Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cattie
    • By cattie 17th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    • 8,122Posts
    • 5,656Thanks
    cattie
    Buying delivery via ebay more costly?
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    Buying delivery via ebay more costly? 17th Oct 19 at 1:44 PM
    I did a search but couldn't find an answer on mse. It's only over the past week I've attempted to purchase courier delivery via ebay. It was via Shutl the last time I used it, but now it seems that the new company ebay has switched to works out 1 more expensive for a medium parcel compared to me booking & buying direct from Hermes.

If the courier prices are more costly via ebay, then what on earth can be the benefit of using them as opposed to buying a delivery service direct? I'm not sure if I'm missing something here as ebay seem to indicate that you save money by using their delivery services?
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
Page 1
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 17th Oct 19, 2:02 PM
    • 2,140 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    swingaloo
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:02 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:02 PM
    I use Ebay postage for my parcels but they are all small parcels or large letters which I send by Royal Mail and they are cheaper for those.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Oct 19, 2:24 PM
    • 62,856 Posts
    • 45,251 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:24 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:24 PM
    I did a search but couldn't find an answer on mse. It's only over the past week I've attempted to purchase courier delivery via ebay. It was via Shutl the last time I used it, but now it seems that the new company ebay has switched to works out 1 more expensive for a medium parcel compared to me booking & buying direct from Hermes.

If the courier prices are more costly via ebay, then what on earth can be the benefit of using them as opposed to buying a delivery service direct? I'm not sure if I'm missing something here as ebay seem to indicate that you save money by using their delivery services?
    Originally posted by cattie
    It varies as the prices seem to change frequently. However, just recently many couriers have been cheaper direct, but then they were under the old system. It always pays to check each day and compare prices.

I use Ebay postage for my parcels but they are all small parcels or large letters which I send by Royal Mail and they are cheaper for those.
    Originally posted by swingaloo
    Large letters are the same price as buying over the counter. However small parcels are 2.90 2nd class which is the same as the RM online, but 10p cheaper than over the counter.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,034Posts Today

7,228Users online

Martin's Twitter