Intrusive questions

Hi everyone, this may seem a trivial issue, but I need advice about an email I've received from my car insurance provider.

I've changed cars 4 times in the last year for various reasons (terminal mechanical problems mostly but in one case for personal reasons to do with my marriage). My insurance company has asked me to provide detailed reasons for changing my cars, and to tell them if I intend to keep my current car.

I have always been totally honest & prompt with changing my details and there have been no issues. They have made money on each change.

Do I have to provide this information? I find it intrusive and irrelevant but I obviously don't want to not provide information that is required by law. I also do not know how long I will be keeping my current car-it's a £300 old banger and could very conceivably expire next week🙂.

Thank you.

Comments

• No you don't have to answer their questions but they also don't have to insure you.

Depends how much you want to be without insurance I suppose.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just a guess, but they probably want to make sure you’re not operating as a motor trader using a personal policy.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bouncydog1 wrote: »
    Just a guess, but they probably want to make sure you’re not operating as a motor trader using a personal policy.

Exactly this I worked for a insurance company before I went on maternity leave we worked with brokers and if there was more than 3 change of vehicles we would query for exactly that reason

Easier if you have nothing to hide to just answer as they have asked having a cancelled policy is going to cause you more hassle than this simple request
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pjkd46 wrote: »
    Do I have to provide this information? I find it intrusive and irrelevant....
    I'd say you run the risk of them cancelling the insurance if you don't answer the questions. They obviously think your ownership pattern a bit strange.

They'll be concerned. Possibly that you're a dealer. Or that you're having accidents and writing the cars off without telling them. Or buying unroadworthy cars that shouldn't be on the road.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    How is it intrusive? They are asking a couple of questions that are not exactly personal.

It is not a case of them making money when you change vehicle, it is a case of is your insurance valid and are you using the policy you have for what it is intended (presumably personal use).

Clearly it is not normal for someone to change their car 4 times in the space of a year so there is a concern as someone else has mentioned that you might be buying cars to sell.

But ultimately, if you do not answer the questions, there is a possibility you will look guilty and they will cancel your policy.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    OP look at it from the other side, if a customer refuses to answer what their order is, The waiter/business will decline to serve them.

Be honest and answer their questions, or find another insurer
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • pjkd46 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this may seem a trivial issue, but I need advice about an email I've received from my car insurance provider.

I've changed cars 4 times in the last year for various reasons (terminal mechanical problems mostly but in one case for personal reasons to do with my marriage). My insurance company has asked me to provide detailed reasons for changing my cars, and to tell them if I intend to keep my current car.

I have always been totally honest & prompt with changing my details and there have been no issues. They have made money on each change.

Do I have to provide this information? I find it intrusive and irrelevant but I obviously don't want to not provide information that is required by law. I also do not know how long I will be keeping my current car-it's a £300 old banger and could very conceivably expire next week🙂.

Thank you.

It is not a legal requirement that you provide this information. Therefore, please feel free not to provide this to them.

Please be prepared for them to possibly cancel your motor insurance, which will likely need to be declared for every insurance that you purchase for the rest of your life.

Your view of 'intrusive' is very different to mine, that's for sure. In my opinion, it's very sensible for them to check the reasons for the multiple vehicle changes. Their questioning helps to protect them and you.

In my view, I would suggest that you are being overly sensitive and would recommend that you furnish them with sufficient information so that they can note their records that there is legitimate reasons for the multiple changes.

That said, you have already said that you would not wish to provide this information, unless it's a legal requirement, which is certainly your prerogative. However, please be prepared for the consequences.

DM
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you really don't want to aswer them, I suggst you don't wait for them to cancel your policy, which would require you to declare that each time you applied in the future.

Cancel it yourself, and move to another insurer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure