Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EconomicsGirl
    • By EconomicsGirl 18th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    • 312Posts
    • 202Thanks
    EconomicsGirl
    Current Account not mobile dependent
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    Current Account not mobile dependent 18th Oct 19 at 9:29 PM
    Does anyone know of a UK current account that you don't need a mobile for?

We live rurally and cannot get mobile reception inside. Husband has a mobile and I don't. Since our bank has required a mobile for every transaction now have to spend several hours each week trying to pay for things , phoning bank and waiting for someone to answer. Am cut off from internet banking every other time. I've tried complaining, they said lots of people are complaining and having same problems but its now the law.

Even worse when we are abroad, every transaction gets declined even though we tell them. Both always been in credit.

I can use a cash machine but that's about it. Paypal gets round it but so many other issues when places don't take.

Anyone know a bank using landlines.
Page 1
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Oct 19, 9:36 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:36 PM
    Most do not require a mobile, although the swiftest way is often a mobile, and WiFi calling can overcome the problem of bad mobile reception. WiFi calling is offered by most of the big networks.

If you insist on not using a mobile, you can use the likes of Lloyds or Halifax. There's a thread on here somewhere which discusses the various offers and issues. If I have time to locate it, I will post a link, or may be someone else will.

BTW, it's nonsense that it's the law that you need to have a mobile for online
    banking.

EDIT: this is the thread I mentioned above: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6021774

Also, Lloyds currently pay you £125 if you switch to them.
    Last edited by colsten; 18-10-2019 at 9:46 PM.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 18th Oct 19, 9:36 PM
    • 1,873 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    18cc
    First Direct are primarily a telephone banking bank - may be worth considering. Authorisations are done via a keypad thingy
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 18th Oct 19, 9:36 PM
    • 7,115 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    sheramber
    Tesco will use landline
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:40 PM

Even worse when we are abroad, every transaction gets declined even though we tell them. ............

Originally posted by EconomicsGirl
    How would a landline be of use when you are abroad?
    • EconomicsGirl
    • By EconomicsGirl 18th Oct 19, 9:46 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    EconomicsGirl
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:46 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:46 PM
    Thanks very much.

Its everyday in the UK as well as abroad. The UK is biggest issue for now as not going abroad until next summer.

I have one account with Halifax already so that would work and be easy to set up, thanks.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 19th Oct 19, 9:05 PM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 3,297 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    • 19th Oct 19, 9:05 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 9:05 PM
    Yorkshire Bank (Clydesdale) will issue a token for authorisation if you insist that the other methods they offer will not work for you.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th Oct 19, 9:19 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 19th Oct 19, 9:19 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 9:19 PM
    Which bank is it that you use and requires a mobile for every transaction. Please tell us.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    • 35,243 Posts
    • 22,247 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    Ive used Halifax Clarity, Monzo and Starling and none rang me to query the transactions. No need to tell Halifax your going away.
    • tallmansix
    • By tallmansix 19th Oct 19, 11:07 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    tallmansix
    Many banks will let you use a landline for OTP codes instead of a mobile phone, Nat West for example.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    2019 Discounts, coupons and cashback = £1,443.52
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Oct 19, 11:18 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,215 Thanks
    worried jim
    Many banks will let you use a landline for OTP codes instead of a mobile phone, Nat West for example.
    Originally posted by tallmansix
    Lloyds group too.
    • EconomicsGirl
    • By EconomicsGirl 20th Oct 19, 10:59 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    EconomicsGirl
    It's NatWest though different staff there say different things but I have to phone up to get every transaction approved and it cuts off my online banking all the time. Online banking I can get back with the card reader and card. I've spent hours on the phone to them but atm cannot get a solution. One even said to change banks. I was going to do that but its links to another account which is good so will just set up another current account elsewhere. Strangely a few staff say I should get an e-mail option but I don't - it's only mobile but several staff have said that's correct, it's the only option and last one said they have lots of complaints about it. One just told me to buy a mobile but don't want the expense and husband's mobile never works in house and almost all his transactions fail too. His always say gone though but company buying for says failed so we have a lot of having to phone to find out if transaction gone through twice (happened once) or not at all (more usual).

I've opened one with Nationwide but no idea if they need mobiles.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 20th Oct 19, 12:48 PM
    • 11,650 Posts
    • 14,421 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Does anyone know of a UK current account that you don't need a mobile for?

We live rurally and cannot get mobile reception inside. Husband has a mobile and I don't. Since our bank has required a mobile for every transaction now have to spend several hours each week trying to pay for things , phoning bank and waiting for someone to answer. Am cut off from internet banking every other time. I've tried complaining, they said lots of people are complaining and having same problems but its now the law.

Even worse when we are abroad, every transaction gets declined even though we tell them. Both always been in credit.

I can use a cash machine but that's about it. Paypal gets round it but so many other issues when places don't take.

It's NatWest
    They claim to support landlines, so worth pushing them to comply with what they publish:

https://supportcentre.natwest.com/Nonsearch/913268482/What-is-a-One-Time-Passcode.htm
    You can select whether you wish this passcode to be sent to your mobile, email address or via a voice message to your landline
    https://personal.natwest.com/personal/fraud-and-security/sca.html
    If you’re in an area with poor phone coverage there will be other options available to receive an OTP
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 20th Oct 19, 1:09 PM
    • 6,311 Posts
    • 5,745 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Barclays do not ask me for authorisation on any spend, whether in store, online, or abroad.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 21st Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Co-Op. Authorise via email.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

8,264Users online

Martin's Twitter