Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • easy
    • By easy 20th Oct 19, 4:26 PM
    • 2,337Posts
    • 2,748Thanks
    easy
    Motor insurance - won't quote for temporary drivers before purchase.
    • 20th Oct 19, 4:26 PM
    Motor insurance - won't quote for temporary drivers before purchase. 20th Oct 19 at 4:26 PM
    So, 20 year old son at University. Befor he went he had his own motor insurance for his little car. sold the car, cancelled his insurance to save money while at uni.
    He will be coming ho,me at xmas of vcourse (and Easter), and is hoping to do part-time shifts at the supermarket 8 miles away. he's happy to take late night shifts, no public transport to get there and back.
    We have a family car, 5 year old 1.3 Yaris - nothing fancy. It makes sense for him to use it while he is here just to get to and from work.

Insurance policy is coming up for renewal in Nov. Current insurer has quoted 280.00 for standard annual insurance (hubby and I as named drivers), and was happy to quote 60.00 for son to be added for 14 days over Christmas holiday (I asked just to get an idea of the cost). They allow temporary drivers to be added for a total of 30 days in any 12 month period, so if he used the car for 14 days at christmas, that allows nly 16 days in total for the period up to Nov 2020.

Other insurers are coming up with lower quotes for annual policy but won't give us any indication of cost for temporary driver.
    e.g. Churchill 208.00 for hubby and I, and allow up to 90 days temporary driver per year. but they won't/can't give me anyidea at all of what the cost would be to cover our lad for 14 days. They will only quote for that once we have purchased the annual policy.

So I could save 80 on the annual policy, only to find they want 200 or more to cover son for 2 weeks? How are we supposed to make a decision about our renewal on that basis.

I thought Insurers were supposed to be becoming more fair in how they quoted?

BTW just to be clear, Son will only be using the using the car on an occasional basis, hubby would continue to be main driver.
    Last edited by easy; 20-10-2019 at 4:30 PM. Reason: clarification
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 20th Oct 19, 4:30 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 3,787 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 20th Oct 19, 4:30 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 4:30 PM
    Would it cost much more to have him as a named driver for the full year? I'm on my daughters' and husband's cars. One of my daughters insurance went down with me being a named driver.
    • easy
    • By easy 20th Oct 19, 4:44 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 2,748 Thanks
    easy
    • 20th Oct 19, 4:44 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 4:44 PM
    Would it cost much more to have him as a named driver for the full year? I'm on my daughters' and husband's cars. One of my daughters insurance went down with me being a named driver.
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    Believe it or not, Churchill want an extra 700 to put him on as a named driver !!
    Aviva - our current insurer - want 350 . I'm thinking that might endup being easier, although they are the most expensive just for Hubby and I. But basically that cost virtually wipes out themoney he can make working over xmas
    (one further point, hubby doesn't really want him to have year-round insurance on the car )
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Oct 19, 5:18 PM
    • 35,260 Posts
    • 22,250 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:18 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:18 PM
    Believe it or not, Churchill want an extra 700 to put him on as a named driver !!
    Aviva - our current insurer - want 350 . I'm thinking that might endup being easier, although they are the most expensive just for Hubby and I. But basically that cost virtually wipes out themoney he can make working over xmas
    (one further point, hubby doesn't really want him to have year-round insurance on the car )
    Originally posted by easy

Going on your figures its an extra 10 to get him added as a named driver for the duration of the policy, Id go down that route.
    • easy
    • By easy 20th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 2,748 Thanks
    easy
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    Going on your figures its an extra 10 to get him added as a named driver for the duration of the policy, Id go down that route.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    NO. Aviva want 350 per year to add son in addition to the 280 per year for Hubby and I as named drivers. !
    I have no idea where you got 10 from ??
    Last edited by easy; 20-10-2019 at 5:40 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Oct 19, 7:06 PM
    • 35,260 Posts
    • 22,250 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Oct 19, 7:06 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 7:06 PM
    NO. Aviva want 350 per year to add son in addition to the 280 per year for Hubby and I as named drivers. !
    I have no idea where you got 10 from ??
    Originally posted by easy

Yes my bad, I misread what you posted.
    I misread the 350 was to have your son added on for the year.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 20-10-2019 at 7:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

2,828Users online

Martin's Twitter