Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robm1955
    • By Robm1955 19th Oct 19, 4:06 PM
    • 413Posts
    • 114Thanks
    Robm1955
    PC cleanup
    • 19th Oct 19, 4:06 PM
    PC cleanup 19th Oct 19 at 4:06 PM
    I noticed I'm loosing space on my pc, from programs, documents etc., so I thought I would have a cleanout. Going through installed programs, I've discovered, using DoYourData Uninstaller, I have a number of versions of Microsoft Visual C++ installed. The dates range from 2008, to 2017. Without sounding stupid, is it safe to delete all but the latest one? Just noticed, some say x86 Redistributable, some x64 Redistributable, and others just Redistributable.
    Last edited by Robm1955; 19-10-2019 at 4:09 PM.
Page 2
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 21st Oct 19, 9:43 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 2,100 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Technically every installation of Windows known to man has partitions of some sort, even the installation of Windows 10 creates about four without telling you and the new 1903 I think it is creates an even bigger one on a fresh installation.

Back in the days of Windows 95 when hard drive sizes began to creep over 2Gb in size, the original version of Windows 95 couldn't use the full size in one go, and so if you were lucky enough to have such a massive capacity drive you'd have had to split it into 2Gb chunks to be able to use all the space (this wasn't a Windows 95 "issue" as such, it was a file system issue). To cut a long story short Windows 95 OSR2 ("Windows 95 Service Pack 2" if you like) as it was called introduced a new file system that solved this issue.
    Last edited by Neil Jones; 21-10-2019 at 9:45 PM.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 21st Oct 19, 10:48 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Thanks. I realise manufacturers and windows uses hidden partitions for recovery I was thinking more of the days of fdisk and people partitioning drives for storing different types of media
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter