Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mica98
    • By Mica98 18th Oct 19, 10:00 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mica98
    Is my mom charging too much?
    • 18th Oct 19, 10:00 AM
    Is my mom charging too much? 18th Oct 19 at 10:00 AM
    Hi, so I am currently working part time and studying with the OU. I earn £700 a month and my mom takes £250 in board (reduced from £350), on top of that I have over £200 of my own bills to pay. I'm a bit annoyed as she has started asking me to pay bills out of my own money, is that not what board is for? I'd like to add that as I'm studying with the OU, I'm not entitled to a Student loan, so I don't have any extra money.

Do you think this is fair? And before anyone says "wait until you have your own place" I most likely will have graduated by then and have a full time job.
Page 4
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 18th Oct 19, 8:54 PM
    • 6,060 Posts
    • 7,513 Thanks
    theoretica
    As I said in my post, by then, I will have graduated and have a full time job. Since I only have time to work part time, it seems like too much money at the moment.
    Originally posted by Mica98

That is the reality of working part time - if I reduced my hours at work the price of milk, electricity or anything else wouldn't change. I would just have less money and more time.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • rikbar
    • By rikbar 19th Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    rikbar
    Hi Mica98

Welcome to the world of many children who have now turned adult and whose family either canít or wonít provide the lifestyle they were used to for free anymore. The reasons for this can be many and I have no idea as to your motherís situation but can only assume from your posts that she isnít flush and probably relied upon benefits when you were at an age they could be claimed.

The concept of what is fair is hard, and between family members difficult to agree on with all the emotions etc. My oldest would always look at what his mates got and say it was unfair he didnít get the same, he really couldnít understand that families have very different situations and therefore life, rather than what he got from us, was unfair.

Standing back as an observer the only way you can determine if things are fair is to look at what it would cost if you had to live in a similar situation with a non family member. I did this with my son, we went on spare room and looked at similar sized houses, estimated the cost of food for the week on a Tesco shop and then added any other costs. He was saving over £300 per month by living with us, so he wasnít being ripped off, indeed had we booted him out we could have rented his room and made an additional £250. Once he realised that he was better off here he appreciated the extra £300 in his pocket a little more.

Hope you manage to come to some agreement with your mum, and good luck with the degree
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 19th Oct 19, 9:09 AM
    • 39,567 Posts
    • 163,717 Thanks
    silvercar
    What happens next year, when you hopefully move on to university and possibly move out into uni halls or a student shared rental? Will your Mum be financially self sufficient? Has she thought ahead to balance her own budget when living alone?

From your posts it seems that she is relying on the money she gets from you. Maybe your Mum also needs to do some budgeting!
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 19th Oct 19, 5:51 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    A very basic idea of what bills there are for the household might be useful Mica, ask your mum if there are any others.

Food etc ( to include toiletries/cleaning items or calculate these separately)
    Gas/electric
    Water rates ( if metered there will be more water used by 2 of you than if mum was there alone)
    Rent/Mortgage
    Land line phone and broadband
    Contents insurance

If your mum is on a low income it might be that she is really worried about keeping a roof over both your heads. At your age she will have 'lost' the various benefits that might have been available to her when you were younger.

And an important one, Council Tax. if your mum lived alone she would get a 25% discount. If she's having to pay the full amount, that might be a struggle.
    Originally posted by Purbeck
    You can still get the 25% as one is a student on low income.
  • archived user
    You can still get the 25% as one is a student on low income.
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    Quite possibly thanks Zero Sum. Info here
    https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-full-time-students
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 19th Oct 19, 6:06 PM
    • 10,630 Posts
    • 64,691 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Does your mum work? Does she receive the right amount of benefits she should receive?

Could you sit down with her and approach it from a, I think we are struggling start to the discussion. From there get a piece of paper and note down all the outgoings (and incomings if she will tell you). Check https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ to ensure she is getting all the benefits she should be and take it from there. Try to take a practical view to the discussion in terms of figures rather than, you put the tumble dryer on too much type of conversation and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Ms Chocaholic; 19-10-2019 at 6:34 PM.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • duchy
    • By duchy 19th Oct 19, 6:43 PM
    • 18,414 Posts
    • 46,890 Thanks
    duchy
    When I attempt to buy my own food, it's apparently "inconsiderate" as I'm not buying for the both of us lmao
    Originally posted by Mica98
    Well if she bought food just for her , would that be inconsiderate too?
    Ultimately working only part time is your choice, no one is forcing you to stay in education .
    Many adults study with the OU or at traditional universities and also work as they donít have the option to do otherwise as they need to pay market rate rent .
    Is it possible your Mum now feels that as an adult (you donít mention your age) essentially house sharing with her now she should no longer be financially supporting your choices ?
    It honestly doesnít sound a bad deal and one youíd struggle to find in a non family house share. (Of course in a non family house share if every conversation about bills turned into a row youíd soon find yourself out on your ear !)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    • duchy
    • By duchy 19th Oct 19, 6:46 PM
    • 18,414 Posts
    • 46,890 Thanks
    duchy
    Does your mum work? Does she receive the right amount of benefits she should receive?

Could you sit down with her and approach it from a, I think we are struggling start to the discussion. From there get a piece of paper and note down all the outgoings (and incomings if she will tell you). Check https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ to ensure she is getting all the benefits she should be and take it from there. Try to take a practical view to the discussion in terms of figures rather than, you put the tumble dryer on too much type of conversation and see how it goes.
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    Big assumption that the Mum is on benefits.
    I know full time students are exempt from Council tax , I donít think part time students are so is that something also coming from the bank of Mum? It may very well be the OP just doesnít realise how much sheís actually costing her Mum each month.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 19th Oct 19, 7:44 PM
    • 11,067 Posts
    • 20,978 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    It is possible to get a student loan when studying with the OU http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-and-funding#funding-options-tab.
    However the course you are undertaking may mean that you are not eligible.
    Originally posted by dreaming
    You can only get a maintainance loan if you have significant disabilities which mean you cannot attend a campus uni. I have one and it’s very very hard, almost impossible to get. It is possible also to get a grant but only if you live in Wales. Student loans are readily available for fees only but they are paid directly to the university, the student doesn’t see a penny. Also student reduction for council tax would be available to the OP as they’re doing 120 credits.
    Last edited by Mrs_Ryan; 19-10-2019 at 7:51 PM.
    Open University 2:1 Graduate 2017; MA at DMU complete 2018- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 PASS! E117 &DE100. Year 2- K220 and E235.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Civil Partnership 15/02/20
    Strictly 2019- TEAM RAMSEY!
    Elle
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 19th Oct 19, 8:35 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,776 Thanks
    diggingdude
    Can mum cope if you move out, because that's what you really need to be doing? Not sure which part of the black country you are in but some areas have cheap house shares. Have a look if you can save money by moving, even if it's costing you the same/a little bit more it may be worth it for your sanity (and potentially your mother's).

How much do you reckon it's costing mum to run the house without you?
    House owner as of 27.3.2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,152Posts Today

7,248Users online

Martin's Twitter