Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aj9648
    • By aj9648 18th Oct 19, 5:23 PM
    • 1,273Posts
    • 111Thanks
    aj9648
    Leak from above flat caused damage to flat
    • 18th Oct 19, 5:23 PM
    Leak from above flat caused damage to flat 18th Oct 19 at 5:23 PM
    Hi

Not sure if this is right place....

I own a flat which I rent out and a few months ago (Dec 2018) there was a leak from above flat which caused a huge problem for my tenant - massive hole in the ceiling and water pouring through.

Managed to clean things up and after many weeks of asking the agent who manages upstairs to sort out I stepped in and sorted it out and got someone to fix the hole and paint etc. Cost me nearly 400.

Over the last few months I have been trying to get the above landlord to compensate me - the problem has been that the owner lets through an agent so the communication is slow.

Now the agent is saying claim through insurance and claim it via his insurance company......complication is that tenant has not taken out home insurance - urghhhhhh

Where do I go now ? Small Claims court?
Page 1
    • PrivateClients
    • By PrivateClients 18th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    PrivateClients
    • 18th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    Why do you think the flat above should compensate you?

On what legal grounds do you imagine you would bring an action in the small claims court?
    Lloyds broker working in Private Clients and Property Owners.

Looking to help and be helped.
    • aj9648
    • By aj9648 18th Oct 19, 8:20 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    aj9648
    • 18th Oct 19, 8:20 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 8:20 PM
    Because the leak came from their flat, travelled down through my ceiling and into my flat.....
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 18th Oct 19, 8:41 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    • 18th Oct 19, 8:41 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 8:41 PM
    You’d have to prove the owner of the flat above was negligent. Are you not able to claim off the buildings insurance for the whole block?
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 18th Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 18th Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    That's literally why you have insurance, to deal with an incident like this.

If I was the landlord of the flat above I would compensate you for any insurance excess paid as a goodwill gesture, but that would be it.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 18th Oct 19, 9:06 PM
    • 3,483 Posts
    • 3,102 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:06 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:06 PM
    Because the leak came from their flat, travelled down through my ceiling and into my flat.....
    Originally posted by aj9648
    That's not sufficient reason for the owner of the flat above (or his insurer, whose job is to protect him, not to protect you) to be liable for the damage. To hold him liable you would generally have to prove that he was negligent, which means that he failed to take the level of care that would be expected of a reasonable person. If a reasonable person would not have realised that there was a risk of leakage until it happened, for example because there were no outward signs that the pipes were in poor condition, then it goes down as just one of those things - not your fault, but not his fault either. In that situation everybody has to either pay for their own damage, or claim on their own insurance.

So what do you think a reasonable person would have done that the landlord upstairs failed to do?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 18th Oct 19, 11:42 PM
    • 8,658 Posts
    • 9,005 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 18th Oct 19, 11:42 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 11:42 PM
    Now the agent is saying claim through insurance and claim it via his insurance company......complication is that tenant has not taken out home insurance - urghhhhhh
    Originally posted by aj9648
    What caused the leak?
    • For example, if the upstairs tenant left a running bath unattended and it overflowed, the upstairs tenant was probably negligent. And you can claim damages from the tenant.
    • But, for example, if a pipe failed unexpectedly, nobody was negligent. So there is nobody to claim damages from.

However, freeholders are usually responsible for buildings insurance for a block of flats.

And buildings insurance often covers damage to the building (like holes in a ceiling) caused by escape of water.

So you probably could have claimed on the freeholders buildings insurance. But I suspect the insurers would have wanted to see the damage before it was fixed - so it's probably too late now.

Also, if you'd claimed on the freeholder's buildings insurance, you'd have had to pay the excess. And the premium would probably go up, and you'd pay a share of that. So it may not have been economic for a 400 repair.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,932Posts Today

9,346Users online

Martin's Twitter