Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hilly1990
    • By Hilly1990 20th Oct 19, 2:03 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Hilly1990
    First Time Buyer - Equity Loan
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:03 PM
    First Time Buyer - Equity Loan 20th Oct 19 at 2:03 PM
    Hi Guys

Just a quick question - hopefully it makes sense!

Looking at the Equity Loan. For example, looking at a 200k property, the government pays the 20%, meaning I be needing a mortgage of 150k if I pay a 5% deposit of 10k.
    When looking at mortgage comparison sites, should I be putting in that I am looking to borrow the whole 200k or should it be 150k, this is just so I can get a rough estimate of the monthly mortgage. Because if I put its a 200k property and that I only require a 150k I obviously get much better rates, just wondering if this was correct or not.
Page 1
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 20th Oct 19, 2:13 PM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:13 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:13 PM
    Yes on help to buy the equity loan is part of your deposit so you have access to 25% deposit rates.

You need to make sure you also pass the government help to buy calculator
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 20th Oct 19, 5:43 PM
    • 11,344 Posts
    • 4,575 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:43 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:43 PM
    Don’t waste your time with comparison sites.

You need to use a Mortgage Broker for a Help to Buy case or you will end up in a mess.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Hilly1990
    • By Hilly1990 20th Oct 19, 6:42 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Hilly1990
    • 20th Oct 19, 6:42 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 6:42 PM
    Yea I will be doing - wouldn't trust myself sorting it! Just wanted to get a rough estimate of a morgage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,026Posts Today

7,768Users online

Martin's Twitter