Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 19th Oct 19, 11:12 PM
    • 803Posts
    • 329Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Santander Standing Order setup form doesn't allow hyphens in reference field
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:12 PM
    Santander Standing Order setup form doesn't allow hyphens in reference field 19th Oct 19 at 11:12 PM
    I just tried to set up a Standing Order from my Santander Current Account into a newly-opened Virgin Money Regular Saver account, but was thwarted because the new Standing Order setup form on the Santander web site will not allow a hyphen character in the Payment Reference field, which Virgin Money Regular Saver accounts require.

The same Santander account already has fully-operational Standing Orders to my previous Virgin accounts, complete with hyphens in the reference, so the problem is just that the new setup form won't allow hyphens to be entered.

Is there any way around this, or am I going to have to call them up on monday to set up the new SO?
Page 1
    • creditavenger
    • By creditavenger 19th Oct 19, 11:18 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    creditavenger
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:18 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:18 PM
    I set mine up with a space instead of the hyphen and it works fine.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 19th Oct 19, 11:34 PM
    • 6,909 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:34 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:34 PM
    Why do you need a reference to be hyphenated specifically?

Surely just using the correct account number and sort-code is enough?
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 19th Oct 19, 11:48 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:48 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:48 PM
    Why do you need a reference to be hyphenated specifically?

Surely just using the correct account number and sort-code is enough?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Payments are all sent to Virgin Money's account number and sort code, and the Reference field is used to identify the Virgin account to which the money is destined. That is (or at least used to be) a very common model with savings accounts. The Reference field has to be correct, or the money won't reach your account, and it just happens that Virgin's account numbers include a hyphen.

It's similar to paying, say, a gas bill or a credit card - you send the payment to a standard account number and sort code for that organisation, and the reference field is used to identify your individual account.
    Last edited by Fingerbobs; 19-10-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 20th Oct 19, 2:05 AM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 1,265 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:05 AM
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:05 AM
    I just tried to set up a Standing Order from my Santander Current Account into a newly-opened Virgin Money Regular Saver account, but was thwarted because the new Standing Order setup form on the Santander web site will not allow a hyphen character in the Payment Reference field, which Virgin Money Regular Saver accounts require.

The same Santander account already has fully-operational Standing Orders to my previous Virgin accounts, complete with hyphens in the reference, so the problem is just that the new setup form won't allow hyphens to be entered.

Is there any way around this, or am I going to have to call them up on monday to set up the new SO?
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    I've never been able to put a hyphen in the Santander ref - VM told me to use a space instead. It has worked for all my 6 or so VM RSs.
    • IvanOpinion
    • By IvanOpinion 20th Oct 19, 6:47 AM
    • 20,036 Posts
    • 19,868 Thanks
    IvanOpinion
    • 20th Oct 19, 6:47 AM
    • 20th Oct 19, 6:47 AM
    I am with Santander and had a similar problem with another bank and they just told me to drop the hyphen. Instead of 123-45678, just enter 12345678. It works fine.
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 20th Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 20th Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    • 20th Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    I dare say in the way the banking system is set up the hypens, slashes, full stops or whatever else are all arbitrary anyway. It's all about the numbers. Much like your sort code isn't physically 99-99-99, its just presented that way to you on your card and/or statement because a) it looks nicer and b) you can reel it off in three chunks of two.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 20th Oct 19, 8:38 AM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 20th Oct 19, 8:38 AM
    • 20th Oct 19, 8:38 AM
    NW only has room for 6 digits, so you cant put hyphens or spaces in anyway.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 20th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 20th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    Thanks for the replies - sounds like the hyphen can be replaced with a space, but I managed to set up the SO including the hyphen using the Santander mobile app :-)
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 21st Oct 19, 10:04 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    Ergates

Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    Noting you've solved this using the mobile app: But if this or a similar issue occurs again - you could speak to the bank in branch or over the phone to get them to set up the SO. It sounds like this is a restriction with their internet banking site, rather than a limitation on the system, and the staff members may will have a different interface that doesn't have the same restrictions.
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 21st Oct 19, 4:21 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    pafpcg
    Noting you've solved this using the mobile app: But if this or a similar issue occurs again - you could speak to the bank in branch or over the phone to get them to set up the SO. It sounds like this is a restriction with their internet banking site, rather than a limitation on the system, and the staff members may will have a different interface that doesn't have the same restrictions.
    Originally posted by Ergates
    I've noted the introduction of a new process for setting-up standing orders when logged-in to my Santander personal account. However, when logged-in to my Santander business account, which allows access to my personal accounts, the old process is still in place (with, I assume, the ability to enter hyphens into the Reference field), so I'd expect the Santander backend system to still have the same facilities.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 22nd Oct 19, 1:49 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    I've been doing some Googling over my lunch today (I was bored), and found out that ISO8583 permits special characters within the Reference field, so it's definitely not a limitation with the payments systems, but it is considered best practice to avoid special characters in the reference.

So Virgin aren't following best practice, but I think Santander should accept any ISO8583-compliant strings. I don't see why it should be up to the payee to come up with a reference number format that adheres to payment industry standards but works around limitations with Santander's web front-end.
    Last edited by Fingerbobs; 22-10-2019 at 1:52 PM.
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 30th Oct 19, 9:17 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Space Captain
    Send a payment of 1p
    If it gets there (check the next day) then you are fine for future payments
    • bsms1147
    • By bsms1147 30th Oct 19, 9:20 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 3,660 Thanks
    bsms1147
    Just set up a SO on Santander’s new system (not business banking) and it now accepts hyphens.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 30th Oct 19, 12:22 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    Ergates
    Just set up a SO on Santanderís new system (not business banking) and it now accepts hyphens.
    Originally posted by bsms1147
    A victory for common sense.
    • alacarte
    • By alacarte 30th Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    alacarte
    This is Santander we're talking about... just saying...

I closed my accounts there because they tried to charge me £25.00 to have a counter-signed cheque written and £10.00 to send me a cheque book.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,575Posts Today

9,818Users online

Martin's Twitter