where to get a flat tyre repaired? is it worth repairing or should I just replace it?

user1168934
user1168934 Posts: 564 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 20 October 2019 at 10:57AM in Motoring
I noticed I had a flat tyre this morning. I have put the spare one on. I have never had a flat tyre before so not sure how to get it repaired as in where to go?
I also don't know how much the repair will cost. If it costs something like £25 or over then may be I should just get a new tyre which I reckon will be around £60. Any idea how much it will cost to repair? Is it worth repairing in your opinion.

FYI - I have had this car for about two years so tyres are at least two years old.

any ideas folks?

P.S. I do have a mechanic workshop where I go to for pretty much every problem I have had in the past but while I was changing the tyre I noticed it only had three bolts on and two were missing :mad: Given that I had an MOT with them last month I thought this is something they should have noticed. So really not happy with them right now - will try to find another one nearby.
Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Any tyre fitting place should be able to repair a tyre if it is possible to do that. They will also be able to tell you roughly how much it costs before doing any work. Contact some local tyre fitters and ask.
  • wongataa wrote: »
    Any tyre fitting place should be able to repair a tyre if it is possible to do that. They will also be able to tell you roughly how much it costs before doing any work. Contact some local tyre fitters and ask.

Being a sunday pretty much all local garages are closed. The only one I can see open are a Kwik Fit and Nation Autocenter. I am about to give them a call to have an idea but I have always found these to be on the expensive side.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Being a sunday pretty much all local garages are closed. The only one I can see open are a Kwik Fit and Nation Autocenter. I am about to give them a call to have an idea but I have always found these to be on the expensive side.

Just wait until tomorrow!
    Depending on the nature of the puncture it maybe £10-£15, however as you suspect the tyre may need replacing, I guess taking it to KF , you will get the 'free' brake and car health check where they are bound to conclude that all is fine and no upselling is required.
  • DUTR wrote: »
    Just wait until tomorrow!
    Depending on the nature of the puncture it maybe £10-£15, however as you suspect the tyre may need replacing, I guess taking it to KF , you will get the 'free' brake and car health check where they are bound to conclude that all is fine and no upselling is required.

Yes after the initial panic worn off I decided to wait until tomorrow. I will call a few garages near work and see if it is cheap enough to get it repaired. I have also checked online and a replacement at ASDA tyres would cost £60 fitting inclusive. Thanks guys.

By the way, is there any point calling my normal garage to point out that they (probably) forgot to put two nuts in the wheel? I mean there is no way I can prove it but they are the last people who touched them last month.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    I have had three punctures repaired free of charge by Kwik-Fit over the years, at three separate branches.
  • By the way, is there any point calling my normal garage to point out that they (probably) forgot to put two nuts in the wheel? I mean there is no way I can prove it but they are the last people who touched them last month.

Garages do not take wheels off when MOTing a car.

You could call them and ask if they noticed they were missing? Have you now replaced them?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    Garages do not take wheels off when MOTing a car.
    True, but if they were indeed missing at the time this should have been marked as a dangerous fault.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    True, but if they were indeed missing at the time this should have been marked as a dangerous fault.

Not if the op's car has wheel trims on in that case there is no way to tell how many wheels nuts are on and no mot tester is going to remove the trim as they dont have to (only if the trims are fittted alloys are a diffrent matter)

Plus the op has no way on proving that the garage are the ones responsible for the missing nuts his word vs theirs
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • It was quite obvious that the nuts were missing. The nuts were not covered by anything. Also, I was under the impression that a missing wheel nut results in an MOT failure. If they don't take the wheels off then how do they check the condition of the brakes?

Like I have said I have no way of proving that it's their fault but the fact that they did not notice it (or forgot to put it back on) does shake my trust in their ability to perform an MOT - especially when each time they make a point of putting as many advisories as they can on the MOT (a lot more than a normal garage would) stating that they are more vigilant than the other garages and it is something they have to do - may be I am just venting but I am really p***ed with them.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    So, umm, if they were so apparent, how come you didn't notice them within a few days while doing your regular tread and pressure checks...?

As for the MOT advisories, why would you have a problem with them pointing out faults on the car that you should consider repairing before they get bad enough to be a fail or leave you stranded...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure