Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackeeBoy
    • By JackeeBoy 16th Oct 19, 4:35 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 64Thanks
    JackeeBoy
    Drivers of expensive cars - do you get paranoid?
    • 16th Oct 19, 4:35 PM
    Drivers of expensive cars - do you get paranoid? 16th Oct 19 at 4:35 PM
    Or any decent car to be honest.

First week I got my car, in the car park someone opened their door on mine and put a dent in it. I was highly annoyed. Within the year, someone somehow knocked of my wing mirror whilst parked on a wide road. I've had the front of my car scraped, back scraped, rear ended twice and last month, someone reversed into me (again whilst I'm stationary) in a car park. Also also, a truck scrapes my car leaving a round about and today someone put deep scratches on the front side whilst coming out of a parking space next to me.

Good thing I drive a 7 year old Fiesta.

For those with more expensive cars, are you paranoid about where you park it etc.and do you take extra measures to ensure it's safe? I have friends who'll park is disabled bays, parent bays or pick up points in car parks to avoid people hitting it. My neighbour bought an old banger just so he can keep his space when he takes his BMW out. He'll literally swap them around in our cul De sac so he doesn't have to park on the main street.

I know of someone who double parks and will only leave his car in a place it's very difficult to see anyone accidentally damaging it. Hell, one friend rents out driveways through an app when he leaves his car for the station despite there being free parking on the road!
Page 1
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 16th Oct 19, 4:39 PM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 16th Oct 19, 4:39 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 4:39 PM
    I would...so I don't!!

Like with most nice expensive things, someone else will either try to steal it or damage it!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • facade
    • By facade 16th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    • 4,064 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    facade
    • 16th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    I always park on the empty part of the carpark miles from the shops, and 20 minutes later when I return with the shopping, there will be another car parked 5cm from mine on an otherwise empty carpark
    They do it purposefully to annoy me, and make my day a little bit more miserable....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Alanp
    • By Alanp 16th Oct 19, 6:00 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Alanp
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:00 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:00 PM
    I have a two year old car, I will always try and park away from other cars if possible, but hey if someone is going to damage it then they will damage it, I have a dash cam with park mode so hopefully it’ll pick anything up, but hey ho, life’s too short
    • fred246
    • By fred246 16th Oct 19, 6:11 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    fred246
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:11 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:11 PM
    Cars are supposed to give you the freedom to go where you want when you want. Get a posh one and you lose that freedom.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 19, 6:23 PM
    • 19,534 Posts
    • 12,215 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:23 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:23 PM
    I take pride in looking after my cars whether i've spent 300 or 30,000 on them.

I hate to see them damaged, particularly through other peoples negligence or lack or respect for other peoples property.

Sadly there is an element in society who cant stand that other people have a nicer / more expensive car than them or clearly look after their car so seem to take pleasure in whacking their door off your car or scuffing it with a trolley or handbag.

It is fortunate i guess that the sort of person who does that tends to be sort who wants as close as possible to the door of the shop so they dont have to waddle too far and risk breaking a sweat, thus parking at the far side of the car park in an end space removes 99% of the risk
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Oct 19, 6:26 PM
    • 67,436 Posts
    • 395,103 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:26 PM
    My car's got several bumps and scrapes of unknown origins... I was kind of pleased after the first one as it meant I could stop worrying.

I've not paid a penny to fix them as there'll be another.

My car cost me 7k, I've had it nearly 10 years, it's worth sub 1k at a guess.

I'd never be able to drive an expensive car anywhere for all the fears of damage!
    • Belenus
    • By Belenus 16th Oct 19, 6:26 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    Belenus
    Drivers of expensive cars - do you get paranoid?
    Or any decent car to be honest..
    Originally posted by JackeeBoy
    Not much.

I buy nearly new used cars so they usually have a few cosmetic marks already.

My current car was pristine when I bought it four years ago as it had only done a few hundred miles.

I was irritated when the first car park dings happened but I don't stress about things over which I have little or no control.

It now has a few dings and scratches but it still looks in good condition unless you get very close up to it.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 16th Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    Your friend parks in disabled bays for the sake of his car?

Have you let him know that makes him a complete knob end?
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 16th Oct 19, 6:37 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Supersonos
    I had a Range Rover which I bought new at a cost of 87k. I was very paranoid about it getting stolen, dented in car parks, someone spilling something inside. I got rid of it after a couple of years and was quite relieved.

Glad I've had a car that nice, but also glad I don't have it anymore.

