Consent and indemnity agreement

Urgent help needed!!!!

Visited my friend and he took my car without my knowledge, had it involved in an accident and only found out when he returned it and informed me. He said it was a small crack on the bonnet and no pictures were taken. My car suffered some minor damages too.

I didnot do anything but waited until when my insurance contacted me and I told them what happened, because my friend is not insured as he has no driving licence, the insurance said they were going to pay the climant but won't do any repairs to my car as i was not the one driving at the time of the accident. They then cancelled my policy and had to find insurance somewhere else. (This was not easy at all being a newly qualified driver).
Now, one year down the road, the insurance have contacted me and asked me to sign an indemnity and consent form so that they settle the claim and then send me the bill to pay them all the money back including their fees. PLEASE ADVICE: Is there any way i can get out of this without having to pay back (am not financially stable at the moment) since the car was insured and was not aware that my friend had taken it. Many thanks

Comments

• Did you report your friend to the Police for TWOC?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Did you report your friend to the Police for TWOC?
    Which would have been the only way for OP to extricate themselves from this situation. I assume they did not so they are stuck with a black mark on their insurance file for a very long time on top of this bill from the insurer.
  • i did not report him to the police as i didn't know i could do it after he had brought the car back coz that's when i got to know of the accident. I was a newly qualified driver with no knowledge about such cases
  • molerat wrote: »
    Which would have been the only way for OP to extricate themselves from this situation. I assume they did not so they are stuck with a black mark on their insurance file for a very long time on top of this bill from the insurer.

Is it too late now to go to police and make a statement?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure