefully about proceeding with the purchase, or at leasr allow in the purchase price enough money so that you can install a heating system that you can afford to run.

Any expenditure in upgrading the heating will be reflected in the resale value whenever it is resold.

Don't be tempted to put the car before the horse. Decide what form of afforadble heating you plan to install (if you do ahead with the purchase) and then decide what is the best energy tariff(s) for you.

As mentioned above by another, E7 can be cheaper even for very low (or in some circumtances, zero) overnight usage.
    Originally posted by Biscuit Tin
    I've set money aside for upgrades.

Do you know anything about Fischer?
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 21st Oct 19, 10:50 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Talldave
    No, I think "many" is rather an over-exaggeration of the true situation .

If you want a single rate tariff, and you want to be able to choose from the whole of market, then you will need a single rate meter.
    Originally posted by Biscuit Tin
    You're entitled to your opinion, and Gerry1 and I ours. I've been chopping and changing energy suppliers since the 90s, always with E7 meters, and have never failed to have my switch accepted on a single rate tarrif. Some on these forums find this hard to believe, to extent that I had to post one of my Ovo bills to disprove the lie that they would not accept E7 meters on a single rate tarrif.

When I did take up a Yorkshire Energy E7 tariff recently the break even point was just 15% off peak.
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 21st Oct 19, 11:11 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Gerry1

Part of the Outfox The Market / Eco7 family it would seem, with their wonderful reputation for outstanding customer service... NOT.

They sell very expensive so-called storage heaters that run on very expensive full price electricity. You can't even cancel your order because they claim their radiators are made to measure. The 'guarantee' means very little, it's only that the radiators are big enough, and it excludes the electronics bits after two years. There's zilch about the running costs, which will be astronomical because the cost of a kWh of full price electricity is about 4 - 5 times that of gas.

The glowing Trustpilot reviews are very curious: they are usually from new contributors and are limited to how neat and tidy the recent installation was back in the summer. You're unlikely to find many that say they've been warm throughout the coldest winters and their bills have been lower.

Set aside money for Gas CH instead. Ask the seller to show you the electricity bills.
    Last edited by Gerry1; 21-10-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 21st Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    • 3,215 Posts
    • 26,977 Thanks
    jk0
    I wonder if this place didn't originally have storage heaters, and a previous owner has been talked into ditching them. (Are there two fuseboxes?)

In that case, I would buy some second hand storage heaters from ebay, and install in hall & lounge.
    • BKD1972
    • By BKD1972 21st Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BKD1972
    Part of the Outfox The Market / Eco7 family it would seem, with their wonderful reputation for outstanding customer service... NOT.

They sell very expensive so-called storage heaters that run on very expensive full price electricity. You can't even cancel your order because they claim their radiators are made to measure. The 'guarantee' means very little, it's only that the radiators are big enough, and it excludes the electronics bits after two years. There's zilch about the running costs, which will be astronomical because the cost of a kWh of full price electricity is about 4 - 5 times that of gas.

The glowing Trustpilot reviews are very curious: they are usually from new contributors and are limited to how neat and tidy the recent installation was back in the summer. You're unlikely to find many that say they've been warm throughout the coldest winters and their bills have been lower.

Set aside money for Gas CH instead.
    Originally posted by Gerry1
    Thanks. They do look a bit dodgy.

not sure the lease will allow gas CH.

I think i'm stick with an electric heating system, its just finding the best balance
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 21st Oct 19, 11:20 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin

Not as much as I now know about you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,705Posts Today

6,379Users online

Martin's Twitter