Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 20th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    • 224Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Cliddy
    Password manager
    • 20th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    Password manager 20th Oct 19 at 4:11 PM
    I'm interested in using the Talktalk password manager, can someone answer a couple of probably naive questions? I believe the TT app is similar to most others of its type.

I have passwords to more organisations than I can count, but let's choose one randomly...... Microsoft.

If I want to change my MS password I need to log onto MS and go through its unique password change process. This process is multiplied by the number of organisations I deal with.

How does a password manager deal with all that if I choose to use it's random password generator?

Let's assume this question gets resolved and move on..... If I choose at some later date not to continue using the app and either resort to my current method or an alternative app am I left with umpteen obscure passwords that this app has created?
    Additionally, how do these apps cope with only selected characters asked for on a password screen.

Hope someone can answer this. Cheers
Page 1
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 20th Oct 19, 5:12 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    mksysb
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:12 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:12 PM
    Password managers only store passwords or generate random passwords, they can't change passwords for you.
    Make sure you use a password manager that allows export and import of passwords, so if you move to another app you can export them, form the old and import into the new.
    • viv0147
    • By viv0147 21st Oct 19, 12:09 AM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 9,794 Thanks
    viv0147
    • 21st Oct 19, 12:09 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 12:09 AM
    I recommend 1password
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
    • mluton
    • By mluton 21st Oct 19, 12:23 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    mluton
    • 21st Oct 19, 12:23 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 12:23 AM
    KeePass is Free & Opensource and works well.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 21st Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    I use both 1Password on my iPhone and Keepass on my desktop/laptop.
    1Password will work via a cloud connection, although I just use it on my phone. It has a nice feature of showing passwords in colour to differentiate between l and 1, etc. (Numbers are blue, letters grey).

Keepass runs without needing installation, so you can carry it on a USB stick, although as with any stand-alone storage, backup and version control can be an issue.

Iíve not heard of TalkTalk password manager, hardly a surprise as I donít use T/T... it looks like itís £2 per month and written by F-Secure.
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/isp-talktalk-uk-launches-new-password-protection-app.html
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 21st Oct 19, 10:43 AM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:43 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:43 AM
    I personally use Lastpass, I'd seriously be lost without it.

As regards matching to requirements of a particular site you can specify to use any combination of upper case, lower case, numbers or special characters and has other options such as 'easy to say' which avoids numbers & special characters, 'easy to read' which avoids the ambiguous characters such a 0 & O or 'use all characters' which is how it sounds. Obviously minimum characters generated is supported all the way up to 99 character passwords.

I've no doubt all of the password mangers have similar BTW.
    • abibee
    • By abibee 22nd Oct 19, 4:40 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    abibee
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:40 AM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:40 AM
    I suggest going with LastPass, it's the best known and it's trustworthy, and free for personal use. You can change a password for a site, and LastPass will update that in it's stored passwords. You can export all passwords and notes to a file.
    • tgon
    • By tgon 22nd Oct 19, 1:14 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    tgon
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:14 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:14 PM
    +1 LastPass with subscription to use across other devices. It also has a function in its security check to automatically change passwords for some sites (e.g. Amazon, etc) if you instruct it so.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 22nd Oct 19, 2:27 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:27 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:27 PM
    +1 LastPass with subscription to use across other devices. It also has a function in its security check to automatically change passwords for some sites (e.g. Amazon, etc) if you instruct it so.
    Originally posted by tgon
    I use it on 4 PC/laptops and my phone and don't have a subscription...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • le_veilleur
    • By le_veilleur 22nd Oct 19, 3:59 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    le_veilleur
    I have used 1password for a while and tried a few others. Yet it is still my favourite, have not found a better one
    • abibee
    • By abibee 23rd Oct 19, 2:24 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    abibee
    I use it on 4 PC/laptops and my phone and don't have a subscription...
    Originally posted by RumRat
    They made the free version available for multiple devices a year or more ago, I'm not sure there's much point in having the paid version unless you're an organisation, or feeling charitable.
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 23rd Oct 19, 9:17 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    mksysb
    I use pass on linux. Stores the passwords as encrypted files on your hard drive for more security. You can synchronise it with other machines using git. There are also versions for Android and Windows.

https://www.passwordstore.org/
    https://github.com/android-password-store/Android-Password-Store
    https://github.com/geluk/pass-winmenu
    • victor2
    • By victor2 23rd Oct 19, 9:40 AM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    victor2
    I use the free version of Dashlane. There are clearly many to choose from.
    Personally I wouldn't use one tied to my provider - at least not without checking what would happen if I left that provider.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 23rd Oct 19, 10:32 AM
    • 851 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    stragglebod
    Meanwhile, the only reply that answers both of the questions actually asked by the OP is the very first one
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

4,396Users online

Martin's Twitter