I have friends who'll park is disabled bays,
    This, by the way, is disgusting and unforgiveable. Anyone who did this would be no friend of mine.
    Last edited by Supersonos; 16-10-2019 at 6:39 PM.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 16th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    My cars already come prepared with chips and scratches so any new ones just blend in
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th Oct 19, 6:40 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 3,000 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Are you indicating that those of us who drive older cars don't care about what happens to them?

I certainly do and nothing !!!!ed me off more than someone damaging my car and driving away without leaving their details!
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 16th Oct 19, 7:01 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    I guess it depends where you live, where you drive and where you park. I don't get paranoid and never had such bad luck described in the first post.

Had only one car damaged slightly while parked on the street. Damage was masked by the culprit, so it wasn't visible straight away and only came to light about 2 months later (I checked back photos of the car to find out when it happened). Mercedes dealer didn't notice it either during the service, so their checks are useless. It costed me about 200 to fix it at the dealer.

Otherwise, all my brand new cars are doing fine and if any damage happens, it's due to my own mistake. I don't count stone chips at the front of the car, as it's natural when you drive a lot or fast (Germany).

I do care where I park at public car parks, I look for good spots, away from other cars, etc. It's not always possible to park away, also one of my cars is quite large and tend to stick out from parking spaces. So far (touch wood), no dings. Good strategy is to park by other expensive cars and avoid bangers.

So to summarise it: "no, I don't worry to much about my decent/new/expensive car".

• JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 16th Oct 19, 7:15 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    I have a 10 year old car and it was broken into despite all the other cars there being newer and nicer!

We thought it was probably targeted because the newer cars have alarm systems and because it's so expensive people would assume it was heavily secured.

Would still be paranoid though if I had an expensive car.
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: 2295.22/3000
    Deposit Fund: 7234.95/?
    • Simby
    • By Simby 16th Oct 19, 7:50 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Simby
    My car is not new but I do park in the emptiest spot in the car park, and I will time my visits so it’s quiet and the car park is not full.. I also chose a place in the corner so if the car park fills up the risk is only to one side .

If it’s likely to be a full car park we take hubbys car!

One of my non negotiable on our house was a driveway for the car, I have a designated car parking space at work under the building so it’s safe there too
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 16th Oct 19, 7:54 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    Arklight
    I live in an area with a high proportion of elderlies so am very careful to park well away from them.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 19, 7:56 PM
    • 19,534 Posts
    • 12,215 Thanks
    motorguy
    Are you indicating that those of us who drive older cars don't care about what happens to them?

I certainly do and nothing !!!!ed me off more than someone damaging my car and driving away without leaving their details!
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    +1

Some of the cars i've enjoyed ownership of the most have been worth a few hundred pounds tops.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 16th Oct 19, 8:15 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    Cars are supposed to give you the freedom to go where you want when you want. Get a posh one and you lose that freedom.
    Originally posted by fred246
    Not necessarily. I like nice cars, and use them just as ai would a cheap one.

I used to have an R8, and happily used it to go to the Aldi in Blyth.
    • SHAFT
    • By SHAFT 16th Oct 19, 8:16 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    SHAFT
    Or any decent car to be honest.

First week I got my car, in the car park someone opened their door on mine and put a dent in it. I was highly annoyed. Within the year, someone somehow knocked of my wing mirror whilst parked on a wide road. I've had the front of my car scraped, back scraped, rear ended twice and last month, someone reversed into me (again whilst I'm stationary) in a car park. Also also, a truck scrapes my car leaving a round about and today someone put deep scratches on the front side whilst coming out of a parking space next to me.

Good thing I drive a 7 year old Fiesta.

For those with more expensive cars, are you paranoid about where you park it etc.and do you take extra measures to ensure it's safe? I have friends who'll park is disabled bays, parent bays or pick up points in car parks to avoid people hitting it. My neighbour bought an old banger just so he can keep his space when he takes his BMW out. He'll literally swap them around in our cul De sac so he doesn't have to park on the main street.

I know of someone who double parks and will only leave his car in a place it's very difficult to see anyone accidentally damaging it. Hell, one friend rents out driveways through an app when he leaves his car for the station despite there being free parking on the road!
    Wow so many accidents, I bet your insurance is steep.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 16th Oct 19, 8:19 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    EssexExile
    It's just a car, they get damaged. My car is about 8 months old & already has marks on it. It'll get a lot worse before I get rid of it in about 10 years.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

739Posts Today

6,803Users online

Martin's Twitter