Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mikey17
    • By Mikey17 20th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    • 124Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Mikey17
    Printer ink minefield
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    Printer ink minefield 20th Oct 19 at 2:08 PM
    It's always been a massive annoyance to me the cost of buying ink cartridges. It cannot be that 3ml of ink can cost 10 +.
    Over recent years I've used quite a few online suppliers of compatible inks with varying results. Cartridges rejected, bad printing results, and dubious ink levels. Because some of these cartridges are not genuine the ink levels will not show. I've had XL ones run out very soon.
    I am utterly determined not to give HP any of my money or install any ' updates ' on my printer.
    My last black ink was purchased from Tesco ( there brand ) , a lot of printing was done and I was amazed the long time this standard size cartridge lasted .
    Today I bought a Wilko brand twin pack ( black/colour ) of HP 301 inks for 17 , upon insertion a message said " re manufactured HP cartridges, the inks work perfectly and the ink levels show full to the brim. They contain 6 ml black and 7.5 ml tri-colour.
    Wilko also sell HP brand twin pack for 27 and they only contain 3 ml.
    So the Wilko brand are 10 cheaper with double the amount of ink.

What I don't understand is on Tesco and Wilko reviews some people state these cartridges didn't work
    My conclusion is HP reps are writing these negative comments to put people off.
    Well done Wilko's
    Last edited by Mikey17; 20-10-2019 at 2:14 PM.
Page 1
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 20th Oct 19, 2:15 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:15 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:15 PM
    My main gripe with third party inks is that the blacks don't seem to be very black, more of a dark grey. I've tried different manufacturers and all the blacks look washed out.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 20th Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 2,362 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    Well you main problem is going to be buying cheap horrible printers.

Always get a decent printyer with at least 5 cartridges.

On my canon I can get repalcements off amazon for under a quid for each of them. Tri-colour carts are an affront to the the environment.

Also remember to print a page every couple of weeks to keep things from drying up. (no I do not want a laser, ymmv).
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 21st Oct 19, 10:26 AM
    • 5,540 Posts
    • 5,658 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:26 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:26 AM
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned HP's Instant Ink scheme.

I only use my printer very sporadically, and having bought it on a deal from Amazon (a Deskjet 2600) for the amazing price of 15, I first got the first three months of ink for free, and now I pay the grand total of 1.99 a month via my credit card.

For this I get to print up to 20 sheets of A4 a month. New ink cartridges are sent to me before they are needed, so unlike before I never run out of ink.

All this for less than 25 a year! I really don't think it can be beaten.

There are other scheme for those who need to print more.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • Mikey17
    • By Mikey17 21st Oct 19, 1:57 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Mikey17
    • 21st Oct 19, 1:57 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 1:57 PM
    My main gripe with third party inks is that the blacks don't seem to be very black, more of a dark grey. I've tried different manufacturers and all the blacks look washed out.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    I see, I suppose it depends what you are printing, ours is mainly word docs, so not so much of a problem

Always get a decent printyer with at least 5 cartridges.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    I wish I had got a single colour type printer instead of the tri-colour

Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    We have a amateur writer in the family, who can print literally dozens of sheets . So that might work out a bit expensive,, very convenient though
    • tgon
    • By tgon 22nd Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    tgon
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    I am lazy and always buy original ink specified by my printer.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 22nd Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    We have a amateur writer in the family, who can print literally dozens of sheets . So that might work out a bit expensive,, very convenient though
    Originally posted by Mikey17
    I have both a HP colour inkjet and a Samsung mono laser. The laser was quite cheap (circa 50) and costs very little per page with 3rd party toner/drum units, it churns out pages like they are going out of fashion and doesn't "dry up".

99% of the time we use the laser, the ink in the HP has dried up and I'm reluctant to buy any more cartridges. The Samsung (and Brother) mono laser printers just "work", and for basic document printing are hard to beat for a home user.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 22nd Oct 19, 2:22 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:22 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:22 PM
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    I have a Brother printer and I found the same as you - when I choose 'black and white' printing the blacks appear grey.

Then I read the online manual, where it says that if you choose 'black and white' and print single sided, it uses only the black cartridge ink but if you print double sided, it uses a combination of colours to produce black - which produces the dark grey result.

How weird is that?
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 22nd Oct 19, 2:31 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:31 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:31 PM

I only use my printer very sporadically, and having bought it on a deal from Amazon (a Deskjet 2600) for the amazing price of 15, I first got the first three months of ink for free, and now I pay the grand total of 1.99 a month via my credit card.

For this I get to print up to 20 sheets of A4 a month. New ink cartridges are sent to me before they are needed, so unlike before I never run out of ink.

Yeah, I use HP Instant Ink too. I don't do loads of prinitng (or if I do need to I do at work!) but it's handy to have at home for occasional use. I think my plan is 2.99/month for 100 pages and you can roll some of them over if not used. As you say, they send new ink as and when needed and an envelope to freepost the old ones back for recycling.

I have no real idea if it is "cheaper" or "cheapest" but 3 a month is fine by me - don't have to worry about running out, buying the right cartridges etc
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 23rd Oct 19, 1:22 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    tempus_fugit

20 sheets? I pay 1.99 as well but I get 50 sheets a month plus a maximum carry-over of 50 sheets, so a possible 100 sheets in some months. It's good value IMO as I got the cartridges last year and the shop bought ones would have run out by now and cost me 40-50 to replace, so it's another vote for Instant Ink from me.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • abibee
    • By abibee 23rd Oct 19, 2:16 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    abibee
    As mentioned in a reply above, if you don't need colour prints, then a laser printer is the way to go. For a little more than a cheap inkjet (around 50) you can get one of these. Printing is so fast, and no problems of replacing ink frequently, or ink drying up if it's used infrequently. They're like a hidden secret, most people buy an inkjet without thinking, ruling out anything else as costing a fortune, but cheap laser printers are available now.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 23rd Oct 19, 8:55 AM
    • 5,540 Posts
    • 5,658 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    20 sheets? I pay 1.99 as well but I get 50 sheets a month plus a maximum carry-over of 50 sheets, so a possible 100 sheets in some months. It's good value IMO as I got the cartridges last year and the shop bought ones would have run out by now and cost me 40-50 to replace, so it's another vote for Instant Ink from me.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    My error! You are correct, it is 50 sheets per month. Way more than I think I'll ever need. But it's good to know that for 1.99pm, my printer is 'ever ready' with enough ink on hand whenever it is needed without the hassle of searching Ebay, etc, for reasonable ink supplies.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 23rd Oct 19, 8:59 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    My error! You are correct, it is 50 sheets per month. Way more than I think I'll ever need. But it's good to know that for 1.99pm, my printer is 'ever ready' with enough ink on hand whenever it is needed without the hassle of searching Ebay, etc, for reasonable ink supplies.
    Yeah this is it for me too. As I said, it may not be pound for pound the cheapest option but it saves the hassle of going to buy them or order them and having that "lumpy" 50 shellout which is always likely to come at the "wrong" time.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 31st Oct 19, 1:09 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I never buy original cartridges. I buy refilled cartridges on ebay for between 10% and 30% of the originals. I also sometimes get them refilled at a local refill shop for about 50% of the originals. 1 have been doing this for about 20 years and must have saved 1000's.

Over the years I have had problems with about 5% of the cartridges and only once had a problem that could not be resolved fairly quickly.

I find one of the biggest problem with refills is that their ink level indicators rarely work. So you have to time your order carefully so that you pretty much always have a spare cartridge On the few occasions, I have run out of ink without having a spare, I have bought remanufactured cartridges from my local Tescos. They are about half the price of originals and I have never had a problem with them.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 31-10-2019 at 1:12 PM.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 31st Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    I never buy original cartridges. I buy refilled cartridges on ebay for between 10% and 30% of the originals. I also sometimes get them refilled at a local refill shop for about 50% of the originals. 1 have been doing this for about 20 years and must have saved 1000's.

Over the years I have had problems with about 5% of the cartridges and only once had a problem that could not be resolved fairly quickly.

I find one of the biggest problem with refills is that their ink level indicators rarely work. So you have to order enough that you pretty much have a spare. On the few occasions, I have run out of ink without having a spare, I have bought remanufactured cartridges from my local Tescos. They are about half the price of originals and I have never had a problem with them.
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    Brought back so many bad memoriries
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 31st Oct 19, 1:26 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    1 have been doing this for about 20 years and must have saved 1000's.
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    HP ink is 1.99 per month (50 pages per month) = 480 for 20 years. the refill companies must have been paying you 1000's to take their products off their hands��:-)

Once set up all you have to do is pick the cartridge up off your door mat, store until needed & install
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 31st Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 13,616 Posts
    • 16,689 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The four HP Instant Ink packages (for retail customers) are:-

Free - 15 Pages/month

1.99 - 50 Pages/month

3.49 - 100 Pages/month

7.99 - 300 Pages/month

I use HP Instant Ink and I find it works very well. I think it's probably cheaper than buying individual cartridges as long as you estimate your usage reasonably well (although the roll-over allowance helps with that).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 31-10-2019 at 1:45 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • missile
    • By missile 31st Oct 19, 2:13 PM
    • 10,278 Posts
    • 5,299 Thanks
    missile
    Yeah, I use HP Instant Ink too. I don't do loads of prinitng (or if I do need to I do at work!) but it's handy to have at home for occasional use. I think my plan is 2.99/month for 100 pages and you can roll some of them over if not used. As you say, they send new ink as and when needed and an envelope to freepost the old ones back for recycling.

I have no real idea if it is "cheaper" or "cheapest" but 3 a month is fine by me - don't have to worry about running out, buying the right cartridges etc
    Originally posted by stripeyfox
    Me too.

Previously I used refilled cartridges and found most produce poor quality printing.
    Last edited by missile; 31-10-2019 at 2:17 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 31st Oct 19, 2:28 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    justaquestion

25 a year for occasional printing, I wouldn't even want to pay that (Oh I know I'm a skinflint, but don't mind saying that since this is a money saving site)

I have a few Epson printers one a old one sx 200 and get about 12 cartridges for 5.99 off ebay, the other one an xp 322 similar deal off ebay.

So far seem to print ok.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 31st Oct 19, 3:45 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Mistral001
    HP ink is 1.99 per month (50 pages per month) = 480 for 20 years. the refill companies must have been paying you 1000's to take their products off their hands��:-)

Once set up all you have to do is pick the cartridge up off your door mat, store until needed & install
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Exactly the same as getting refilled cartridges off ebay. You just have to lift them off your door mat and install. You do not even have to send the old ones back if you do not want to. A few clicks on ebay is all that is required to order them. Takes only a couple of minutes.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 31-10-2019 at 3:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,952Users online

Martin's Twitter